M900 Series Build

Ohanacreek

I'm looking at a low mileage, refurbished M900 series 6x6.

I like it because it's a 5 ton and can carry a fairly large custom RV box and pull a trailer to haul a SXS for exploration into the wooded backcountry where the rig is just too large to fit. With 54" super singles and a turbo motor I can get interstate speed out of one(which is about all I'd want to do with 54" tires and 25k of 13' tall vehicle)

I have been lurking on here for a while and have found a lot of great information on materials and construction, as well as many other things.

What I can't find are layouts of how different rigs are set up for more than 2 people( family of 3 would be 4 before the rig would be finished)

Any ideas would be helpful.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Have you ever driven one? I have and while I would rate the experience as "interesting" it's not something I would choose to do for pleasure. Might be OK if you limited yourself to driving 2 - 3 hours at a time but beyond that, I think it would be exhausting.

Ohanacreek

What were the issues for you?

I had hoped that with 5-6k lbs in RV parts the ride would smooth out some as well as air ride seats, insulation,AC, and sound deadening.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
What were the issues for you?

I had hoped that with 5-6k lbs in RV parts the ride would smooth out some as well as air ride seats, insulation,AC, and sound deadening.
This is a military truck designed to be rugged and capable - comfort was NOT a factor. When I was stationed in Germany I learned very quickly to tell the platoon sergeant that I knew how to drive a manual. That way I got assigned to drive the M35A2 Deuce-and-a-half. Others in my section liked the M900 because it had an automatic tranny and power steering but I hated it. Hell, I preferred driving the M577:
MeandChester2_zpsz8ia0syz.jpg

The cabin is small, VERY noisy, and cramped if you're tall (I'm 6'1" and I felt very cramped in it.) Forget about listening to music or holding a conversation with the other person in the cab unless you enjoy shouting at each other.
The steering is vague and it handles corners like a grocery cart. Sitting about 10 - 11' off the ground you feel "disconnected" from the road in a way that makes it difficult to relax. The big boxy hood has a blind spot big enough to hide a VW or three.
I guess if you aim the "money cannon" and pull the trigger anything is possible but it seems to me like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. ;)

Ohanacreek

I wish I had a money cannon I can get a M900 for around 25k refurbished with 54" singles air ride seats, insulation,AC, and sound deadening. The ruggedness is one of the things drew me to the M900 along with the auto. I get being 10' off the road leaves you disconnected I don't plan on weaving through traffic or trying to corner like a sports car. It is what it is, you gotta drive it for what it is.

Then I was going to build the rest myself.

Will a M35A2 run 70mph? From my understanding it won't and if you put larger tires on it it won't pull the load and a trailer. That's why I had looked at the M900s.

This is the most detailed conversation I have had to date about the M900, on paper it looks like what I need but if there is a better alternative I'm open.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would simply advise you to drive one if you have not done so. I don't know much about expo-capable large trucks but I would think that one of the big IVECO or Volvo or similar COE type trucks might work better. At least the trucks that were designed for 'civilian' use are more likely to have creature comforts and be adaptable to a more "livable" vehicle than something designed to function in a combat zone.

Ohanacreek

I would simply advise you to drive one if you have not done so. I don't know much about expo-capable large trucks but I would think that one of the big IVECO or Volvo or similar COE type trucks might work better. At least the trucks that were designed for 'civilian' use are more likely to have creature comforts and be adaptable to a more "livable" vehicle than something designed to function in a combat zone.

I don't disagree with those suggestions I originally looked at a civilian use truck.

I would however have to use your proverbial money canon to get one, used they are still 3-4 times what the cost of a M900 would be refurbished with some added comforts.

Definitely a different route too look at but still looking for floor plans.

Ohanacreek

I had a chance to drive an M900 that had some of the upgrades I'm looking at. Sound insulation being the biggie, you're right altitude sickness started to kick in when I got into city traffic.

The sound insulation along with relocated exhaust kept cab noise to about 80db which is inline with my Silverado crew cab on the interstate.

quickfarms

Adventurer
70 mph ?

Those super singles are only rated for 55 mph.

After some time you get used to the height and blind spots.

Ohanacreek

70 mph ?

Didn't think they'd be rated that low...gotta look at that.

Yeah just have to remember there's a car in you're blind spot that you're about to crush.

Ohanacreek

70 mph ?

I check the tires I was looking at and they are rated for 68mph which makes sense considering there intended use but considering that's 2mph from the max I'll probably ever run the truck it doesn't worry me as much as a 55mph rating.

I know the truck is big, wide, long, heavy, loud, and designed for combat zones.

I figure if it can survive an 18 year old kid scared witless in a combat zone, it will be living a life of leisure with the way I'll be using it. Anything worth building is worth over building, I'd rather not have something break if I can help it.

As it sits in CAD at the moment my empty but skinned RV box weights @2000lbs for the average of 5 designs.

I have another 3000-3500ish lbs allotted for the interior build out, genset, solar/batteries, water, propane and waste water. Most of that weight will be concentrated near the level of the frame as its gen, batteries and water.

That keeps me at or near the suggested 5000lb off-road capacity for the M900 series.

Found this layout online that is actually a buildout of a M900 or M1070(WAY OVERKILL)

842c828a23e6d53f63373d3952b7e47d.jpg

what are some suggestions?

I check the tires I was looking at and they are rated for 68mph which makes sense considering there intended use but considering that's 2mph from the max I'll probably ever run the truck it doesn't worry me as much as a 55mph rating.

I know the truck is big, wide, long, heavy, loud, and designed for combat zones.

I figure if it can survive an 18 year old kid scared witless in a combat zone, it will be living a life of leisure with the way I'll be using it. Anything worth building is worth over building, I'd rather not have something break if I can help it.

As it sits in CAD at the moment my empty but skinned RV box weights @2000lbs for the average of 5 designs.

I have another 3000-3500ish lbs allotted for the interior build out, genset, solar/batteries, water, propane and waste water. Most of that weight will be concentrated near the level of the frame as its gen, batteries and water.

That keeps me at or near the suggested 5000lb off-road capacity for the M900 series.

what are some suggestions?

Have you ever actually driven a truck like this? 70 mph is VERY fast.

Charlie

Ohanacreek

I had a chance to drive an M900 that had some of the upgrades I'm looking at. Sound insulation being the biggie, you're right altitude sickness started to kick in when I got into city traffic.

The sound insulation along with relocated exhaust kept cab noise to about 80db which is inline with my Silverado crew cab on the interstate.

Have you ever actually driven a truck like this? 70 mph is VERY fast.

Charlie

Yeah, it is, I want the capability doesn't mean I'll run it that fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk