Maryland to Alaska - Running solo and wandering the back roads

azken

Observer
Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences. Your writing and photos are most enjoyable. I wish you the very best in your endeavors.

Diesel YJ

Observer
Mike, When I was in the MDANG, I worked on the first projects construction Camp Frettered many years ago. Mike do you below to the MJC ? If so, we may have had wings together at BWW. I used to drive the Green XJ locked on 33's. I know a lot of them around Westminster. I used to write for JP magizine and Low Range Magazine.

I do belong to MJC, I am trying to think back now and I think I remember your Jeep. I am absolutely horrible with names (Army name tags work great for me!!). When did you work at the Camp?

xjaugie

Adventurer
i worked at the camp before it was really a camp, I did the design and stakeout for the football field over by the watertank, surveyed the workout trail through the woods, and pused dirt making the then flat area to store trucks, I thinm it is now a medic building, anyhow that was around 1990. At BWW we talked by kayaking, and I had my 17 YO daughter and friend with her.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Wow this trip report is what Expo should be all about, your journey covered much more in personal distance than geographical.
Thank for for taking us along and allowing us to share in your personal experience.

Sure it is cool to see the sponsor funded mega media outings and even the medium level sponsor driven adventures, but none of them have the depth your trip does.

I am looking forward to your perspective at the end of summer and with where your life goes from there.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Wow this trip report is what Expo should be all about, your journey covered much more in personal distance than geographical.
Thank for for taking us along and allowing us to share in your personal experience.

Sure it is cool to see the sponsor funded mega media outings and even the medium level sponsor driven adventures, but none of them have the depth your trip does.

I am looking forward to your perspective at the end of summer and with where your life goes from there.

x2 - well said Lance! Thanks for sharing!

xjaugie

Adventurer
When the summer is over and I'm done guiding tourist around Alaska in TomCars, I'd be more than willing to get one of those mega sponsors and explore some more, there is alot yet to be discovered. Know of anyone who needs a good writer/photographer for their next trip?

xjaugie

Adventurer
Oh, so far in AK, I've caught my first Steelhead, got within 16 yards of a black bear, and have taken some nice landscape and waterfall photos, And learning much about myself in the process.

Wonderful report; I know you'll enjoy your time up north. 36 years ago I was fortunate to spend time in the Canadian Rockies while working a job in Calgary. I still have great memories of running around those mountains in Alberta and BC. I'm looking forward to updates as I also would like to travel to the 49th state. :sombrero:

BurbanAZ

Explorer
excellent trip report, and great pictures Alaska is probably on the top of my list of places i want to go soon.

Oogs

Man, I got really stoked for you when I came across the post. I did a similar trip in 2001 with my 1992 Pathfinder and for the most part lived out it for 9 months unless I was visiting friends along the way. I spent weeks getting my ride ready and had never been on an adventure like that, especially solo. I drove out west, kicked around CO and UT for a few weeks then headed up north and hit as many national parks on the way to Banff that I could get too. I remember going into Canada through that sliver of Idaho via a border station in the middle of nowhere. I was the only one crossing and there were only two boarder guards and barely a gate across the road. I did Banff and Jasper, headed west, then took the ferry up to AK. Stayed several weeks and then made my way south doing the whole west coast down to San Fran and then back east again.

It was the best time of my life and I have tons of pictures from that trip.

My rig consisted of a 92 Nissan Pathfinder with 2 inch lift. I ripped out all the seats except for the drivers side, put in a platform to sleep... ARB fridge, ARB compressor, dual battery, solar panel, locking storage ARB Bull bar, custom rear bumper w/ air tank, roof rack with locking storage, hot water shower system plumbed into the heater core.

I continued to drive my Pathfinder for several more years after my trip until the frame finally rusted out and buckled in the rear. I sold it to a local kid in town for $500 who used the hard parts for a 4x4 build he was doing in shop class. It had over 220K miles on it and if it wasn't for the chasis failure, I would still be driving it today. Man I miss that truck.

It was because of that trip I got into off roading and eventually bought a 4x4 Sportsmobile which I've enjoyed many road trips and off road camping in.

Have an awesome time, you'll remember this trip for the rest of your life and have plenty of stories to share with family and friends.

Oogs

Attachments

• P6120338.JPG
    P6120338.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater