MAPA Project - West Africa 2011

Sirocco

Explorer
The 2nd park which needed mapping was Djoudj National Bird Sanctuary so the next day after a leisurely breakfast we headed off in that direction. To get there we had to pass back through St. Loius and got stopped no less than 6 times! Within 50km of our turn-off there was a clunk and a scrape... The main fuel tank had just sheered its cradle brackets and the nose of the tank which was nearly full was ploughing a line in the graded gravel road. We pulled over to take a look. The tank seemed ok but the bracket was toast. With some ingenuity and the use of a ratchet strap we managed to secure the tank enough to get back to the Zebra Bar. On the way through St Louis we had the cradle welded up and picked up the bolts and bits we needed to fix it. After being stopped another 4 times we made it back to camp and got on with the repair and spent the rest of the afternoon not really doing much.

Over the previous few days we got chatting to a group of American girls who were also staying at the Zebra Bar. Most evenings we would eat and drink together discussing travelling, politics, religion... the usual. As they didn't have their own transport we offered them the 3 seats in the back of the Land Cruiser and the chance to come and visit the Djoudj Bird Sanctuary with us (and to also see exactly what we were doing). The added advantage of this was having a female presence, as the police no longer seemed interested in holding us up for any length of time. They also spoke better French than both of us combined.

Djoudj National Bird Sanctuary is situated in the Senegal River delta near the Mauritanian border and is a wetland of 16,000 ha. There is one main large lake surrounded by streams, ponds and backwaters. It forms a living but fragile sanctuary for some 1.5 million birds and the forests and grasslands hold species typical of the Sahelian zone of Africa.

The park was mainly established as the area is so important for birds, supporting 3 million waterfowl, and is one of the main West African sanctuaries for Palaearctic migrants. It is one of the first fresh water sources they reach after crossing 200km of the Sahara. From September to April, an estimated 3 million migrants pass through, including garganey, shoveler, ruff, pintail and black-tailed godwit. Thousands of flamingo nest here regularly as well as 5,000 white pelican, white-faced tree duck, fulvus tree duck, spur-winged goose, purple heron, night heron, various egrets, spoonbill, African darter, common cormorant and Sudan bustard. Mammals include warthog and West African manatee, and several species of crocodile and gazelle have been successfully reintroduced into the area.

But this wildlife haven is threatened from many sides. Agricultural chemicals are finding their way into the once-pristine waters of the Senegal River thus disturbing delicate links in the food chain, and a dam is being built which will disturb the annual wet-dry cycles that have brought life to Djoudj. A study sponsored by the World Heritage Committee has reported on the measures required to ameliorate the effects of the dam through an inexpensive series of dikes and sluice-gates and a carefully timed release of the life-bringing waters. It is hoped that the World Heritage status of Djoudj will help convince the government of Senegal to take the necessary measures and that tourism will take notice from the work of the MAPA Project.

We got the park and booked ourselves on the next boat trip out along the backwaters logging the tracks and waypointing along the way. We took the GPS and cameras onto the wide and open boat as we headed off away from land for the next hour or two. The backwaters were lined with tall grass which harboured a number of crocodiles and a couple of Nile Monitor Lizards. We spotted the usual wetland birds along with a fishing eagle in the distance. At the end of the boat trip and that route safely logged we went for a drive around the main lake following every possible route we could see. We found a number of hides tucked away in trees overlooking predominantly dry lakes. We visited the one large lake which had dramatically decreased in size and we could just make out the pink flamingos in the distance. We followed bumpy tracks and trails for most of the afternoon and then called it a day heading back to what we now referred to as 'base camp'. Processing our data for the day and sending it across to March in South Africa we rewarded ourselves with a few beers before bed.

IMG_0086.JPG

207343_215101445182300_5859999_n.jpg

West Africa036.jpg

West Africa027.jpg

W3.jpg

W2.jpg

roamingyak

Observer
Great line ;-)

"It was our longest day having driven for some 14 hours and covering over 600 miles and the rest of the time spent arguing with everything standing in our way."

Sirocco

Explorer
Great line ;-)

"It was our longest day having driven for some 14 hours and covering over 600 miles and the rest of the time spent arguing with everything standing in our way."

Thanks,

when I re-read it back it sounds a bit obnoxious, rude, draconian even but we are both really placid guys and not confrontational. I nearly re-wrote it to take that bit out but anyone who has been to West Africa will know how hard it is to get the simplest of things done. Unless you 'bribe' people at every corner they just don't want to know. And i'm not talking favours, or getting you out of a pickle I'm talking peoples actual jobs. The Toyota Main Dealers were some of the worst. I think the problems/issues were also exacerbated by our lack of French. Getting our point across was often difficult and people would just walk off no matter how hard we tried!

G

Ccceric

Thanks for spending the time to write this. I just found the thread and read it start to finish! Great read!

Sirocco

Explorer
Thanks for spending the time to write this. I just found the thread and read it start to finish! Great read!

Thanks, I really appreciate comments on trip reports as it takes a long time to write them. Glad it flowed well enough for you to read it all in one hit! I hope that goes for most people. I'm not use to writing things like this so I have no idea how well it comes off.

Thanks again.

G

Sirocco

Explorer
The plan from here was fairly straightforward as the Project had more or less come to an end. Team 2 by this time had made their way through Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea and would pick up the parks in the Gambia on their way through to Dakar. There was one more small reserve south of Dakar on the coast at Popenguine. It was agreed that we would head down there and map that and rendezvous with Team 2 in Dakar over the next few days. Seb and Chris knew a few friends from University working for the UN in Dakar so had their accommodation and contacts sorted.

Popenguine is a small coastal village populated by ex-pat ‘artists' which has a small nature reserve just to the south of the village adjacent to the coast. This is the first and only park in Senegal managed by the National Park Service in partnership with the local women's group, RFPPN. It is only possible to hike through the 2493 acre park as there are no routes for vehicles. Landmarks include the Cap de Naz, the lagoon for bird observation and a number of concrete WWII bunkers/gun emplacements. We spend the afternoon walking around and track logging our route, we climbed to the top of the cliffs and scrambled around the gun emplacements before heading back to the truck. We spent that night in a local camp site which had a great pool and was right on the beach.

The last few remaining days of the trip were spent in Dakar clearing out the truck, backing up MAPA data off both laptops and GPS systems, arranging for the kit to be returned to South Africa and containerising the two trucks. We also managed a bit of sight seeing. We spent a lot of time with Seb and Chris and their friend Dale in his apartment complex in Dakar. We ate well with an evening of Braai tuna steaks and eating out in some great coastal restaurants the rest of the time.We left our 105 with Seb to finalise the container shipment back to Durban and got a taxi to the airport early in the morning. Our flight plans were Dakar to Casablanca (Morocco) and eventually Heathrow where Lisa and Edwina met us at Terminal 5. Our once in a lifetime mapping project had come to its eventual end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater