Mammoth Overland Trailer TL

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Just wanted to see if I am over thinking this new model. This rig is 14.5 feet long and 9 feet tall. The claimed dry weight is 2,900 pounds and it has duel timbren 5200 HD suspension. That's 10,400 pounds of potential gwr. I did see it being towed by a Wrangler in a picture. A 9 foot tall trailer that has to be 4k loaded being towed by a Wrangler. Won't this thing just bounce right off the trail? That awining must be a beast to fold up and or out in a wind event. Wonder if it even covers the galley.

Last edited:

Risar

Saw this unit at Expo west in flagstaff. I had one of their teardrops on order but after some bad experiences with teardrops of other brands the wife veto kicked in, requesting a bathroom and the ability to stand indoors. Cancelled my reservation with them 2 months back, wish they would have told me about this unit at that time … but anyways, some thoughts:

- Interior is perfectly sized for sleeping and rain-out days. Would maybe add a sliding door for the water closet, but not the end of the world.

- Fridge is weak sauce. Same as the teardrop/HV unit they need a bigger unit, preferably (for me) with a freezer.

- I don’t think this comes with Solar (?) on the roof, just portable units

- no A/C onboard, they may be willing to add after the initial run

- Storage is super limited, would prefer they eliminate the extra rotopax mounts on the back for some boxes

All that being said, this unit is the perfect size, and I’m super happy to see people finally building smaller, lighter, dual-axle units. Build quality appears stellar and the reviews of their tear drop models lead me to believe they are a good company to deal with (my limited experience confirms that).

Only units I know of in this space under 100k are this and the Skinny Guy Armor 15B, which has a really odd bed situation from what I can tell (bunks and a convertible dinette that looks to be a twin?) and given those options I’d go with the Mammoth, but not the genesis edition.

Also the TL is caring some of the issues the smaller units have had. One is rusting tounge box. Yes despite all the claims of aluminum in these rigs anything painted black is steel. I understand maybe the chassis and rock sliders being steel but tounge box and racking. I hope at least they will step up to powder coating the steel components because they didn't on small units. After issues with camber and even one bent frame they still send units out with no cross bar on Timbrens.

Oops no room for tounge box on TL. Forget what i said about rusting at least for tounge box. But after looking closely it looks that tounge look short with ladder and tires. Might be a truck tailgate crusher. Also looks like they maybe using the same chassis as the HV. I would verify that. IMHO 14.5 foot length is two feet to short.

Also it's just lame they post pictures and liklely even tow the TL with a Wrangler. Add the weight of the batterys, awining, propane , 50 gal water, other accessories and gear your at 4k. Plus it's 9 feet tall. Not wrangler towable.

Last edited:

" The reason we went with duel 5200 pound Timbrens was to ditrbite weight and have more flotation in the softer terrain" So 2,900 pounds is not much weight for two 5,200 pound rated Timbrens to distribute. Also I can't imagine a softer ride if your on 10,200 pound rated elastomers either. I am curious to hear the GWR.

I understand the need for rock sliders but they kind of hang down a bit to far. Don't the eat up ground clearance?

Awning is 9 feet off the ground and mounted back close to two feet with roof slope. Kitchen actually looks cool but swings out maybe five feet. Like to see them open that thing (two three ladders liklely needed) in some wind and see if it even covers the gally. I guess you have to open that Kitchen to get electronics.

That awesome kitchen and 50 gallon water tank pushes that bed up so high. Wondering the head room for us tall geeks. That heater is definitely in bed with you. I am picturing bedding burring that thing. I know my propex doesn't like it when exhaust or intake get covered.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Suspension should really be tailored to the anticipated weight of the trailer. Having overly heavy duty suspension components on a light trailer will result in a stiff, jarring ride without the appropriate dampening.

A 2900lb trailer riding on two "axles" rated for 5200lb sure sounds like it would fit that problematic category. Strange choice IMO. Two sets of Timbren's 3500lb "axles" would have made more sense to me, but even that would be possibly too much.

Well said wolf. So many things seem off with this TL. If you read through all the issues on the Mammoth FB page of the square top models is appears like the owner's have ignored many of them on the newer units and the TL. Carbon steel chassis that is just spray painted. The administrator of the FB page warns people to carry rattle cans of spray paint to combat all the rusting. IMHO the TL should be galvanized for 77k.

I contacted Timbren on my trailer because I knew totally loaded I was getting close if not over 3,500 punds. My dry weight was just under 3k and the said the 5,200 pound elastomers would create a rough ride. The TL has two 5,200 pound axels.

Anyone who is interested in a Mammoth should join the FB page and read every comment before they throw down.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here and my motivation is to try and give Mammoth some thoughts on thier production build on the TL and also let potential buyers know the full story.

1. Plan on this rig coming in over 3,200 pounds dry with spare tires and wheels, rack, awining, ladder, axe, shovel and propane. RTT will add 150+ pounds. It has a 50 gal fresh tank that will add 400 pounds. So loaded it's going to be north of 4,200 pounds with 500+ pound tounge weight. So the only Jeep wrangler that can handel this is the new hard to get 2024 4 door. But the tounge weight would be liklely over. Same goes for Bronco.

2. The math doesn't add up on height. If it matters for garaging you better confirm and plan on 104 "

3. They need to go propex for furnace. The frig is small and you can't go any bigger and it's 250 cheapo. Plus you cannot access from inside. Flame King two burner is an $ 80 stove.

4. No mention of brand of water heater or electronics and they are taking orders.

5. The way the side walls angle up from bottom and kind of canaliver out to the wheels then straight up make me wonder if that's the best structure. I am not an engineer so this may not be an issue.

6. The awining must be a beast to deploy. My guess is they needed to add custom polls to handel the height. Looked flimsy.

7. Rooftop tent. They only way to get in is to use the trailer ladder. I have that option on my trailer and it is steep and a bit sketchy

8. Some may not care but a 72k trailer with indoor shower and no gray tank. I know it adds weight and space but the bucket drain would be a deal killer for me.

No I haven't. I like the company, would buy the aircraft produced by the same owners in the same facility. Haven't set foot in one so can not speak to its actual quality.

I have not stepped in one either. Just thought since you posted this video that you were disagreeing with my concerns. One of which is the proclaimed dry weight of 2,900 pounds.
That is 700 pounds lighter then your NJstar.

Runmorun

I have not stepped in one either. Just thought since you posted this video that you were disagreeing with my concerns. One of which is the proclaimed dry weight of 2,900 pounds.
That is 700 pounds lighter then your NJstar.
400 lbs lighter. Could be if the frame of the trailer box is aluminum. I don't think they are lying on the dry weight.

You should call them and ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl