Maloppa's Build

Maloppa

Observer
Greetings all,
When I joined this forum I was looking for a different group of individuals that wanted more from their vehicles besides mud and rocks. I have always used my Jeeps for everyday drivers, excursions, and family adventures close to home and all over this great land.

My current Jeep is a 95 YJ. I have owned this vehicle for about 5 years now and last month had finished it to the specs that I had been looking for. Then about a week after I was done, along came a Karmann Ghia. So now comes a chance to start again. This time I intend on building her to be specifically for Expedition and everyday driving. As many others, I would like to share the build as I go and look to learning from the knowledge that I have seen from this group.

95 YJ August 08
IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

Desert Ox brush guard
IMG_1894.jpg

View of sadness. Thankfully no one was seriously injured.

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq50/Maloppa/Photo_08.jpg

There will be many upgrades to come. I have purchased a 92 that will be a donor for my drive train and a future camper project I have planned.
IMG_2182.jpg

SixLug

Explorer
very cool...I look forward to any buildup of a YJ...Ive owned 2 and they are great. A lot of people dont like the square headlights, as that deviated from the "roundeye bloodline", but I love them.

Very odd front bumper, but looks like it will get the job done.

Welcome.

sandalscout

Adventurer
ouch, that stinks... Are you putting your drivetrain into the blue jeep? What all was damaged in the wreck?

That's a pretty ghia also, too bad for both of you.

Maloppa

Observer
No, that was the 4cyl. that I pulled out of the white one. The blue is my donor. The wreck bent my brush guard just enough to crunch the driver fender. The flex of the frame caused both fenders to buckle on the top. So I have sitting in my garage new tube fenders from poison spider and their stinger brush guard. With the drive train swap I am going to use an nth degree belly up skid and add a one inch body lift. I have the rampage rear bumper with the tire swing. Ya, thankfully no one was hurt in the accident. Just feelings mainly.

Maloppa

Observer
Saturday of the build, I pulled the exhaust and installed the 1 inch body lift.
IMG_2242.jpg

Today, I burned up my compressor trying to remove the motor mounts. Resorted to a sawzaw and then spent the rest of the day exchanging the compressor. I exchanged up for a bigger system.
IMG_2247.jpg

Maloppa

Observer
Excellent couple of days of wrenching on the Jeep. Finished body lift. Installed new shackles. Wiring harness mostly complete. Transfer case to shop for SYE. Spent today building my tube fenders from Poison Spyder.

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

SeaRubi

Explorer
I'm crazy jealous of your build. I can taste the beer and grinding dust just looking at the pics - nice work. :beer:

BC Explorer

Adventurer
Are you using the 4.0 ltr's harness and computer ?
What about drive shaft lengths ?

I'm thinking about doing an engine transplant mainly due to the crappy AX5 tranny. I have tossed around ideas of a V8 and even the Hemi but, I like the idea you have staying with Jeep and the simplicity.

Maloppa

Observer
Ya, I unplugged the 2.5 harness from the firewall and plugged the 4.0 harness back up. I attempted to start it yesterday and had power but the starter wasn't getting any power. I am going to finish installing clutch and shifters tomorrow. I am hoping that they neutral sensory or clutch sensor is the only thing that is causing her not to start. I am going to hook up the front drive shaft and then drive it down to my local 4x4 shop and let them check my rear angle and order me a new rear drive shaft.

I also thought about a v8, but I also wanted to keep it jeep. Besides I got my donor for a great deal and didn't know if I had the knowledge base to do a v8. Figured the direct swap would be easiest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater