M1102 Trailer Build for Hummer H1

Travis Howle

Hey guys, Fresno invited me over from the HML -- spoke highly of the people over here and there experience with Expedition Trailer Builds! :)

On to the good stuff! I'm acquiring an M1102 trailer, my plans are to switch everything out to 12v electrical, sand blast it and paint it the same color as my HUMMER. Then the big project; build either a permanent or drop-in type aluminum box/shelter/body to go in the back to use as a tool storage area, simple shelter on the inside, storage, and electronics "post" in the sense, of having the wireless internet, electrical connections, satellite tv, weatherproof LED tv, etc.

Either way.. here are some 3D renderings of what I'm thinking.. still in the midst of trying to decide if it's cheaper for me to build it myself, or just have a good aluminum / fabrication company fabricate it; as I don't currently have a welder or any metal working tools.

I'm more of a "wood" guy -- however, I'm not too sure if that would be a good idea to build the frame out of wood?

Also -- while on the topic; if I do decide to try and build the whole thing myself, does anyone know a good place to acquire those storage compartment doors with that style latch/opening handle, as well as the rear door? I've looked on McMaster-Carr and couldn't find anything except for square-only access doors.

Travis-Trailer-001.jpgTravis-Trailer-002.jpgTravis-Trailer-003.jpgTravis-Trailer-004.jpgTravis-Trailer-005.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Welcome! Looks like a great design.
You could buy a welder with a spool gun and knock this out in a month,
or find a local fab shop that could work from your drawings.

Did you consider the military version in fiberglass?

Attachments

• id_ltt-hmt_trailer_m1101_04_700.jpg
    id_ltt-hmt_trailer_m1101_04_700.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 33
  • trailer_lg.jpg
    trailer_lg.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 28

Travis Howle

I considered that.. in fact, I contacted them -- they want over $6,000 for it! I quickly responded with a hell-no!

Fresno

Adventurer
Welcome over here Travis. Several quality trailer builders are very active on this forum. I think you are on the right track for the M1102. I was holding out for a cheap military cap myself, but they are becoming rare. Your design is promising.

I will look for latches if I get any leads.

Travis Howle

Might try to build an area on the front for a 10-15 gallon water container, and then a locked compartment capable of holding 4 Jerry Can's (2 Diesel, and 2 Gas).

Travis-Trailer-006.jpg

Xrunner

Explorer
Nice sketch-ups!

Have you considered a locked rack on top of the tongue to keep the weight/center of gravity lower?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
If you're a wood guy, then go with that....you won't be disappointed.

With proper screwing and gluing...you can accomplish whatever you need.

Welcome aboard...nice concept drawings...good luck with the build.

Travis Howle

Hmm.. worried the wood might not have the strength to hold up offroad or while traveling 60MPH down the road -- thoughts?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Hmm.. worried the wood might not have the strength to hold up offroad or while traveling 60MPH down the road -- thoughts?

Well I guess there's two trains of thought concerning wood..

The first is a group of guys that are the finesse guys, used to building boats, fine cabinetry,etc....they use and have joint connections and fastening techniques that are unique, strong, and proven, and can be complicated. Not many things take more of a pounding than a boat....and there are a few builds on here that reflect that type of quality.

The second group (and this is where I'll be lumped into ) are the house framers, turned cabinet maker, turned half assed trailer builder, and are not quite as creative or resourceful as the first, but have enough knowledge to build a strong, substantial structure, that should withstand some pretty serious pounding. Never let fear and common sense hold you back.

I used 2x4's on edge, screwed and glued (construction adhesive) the joints, and screwed and glued 1/2' ply on that...it will take some serious torque (it's not how many screws you put in, it's how WELL you put them in) to destroy it. ....but it is limited to 10 bolts that secure it to the trailer platform. Think Alaskan Campers..proven platform, running the Alcan

In your design, I don't see if you're planning to have a removable pod..or is it something that would stay in the trailer full time? That would obviously dictate subtle changes. Those trailers are a nice clean slate with tons and tons of potential..especially when you guys have TV's that never even know it's back there.

p.s....I have an awesome slideout/pop up design that would be friggin killer on one of these trailers.

Travis Howle

Alright, I'm just throwing the idea around to make it out of wood -- because I've got everything I need here to do the wood cutting and fabricating.

I would then cover the outside with metal (aluminum) sheets to match the rest of the vehicle and trailer.

Plus, wood is cheaper and easier to work with vs. metal, at least in my opinion.. but, that's coming from someone with no metal experience, and no metal working tools!

This might be overkill, then again it might not even be enough.. don't really have much experience actually making structural load bearing frames, especially around all these openings ... need some advice and your thoughts?

Entire Wood Frame:
Travis-TrailerConstruct-001.jpg

Rear Frame for Doors:
Travis-TrailerConstruct-002.jpg

Front, and Driver Side Frame -- with Window, and 3 compartment door openings:
Travis-TrailerConstruct-003.jpg

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
This is kind of what I mean...putting the wood on edge instead of the more conventional way...

This is based off the size of the M1101 measurements I could find online...I don't have any idea of your actuals...so I winged it.

I was thinking more of a "cap" type top, as opposed to something that fit in the bed.....probably need a bit more detail what you have in mind for the "interior". I think it would be easier to secure, and would make for a watertight seal.

After looking at those trailers more in depth tonight...i would also extend the tongue a couple of feet...utilize some of that real estate up front.

It's by no means finished....I was hoping it would help you understand a bit better.

Attachments

• travis1.jpg
    travis1.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 39

Fresno

Adventurer
After looking at those trailers more in depth tonight...i would also extend the tongue a couple of feet...utilize some of that real estate up front.

Very elegant design, looks lighter.

I have been looking for a way to extend the tongue. I'm concerned that the tongue is aluminum and riveted together. Any ideas?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Very elegant design, looks lighter.

I have been looking for a way to extend the tongue. I'm concerned that the tongue is aluminum and riveted together. Any ideas?

Thanks..

After looking at quite a few pictures, but not really finding a good shot of the underneath of one of these, I can only guess at the framing detail. The front angles (which I suspect are 45) look to go under, but it's strictly a guess without pictures. I think I would look to extend it 3'-4'....by a type of "cradle" that either fits under the existing, or remove the existing and secure a new, extended cradle in it's place. The blue line in the pic would indicate the front of the tub.

I think one of my questions would be.... can you retrofit electric brakes to the Torsion axle and eliminate the pintle and surge brake? (and open it up for say a multi-axis type coupler) I'm sure that considering the size of your trucks, you probably can't even tell the trailer is back there....so the retrofitting may be a moot point, and not worth the aggravation or expense. If you were to extend the tongue, for say, water tank and batteries, on a platform that beefy....does 500-600 lbs. of tongue weight even matter?

I do believe that extending the tongue, would improve the handing characteristics of the trailer, and buy you some additional storage up front, although it would affect the tighter turning radius currently enjoying, but a nice trade off would be, probably a real pleasure to back up.

Attachments

• Fresno1.jpg
    Fresno1.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 29

Fresno

Adventurer
Here is the chasis trailer, which is the same as the M1120.

6ceb477d.jpg

I am thinking of bolting a beam underneath the existing tongue. The hitch (by Titan) is bolted on top of the tongue which uses 3 grade 8 bolts. I am thinking of remounting the hitch on the extension beam (steel or aluminum?) to lower the hitch a few inches.

Thank you for consulting on this. I will get actual photos tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicotoup