M1102 Trailer build

Kfred 513

Just found this in a search and wondered if you know the wall thickness of the square tubing you used? Look like 2" square. I'm trying to use 1.5" x 3" rectangle but I'm concerned about flex in the cross bars when it's loaded (RTT, storage, solar, etc.).

In your 12/3/22 post you said "The original rack design wasn't rigid enough so I had to add supports around the top to prevent everything flexing." What part is this? Sounds like you stayed with the same material though, just added more.

Hey,

The flex I experienced was in the vertical legs that the rack telescopes on. The tube itself didn't flex, but the base plate was flexing at the point it mounted at the trailer. I used 1/8" steel plate and would recommend 1/4" to anyone doing the same thing.

I solved the rigidity problem by connecting all 4 corners with tube at the top. It worked out great because I mounted my awning to it. And a paper towel holder over the tailgate.

The vertical legs are 2" square,1/8" wall, and the platform material is 1.5" square, .070" wall measured with calipers.

Let me know if you need clarification on any of that!

TeamAnvil

Hey,

The flex I experienced was in the vertical legs that the rack telescopes on. The tube itself didn't flex, but the base plate was flexing at the point it mounted at the trailer. I used 1/8" steel plate and would recommend 1/4" to anyone doing the same thing.

I solved the rigidity problem by connecting all 4 corners with tube at the top. It worked out great because I mounted my awning to it. And a paper towel holder over the tailgate.

The vertical legs are 2" square,1/8" wall, and the platform material is 1.5" square, .070" wall measured with calipers.

Let me know if you need clarification on any of that!
Got it! That makes sense. My design will be connected at all four corners up top and on both sides and front on the bottom. I have .125" plate now but will consider .25 as I haven't made anything yet.

Kfred 513

Got it! That makes sense. My design will be connected at all four corners up top and on both sides and front on the bottom. I have .125" plate now but will consider .25 as I haven't made anything yet.

The real problem with the .125" is the fact that there isn't mounting holes on all sides. You're basically mounting the plate on 2 of 3 sides and the corners lift if the vertical supports are pulled toward the center by adding weight to the tent platform. The horizontal supports solved it, so you could use the .125, but .25 would be the better option IMO.

TeamAnvil

Just wanted to share with you where I am with mine. Plate at corners is .25"!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77