Maglite Mount 1st Gen Tacoma

lugueto

Adventurer
The newer generation LED maglites are great IMHO. they throw out a good amount of light and, as said, could be used a a freaking hammer when needed.

I have a 3D mounted in front of my passenger's seat. In front of my driver's seat there's a mount for a Surefire P2X or G2X (smaller Quikfist). In the same positions that have been previously shown. Off course the Maglites will be outshined by other lights, but for 20-30 bucks you cant beat them. Also, they last a couple of lifetimes.

Also, the Mag mounts are crap, they break sooner than later. Always better to get Quikfists

climber-420

Adventurer
I just said buy a Fenix, cause I work for them. We have a Limited Lifetime Warranty, which most companies now a days, do not. We take care of our customers.

FJOE

Regular Dude
Question-
Why these archaic flashlights? You can get a much smaller light with several hundred times the output that fits in your glove box. I know someone will say "But I can use it as an impact device." Don't get me wrong, I used to have one too, but when LED's started becoming more popular, I decided that I wanted to go that route. Why carry something that is a bad compromise of two things? By several standards, its both a poor light, and a poor baton.

marathonracer

Adventurer
Being a LEO I carry both a surefire on my duty belt and a maglight on a charger in the truck that I can grab quickly as I exit (and a headlamp in the truck as well). They are both great tools but have their own purposes and applications just like a winch versus a hilift. The maglight is an effective impact weapon but I have to ask why are so many overlanders worrying about improvised impact weapons? A strike to a large muscle mass with an impact weapon is meant to gain compliance for handcuffing. A strike to the head is considered deadly force. If a scenario gets that bad, get in your truck and drive away... I'm all for self defense but I see it all too often when a situation escalates. If you have the Maglite in your hand that's one thing but if you are jumped and go back to your truck to get the light, then re-engage that's not self defense, its assault.

Or are there that many people that think there is going to be zombie apocalypse tomorrow?

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Question-
Why these archaic flashlights? You can get a much smaller light with several hundred times the output that fits in your glove box. I know someone will say "But I can use it as an impact device." Don't get me wrong, I used to have one too, but when LED's started becoming more popular, I decided that I wanted to go that route. Why carry something that is a bad compromise of two things? By several standards, its both a poor light, and a poor baton.

I picked up a Redline LED at the Toyota Parts Department recently for only $40....fricken amazing how bright that thing is...simply blows Maglight out of the water...and so small powered with 3 AAA's. Makes the mags seem like a dinosaur.

1175-DEFAULT-l.jpg

lugueto

Adventurer
while I hope we never get to use the Maglite in "self defense", it might work, although I agree its sketchy at best and if something starts on the wrong foot then its hard to end in the right foot anyway...

However, how about impact against something else? perhaps hammering, breaking glass, or whatever? I sure didnt buy my maglite to beat someone or break something with it, but it will do the job when it is required.

Archaic lights? I hope youre talking about Halogen, i'd agree. But Maglites are now offered in LED variations which, for the price, there are few better lights. Sure you can buy chinese lights for 5 bucks with an alleged 500lumen output, but for 25 bucks very few lights will ever last as long as the Maglites do, have the battery life and overall quality they offer. Again, owning a few high performance lights, I know what you mean, there are indeed a ton of better lights out there, but the Maglite, IMHO has its place and it will be hard to replace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad