Mail Jeeps

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I'm looking at a 1976 US Mail Jeep with of course right hand drive. Is this for the most part a modified CJ7 mechanically? Would accessories like windshield light brackets, new rims, lift kits etc be the same also? I would assume maybe a 258 six. Dana 30 axles perhaps. Any details, suggestions is appreciate. It's very clean and kind of cool from the ad; I have not seen it in person as of yet.

Pete Wilson

reece146

Automotive Artist
Yeah, they are the same other than the obvious. Easy to swap to LHD if you wanted.

Didn't most mail Jeeps of that vintage come with a 232? Not that it's a big deal but something to be aware of.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Make sure it is 4wd, plenty of 2wd DJ's out there. Shares some components with CJ-5's.

Quill

Adventurer
Your Vin will tell you what you have. 1st letter indicates Jeep Corp., 2nd indicates year,3rd drive train, transmission and assembly plant, 4rth and 5th indicate series or model, 6th body style, 7th indicates the engine(E=232 cid,A=258,H=304,N=360, P=36,Z=401. The rest are sequential production numbers. A 76 would be a DJ-5D with a 232 and a torque flight automatic. Close in looks to a CJ5 but a different animal. They had heavy duty steering gear box and rear limited slip.

whowey

I had a pair of 76 DJ-5D's.... 232 with a TF auto tranny. Both were 2wd's. Most of them in the lower 48 states were 2wd. If you found an Alaskan model, it could be the much larger World Cab models. Those were based on a CJ-6 frame.

One of the best thing about the DJ's... all those mirror angles. There is no spot on that thing that could be called a blind spot.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Thanks for the info guys. I always had assumed that the mail jeeps were 4 wheel drive. You all know what they say about assuming! LOL

Pete Wilson

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
I put 10k miles on a 1983 DJ-5N. Very scary car!

I was turned round twice simply braking through an intersection corner. It was noisy on the freeway. The doors become projectiles if you liked to drive with that 'open' air feeling. With doors, I could not run larger than a 235/75-15 tire.

Best car I ever sold to a high school kid. Poor Lenny!

postalWagon

Adventurer
I have a 1975 DJ-5d its my DD and trail rig. it is on of the best jeeps I have gotten. there are lots of after market parts that can really improve the drive. there are some uber rare parts that you should look for: rhd power steering box, hot weather radiator and stock 4.10 gears.
DJs are lots of fun. pm me if you want more info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach