Mammoth Overland Trailer TL

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

400 lbs lighter. Could be if the frame of the trailer box is aluminum. I don't think they are lying on the dry weight.

You should call them and ask.

The chassis is actually the most impressive aspect as it is beefy carbon steel. Although they don't even powder coat it. They have had the opportunity to call me out on my speculation that they are light on dry weight. My guess is they they don't include rack, ladder, spare tires, high jack, propane, axe, shovel, rock sliders , awining, rotopax and maxtrax. You know 500 pounds of stuff. Then they market pulling the trailer with a jeep wrangler and bronco. Check this one out:

Runmorun

The chassis is actually the most impressive aspect as it is beefy carbon steel. Although they don't even powder coat it. They have had the opportunity to call me out on my speculation that they are light on dry weight. My guess is they they don't include rack, ladder, spare tires, high jack, propane, axe, shovel, rock sliders , awining, rotopax and maxtrax. You know 500 pounds of stuff. Then they market pulling the trailer with a jeep wrangler and bronco. Check this one out:

Seems like he is happy and a current owner of their product.

I think it's a cool trailer. But I would prefer to spend that money on aircraft rather than a camper.

Seems like he is happy and a current owner of their product.

I think it's a cool trailer. But I would prefer to spend that money on aircraft rather than a camper.

Yes I hear you that's 3 times the cost of yours.

Not that I blame you but you probably didn't get through the whole video.

Back story is the guy is an overlander YT guy that mostly has Bronco followers. He bought a Mammoth HV and then sold it liklely because of rusting, leaking and aliment issues. Mammoth doesn't even know your supposed to install the cross member on the Timbren axels.

He then got the Mammoth TL to make this video as a week-end loaner. Get this he had to add a drawbar extension to clear his Bronco spare tire because the TL has such a short tongue with no A frame. He admitted he was over the tounge capacity of the Bronco as the TL was liklely 500 pounds. Mammoth let him drive out of their shop with a vehicle that's was 150 pounds over its tounge capacity ( not even including the draw bar extension). Then his cheesy brake controller didn't work and he drove this set up with no trailer brakes.
Then at the end of the video he mentioned he couldn't afford one. Mammoth also drives this prototype around with a Wrangler. That's why I am suspect of the dry weight as they want to sell this thing to the Wrangler Bronco crowd.

I could go on but I liklely lost you already 😉

I am sure most of thier expertise and energy goes into thier Airplane side of the plant.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram

Cool little trailer, but when I see nine million rivets and countless joining/overlapping surfaces, all I can think of is spots for water penetration, sealant issues, etc. The less holes/joins on the exterior, the better, and this trailer seems to take the polar opposite approach. That guy mentions sleeping a family of 3, plus 3 dogs, then goes on to mention sleeping two adults, kid, and a dog on one bed. LOL!!! No thank you.

Huge (for a trailer) off-road tires, 21" of clearance, a pivoting hitch coupler (with a horrible overall towing setup), and the video shows trails that can be done by a Prius.

The reality is that about 0.01% of any of us (paging Romer!) actually "need" an off-road trailer. The rest of us just like them because they look/sound cool and we like the idea of their supposed capabilities. (Much like owning a Ferrari and using it to get Starbucks.) At the end of the day, the rest of us go camping in places that any mass-produced trailer will easily get to (yes, that includes a few hours down a dirt FSR), and will offer 10x the practicality/comforts at half the price of an "off-road/overland" trailer. Of course, no MaxTrax on the front wall, so that's minus 5 gazillion street-cred points right off the bat.

I can't count how many Off-Grid-Trailers (and similar "expo" products) I've seen around here... and all of them were in paved, provincial campgrounds, surrounded by Indiana's finest Jaycos, Winnebagos, Forest Rivers...

On the other hand, when I do venture a few hours off pavement, there are never any expo trailers to be found, but plenty of those same Indiana trailers taking up good spots by the river.

Runmorun

Yes I hear you that's 3 times the cost of yours.

Not that I blame you but you probably didn't get through the whole video.

Back story is the guy is an overlander YT guy that mostly has Bronco followers. He bought a Mammoth HV and then sold it liklely because of rusting, leaking and aliment issues. Mammoth doesn't even know your supposed to install the cross member on the Timbren axels.

He then got the Mammoth TL to make this video as a week-end loaner. Get this he had to add a drawbar extension to clear his Bronco spare tire because the TL has such a short tongue with no A frame. He admitted he was over the tounge capacity of the Bronco as the TL was liklely 500 pounds. Mammoth let him drive out of their shop with a vehicle that's was 150 pounds over its tounge capacity ( not even including the draw bar extension). Then his cheesy brake controller didn't work and he drove this set up with no trailer brakes.
Then at the end of the video he mentioned he couldn't afford one. Mammoth also drives this prototype around with a Wrangler. That's why I am suspect of the dry weight as they want to sell this thing to the Wrangler Bronco crowd.

I could go on but I liklely lost you already 😉

I am sure most of thier expertise and energy goes into thier Airplane side of the plant.

I watched it but skipped around, but best to hear from the horses mouth instead of speculating. They are not on this forum from what I can see. You should email them your concerns and see what they say. At least you would have an "official response".

I watched it but skipped around, but best to hear from the horses mouth instead of speculating. They are not on this forum from what I can see. You should email them your concerns and see what they say. At least you would have an "official response".

I doubt they would take my call. Most of my concerns other then weight don't really require any answers. If you read all the issues on the main Facebook page they never comment or in several cases even fix the issues on the newer rigs. Lots carry on to the TL.

Cool little trailer, but when I see nine million rivets and countless joining/overlapping surfaces, all I can think of is spots for water penetration, sealant issues, etc. The less holes/joins on the exterior, the better, and this trailer seems to take the polar opposite approach. That guy mentions sleeping a family of 3, plus 3 dogs, then goes on to mention sleeping two adults, kid, and a dog on one bed. LOL!!! No thank you.

Huge (for a trailer) off-road tires, 21" of clearance, a pivoting hitch coupler (with a horrible overall towing setup), and the video shows trails that can be done by a Prius.

The reality is that about 0.01% of any of us (paging Romer!) actually "need" an off-road trailer. The rest of us just like them because they look/sound cool and we like the idea of their supposed capabilities. (Much like owning a Ferrari and using it to get Starbucks.) At the end of the day, the rest of us go camping in places that any mass-produced trailer will easily get to (yes, that includes a few hours down a dirt FSR), and will offer 10x the practicality/comforts at half the price of an "off-road/overland" trailer. Of course, no MaxTrax on the front wall, so that's minus 5 gazillion street-cred points right off the bat.

I can't count how many Off-Grid-Trailers (and similar "expo" products) I've seen around here... and all of them were in paved, provincial campgrounds, surrounded by Indiana's finest Jaycos, Winnebagos, Forest Rivers...

On the other hand, when I do venture a few hours off pavement, there are never any expo trailers to be found, but plenty of those same Indiana trailers taking up good spots by the river.

This is hilarious and I agree with most of what your saying. All though I would not feel comfortable bouncing around going down a steep mountain rutted road on a lippart axel. Also the interior of the Elkhart builds remind me of a cheap 70's condo.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
This is hilarious and I agree with most of what your saying. All though I would not feel comfortable bouncing around going down a steep mountain rutted road on a lippart axel. Also the interior of the Elkhart builds remind me of a cheap 70's condo.
I really think that when it comes to towing on FSRs and similar somewhat-rough roads (I'm intentionally eliminating serious off-road obstacles here),
the type of suspension (leaf sprung, torsion, timbren, trailer arm, etc.) and manufacturer is about 10% of the picture, and the other 90% is the decisions you make as a driver. Tire pressure and speed will make a colossal difference in how well your trailer handles the road, and how much (or little) things vibrate apart.

Take an "expedition ready" teardrop from companies like Mission Overland, Off-Grid Trailers, etc., and run it at full tire pressure and 60mph over whoops and bumps, and you'll destroy that trailer in hours. Take mom & pop's 30 year old Jayco over the same route at 18psi and 15mph, and you'll likely find a single loose screw at the end of the day.

Steep mountain roads, of course, are a pretty specific use case that would necessitate appropriate equipment, and if that's your thing, off-road-trailer all the way!

I really think that when it comes to towing on FSRs and similar somewhat-rough roads (I'm intentionally eliminating serious off-road obstacles here),
the type of suspension (leaf sprung, torsion, timbren, trailer arm, etc.) and manufacturer is about 10% of the picture, and the other 90% is the decisions you make as a driver. Tire pressure and speed will make a colossal difference in how well your trailer handles the road, and how much (or little) things vibrate apart.

Take an "expedition ready" teardrop from companies like Mission Overland, Off-Grid Trailers, etc., and run it at full tire pressure and 60mph over whoops and bumps, and you'll destroy that trailer in hours. Take mom & pop's 30 year old Jayco over the same route at 18psi and 15mph, and you'll likely find a single loose screw at the end of the day.

Steep mountain roads, of course, are a pretty specific use case that would necessitate appropriate equipment, and if that's your thing, off-road-trailer all the way!

Spot on! My problem is my Lexus GX460 is so damn impressive with its off road abilities that I tend to push the limits. That said my Timbren 3500HD are perfect for me but they have limited travel so I drive very slow. Especially when "crawl control " is engaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl