match the vehicle or trailer tire?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Depends on how the trailer is setup and its intended use, adding heavier/more aggressive tires to a trailer that will never see more than a dirt road will only decrease your mpg with no real added benefit.

cs0430

I initially wanted to match the tires/wheels from my 4Runner on my M101 but my thoughts were:

1. I'm pulling the trailer with a small-ish V6, probably 30-40% of towing capacity. Strain and gas mileage on 4R needs to be considered.
2. Trailer with 265/70/17 or eventually 255/80/17 tires to match the 4R would sit MUCH higher at the tongue.
3. Trailer will only realistically see fire/dirt roads and light trails - nothing too crazy.

so...

I ended up finding the smallest All-terrain E rated LT tires to fit on 16" rims and ended up with LT215/85/16 Cooper AT3 on 6" wide trailer wheels.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Depends on how the trailer is setup and its intended use, adding heavier/more aggressive tires to a trailer that will never see more than a dirt road will only decrease your mpg with no real added benefit.

Many dirt roads can become deep sand, muddy or covered in snow. Here were both snow and mud in Utah.

IMG_1699-1.JPG

If the trailer's tires are to be emergency spares for the tow vehicle it makes sense to have the same size and tread pattern. In a pinch the tow vehicle can use the trailer's tires to get out without the trailer. Street treads on the trailer tires would not do much good on the tow vehicle in the mud.

colorado matt

Adventurer
thanks for all the responses ... it helps more than you know .... plan is to match the bolt pattern ... craigslist the rest and hope for the best ... thanks...Matt ..... edit..question .... will most 15 x 8 inch rims with say 3 1/2 inches backspacing fit on a 3500lb trailer axle with brakes ? or should I figure for spacers when I source my axle?? I am shooting for specific hub to hub measurement ... it has also been mentioned by a few of my scout buddies that brakes would not be needed on the trailer .... scout wont even know it is there ... figure 2000 loaded for mountain remote camping ... Matt

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
When the family '46 Bantam T3-C was purchased by my father in 1966 we equipped it with the same wheels and tires as the family CJ-5. It was easy to do because the hubs and lug patterns were already the same and the largest readily available offroad tires were only 30" in diameter and fit both jeep and trailer. It looked good, but more importantly it allowed the same spare to work for both jeep and trailer.

Fast forward to the early 1990's when my father gave me the trailer to use by my own family with my Jeep CJ-7. I used tires on the trailer close in diameter to the tires on my jeep so the jeep spare could be used on the trailer, but saw no need for aggressive mud terrains on a trailer. I matched the wheels for aesthetics. The difference in tire tread (AT on trailer; MT on Jeep) was nearly unnoticeable from a distance so everything still looked "matched" because the wheels were the same.

Fast forward o 2005. I restored the trailer and rather than use tires that matched my Jeep, I chose to use original equipment 16x4.5 Kelsey-Hayes wheels and 6.50-16 military NDCC tires, the same size supplied by Bantam in 1946. I had many ideas for solving the dilemma of how to mount a spare for the trailer, but decided that I could use the 33x9.50-15 BFG AT spare for my Jeep on the trailer in a pinch. I also purchased extra tubes for the trailer tires, a patch kit, and a set of tire irons for field repairs. Fortunately, I never needed to use the spare or the repair kit.

Fast forward again to 2016. I sold my jeep in 2011 and replaced it with a Nissan Xterra in 2013. As a result, the trailer and tow rig no longer share the same hubs or lug pattern and the only way to use matching wheels and tires would be to replace the original axle on the trailer with a Dexter axle using the Nissan lug pattern. Since my '46 Bantam T3-C is restored, I want to retain the original axle and can no longer match wheels and tires. My solution is to carry fresh tubes for the trailer tires, the patch kit and the tire irons, and I am in the process of fabricating a Con-Ferr style rack for the trailer that will carry a trailer-specific spare. Hopefully I will have no trailer tire failures before the rack is finished.

2005%2520Nissan%2520Xterra%2520Offroad%2520with%25201946%2520Bantam%2520T3-C.jpg

Robert Bills

Explorer
... it has also been mentioned by a few of my scout buddies that brakes would not be needed on the trailer .... scout wont even know it is there ... figure 2000 loaded for mountain remote camping ...

I would opt for trailer brakes if I had that option. Brakes allow the option of setting a bit of "drag" coming down steep or loose sections of trail so that the trailer doesn't push the tow rig into a tough spot. Also, I don't know what size brakes you have on your Scout, your gearing or your tire size, but on my CJ-7 with factory sized brakes augmented with a larger vacuum booster and master cylinder from a 3/4 ton truck, 4.56 gears and 35" tires, I would notice the trailer when braking and would have liked trailer brakes.

grogie

Like to Camp
And a vote for a tread that will not become useless because it cannot shed mud. I used to run an all weather tread figuring that all that mattered was lower rolling resistance. Here is what happened in Utah:

NKN_7020-2.jpg

Great point. Tires that self clean are worth the investment. My Goodyear MTRs are a little loud on the road but they seriously throw mud to the sides from both my Jeep and trailer when I spin them a little. Plus, with these MTRs, I've noticed how little mud is thrown on my trailer from my Jeep's tires since it's rather thrown to the sides then front/back.

A couple of MTR pictures in the muck...

kNPEKr.jpg

CqdhSP.jpg

I would opt for trailer brakes if I had that option. Brakes allow the option of setting a bit of "drag" coming down steep or loose sections of trail so that the trailer doesn't push the tow rig into a tough spot.

And yes to the trailer brakes! It's great being able to engage the trailer's brakes separately for as said a drag on and off paved road. Especially with anyone with a lifted 4x4, carrying more gear, etc., that's less you're having to put on your vehicle's brakes to stop.

My P2 Tekonsha brake controller... easy to set and use.

wvzz.jpg

There are a lot of schools of thought on these subjects for sure. The Scrap Yard M100 started out pretty rough, that might be an understatement. The first time I towed it it had 14" and 16" wheels.

I really liked the look of rounded fenders and stock wheels. I had a set of 10 ply Goodyear tires some thought were maybe a little too big for stock wheels but have proven their durability and that they work well in my application. Matching the wheels and tires to my tow vehicle also was out of my budget for the build. The trailer wheels do match the 5 x 5.5 of the Jeep and if I had to I could use the spare off the Jeep ( it would be kinda like the first time I towed it) but I carry a tire plug kit and would plug and repair the tire before using the spare.

My co-driver commented more than once that if my trailer had 35's like the Jeep when I was towing it through the Rubicon he might not have had to stack as many rocks.

I have mixed feelings on the subject of brakes on my trailer. First it towed and tracked perfectly other than the fact I had an extra unpowered axle to bump over boulders. The parking brake is really nice but a couple of off camber sections I have towed across I was glad there were not brakes.

After taking my trailer behind a friends JKU I'm thinking I will need a new axle to match the 5 X 5 pattern and a little more track width, a color change and matching wheels in the near future.

2e01dbe490e91aa7212e57fa254d3ae4.jpg
ffac06ca47a01f60e6670a7101488536.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alia176

Explorer
Lots of opinions and all are good reasons. I'm still running the 30x9.50 15s AT tires on the Kamparoo and they've served me well. The kamparoo technically has more ground clearance than my 80 series with 315s so I'm good there. My reasoning for not matching wheels are:

- running 315s on the trailer would add more weight and I'm already fairly gutless at attitude
- a little less rotating mass = easier to stop
- can find trailer tire sizes just about anywhere.
- just about every hardware store and big box store carry the trailer rims
- don't need to put a huge lift on the trailer just to accommodate large tires.
- 315s are $$$ vs some C rated AT tires sizes 30x9.5 or 235x75
- function usually wins over looking pretty, for me.

Attachments

• 100_1044.jpg
    100_1044.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_2730.jpg
    DSC_2730.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 30

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
No trailer yet. Hoping to build or buy a trailer just haven't decided what I want yet. But I do have the wheels and tires for my Jeep WJ and a future trailer. Just picked up 10 JK Hard rock take offs. Brand new.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456530599.566084.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado matt

Adventurer
love that flat green jeep ... that paint job gets me every time ...thanks for your comments ..... biff ... wow your setup looks like better rigs and trailers tour ... love how low COG is on that setup .... alia176 ... yours and hornets setups both look quite capable running thru those pics ... $$$ will push me to your setup with the option of a craigslist gold find for dirt cheap option in the future .... I am so glad you chimed in ... I had thought closer to 50/50 when I was anticipating responses would be similar to yours .... hitch height is high for me so I will be looking for the upper end of size tire ..... question ... if the tongue was high when towing ... is that a bad thing ???? ... other than looking a little silly .....fireman .... saw some suitable rims and tires on craigslist yesterday .... if they sit for a while I will throw an offer... Matt

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Trailer brakes are a great idea. I need brakes as the XJ is under-braked at the best of times! heh

I need to order a set of backing plates and brakes with the parking brake.

alia176

Explorer
Trailer brakes are a great idea. I need brakes as the XJ is under-braked at the best of times! heh

I need to order a set of backing plates and brakes with the parking brake.

I got the parking and electric brakes with the axle from Dexter axles.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

toymaster

Explorer
when/what is the time matching tires and rims would be a benefit

I understand the advantage of a full size tire as apposed to the 10 inch tire on my pop up trailer ..... but a 15 inch rim with 285/75 tire (trailer tire and rim) is pretty darn close to the same size as my tire .... and as stated I could by all 3 rims and tires for the same price as just 2 tires .... guess I am wanting a reason or some science behind the extra cost .... is it just for looks? .... just put new rims and tires on the truck and building the trailer from scratch (4x6 box on a simple frame with rack for RTT... weighing in at around 1200lbs dry) .... I have heard the argument for bearing life being longer because the tire is bigger so the bearings spin slower ... and now my research is bringing up several people having to use spacer hubs to clear the brake drums on the trailer because of the street rims ??? ...........

Matching tires and rims (same size and brand/model) is only for aesthetics. Having the same outside diameter has very practical uses off-road. The same O.D. tire should give you the same ground clearance. Also, depending on the trailer design, approach and departure angles will be affected by tire O.D. I would assume you will want your trailer to go anywhere the scout can go. I would dare to generalize and say most are interested in not getting trail damage; most would rather have the trailer roll smoothly over an obstacle than be dragged over it. The other benefits of matching lug pattern and rim offset compatibility have been discussed in depth.

Actually spending the time and money to match rims and exact tire depends a lot on where one is and where one wants to be. If you are buying new then why not spend the difference for appearance sake? If you already have rim/tires that will work then we are talking about the entire price of the items plus the cost of not using what you already have. I guess you could find a deal on used tire/rims that match but how likely is that. About the only time the last scenario is likely is when you have a late model vehicle and want to run a stock combo. (I still have 5 new tire/rims from my '08 JK sitting in my shop because the resell value is so low on them)

In my way of thinking if you want the off-road benefits, and the cost is low or negligible, and you get aesthetics also it is a win-win-win situation.

At the very least, since you are building the trailer, may I suggest to design it so you can use the same tire size that is on the Scout. I'm pretty sure if not now some time in the future the benefits will out weigh the cost of having the same size tire.

A quick word on trailer brakes. If you have them you don't have to use them. If you do not have them, well you can't use 'em :ylsmoke:. There are many benefits of brakes, I can go into them if you like. A few posts prior someone mentioned a situation where they were glad they did not have brakes. I just wanted to mentioned that with a brake controller you can turn it down so no power is sent to the trailer with just a flip of a switch or turn of knob (depending on the model of controller).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater