M416 Trailer 5 on 5 Rims?

hansen65

I just got what I am pretty sure is an M416 trailer. It is in really rough shape and no longer has any of its identification tags on it. There is a number stamped in the frame but I have no idea how to decode it. Also it has the word Republic stamped on it just above the tongue.

JeepTrailer002.jpg

I plan on bringing it back to life by replacing the rear wall of the tub that someone had hacked out. I also will be building a lid for it and RTT later down the road.

I plan on pulling it on the trails behind a 2009 JK Rubicon and want to use matching stock rims (5 on 5 bolt pattern).

Has anyone has found stock replacement hubs for the M416 that accept 5 on 5 rims?

If not, any good recommendations on a place to get a replacement axel?

I was considering getting a 3500 lb axel with electric brakes. I thought it might be advantageous to have the brakes on the trail with all the steep hills I encounter.

I tried searching the forum for M416 5 on 5 hubs but it removed 5 from the search and just gave me every thread ever on the M416. Not much help.

hansen65

Thats an older M100 style, rounded fenders and set brake handle are the same as my 1953 M100.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info. Will it still use the CJ 3 and CJ 5 front springs and shocks like the M416?

I thought the M100 was a 3/4 ton trailer not a 1/4 ton trailer. Near as I can tell dimensions seem the same as an M416.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
There are a few threads in this forum (in the Expedition trailer forum)on where to buy a new axle, built to your specs.

Maybe try searching for 'replacement axle'?:coffeedrink:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
hansen65, I found a couple threads with axle and adapter info:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47621&highlight=axle

This one (above) has the contact info for Martyn at AT, they may be able to help.

Axle link/info:

For both (all) of you, Dexter makes an electric brake equipped axle WITH a cable actuated parking brake as well.

PAGE 27

I was going to do the spacer route but for a little bit more I ended up getting a complete 3500lb axle with the right hubs from ABC trailer supply.

Still looking for the sepcific link/info one member posted. The place sold custom axles very reasonable, and I believe he had the same trailer.

O

oO_Rogue_Oo

I plan on pulling it on the trails behind a 2009 JK Rubicon and want to use matching stock rims (5 on 5 bolt pattern).

Has anyone has found stock replacement hubs for the M416 that accept 5 on 5 rims?

If not, any good recommendations on a place to get a replacement axel?

I'm not an expert but:

Finding hubs to fit the stock JK rims is going to be a problem. The JK rims are hub centric and will not fit the stock trailer axle. You can use adapters / spacers to convert the 5x5.5 to 5x5 (they need to be at least 1.5 inches thick to clear the center hub of the trailer axle) and use your stock JK rims that way or you can repalce the axle.

hansen65

hansen65, I found a couple threads with axle and adapter info:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47621&highlight=axle

This one (above) has the contact info for Martyn at AT, they may be able to help.

Axle link/info:

Still looking for the specific link/info one member posted. The place sold custom axles very reasonable, and I believe he had the same trailer.

I'm not an expert but:

Finding hubs to fit the stock JK rims is going to be a problem. The JK rims are hub centric and will not fit the stock trailer axle. You can use adapters / spacers to convert the 5x5.5 to 5x5 (they need to be at least 1.5 inches thick to clear the center hub of the trailer axle) and use your stock JK rims that way or you can replace the axle.

Looks like using the old axle wont be as easy as I was hoping it would be. I am liking the axle with both electronic brakes and a parking brake, I will have to look into that further.

I did a little more digging and it appears my trailer might be an MBT and not an M100. It has only one floor drain and no handles in the corners of the tub. However the brake handle looks more like the one from the M100 and not the MBT so I am still not sure.

hansen65

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42506&highlight=1965

Here's what I did to convert my M-416A1 (essentially the same parts as a M-100) to 5x5 rims. I was able to use most of the stock parts. If you have questions let me know.

Which spacer/adapters did you use to accommodate the JK rims? Was the center hub on your trailer axel biger then the one on your JK? Mine is a lot larger in diameter then the one on the Jeep. I would need a really deep spacer to get past it for the hub centric wheels to clear.

j_rhamilton

Which spacer/adapters did you use to accommodate the JK rims? Was the center hub on your trailer axel biger then the one on your JK? Mine is a lot larger in diameter then the one on the Jeep. I would need a really deep spacer to get past it for the hub centric wheels to clear.

Sorry I meant to post a link to a different forum. It has more detail on my build. The spacers I used I found off of ebay. I think I did a search for "5 x 5.5 to 5 x 5 adapter" they were someting like $68 for a pair. I used the 2in size but I think the 1.5in size would have been a better chioce to keep the wheels closer in on the trailer. I also had to buy new 3in studs. Outside of that I pretty much used all the original parts.

Here's a better link to check out:

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?122593-1965-Parkhurst-M416A1-Trailer-Rebuild

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy

Members online