Max weight for my future build?

IamHUCK

Hello all. I am brand new to the forum and am pretty excited about it! I am wanting to build a custom offroad trailer to pull behind my 2008 Fj Cruiser 4.0l (35/12.50 Toyo MT).
Even with the lift and tires I seem to have plenty of get up and go on the highway. I am wondering what weight range i need to stay within on my build (empty and loaded). I obviously want to have plenty of gear but want to avoid as many issues offroad as possible. Specifically the sand and mud. The specs of the fj state a towing capacity of 5000lbs. I assume that means on pavement under ideal conditions. Any help would be great as I am a novice overlander and asparing gear head. Thanks.

IamHUCK

No? Nothing? Is there a better way i should ask my question? I really want to make sure i start with the right project. I have found a pioneer tool trailer from the late 70's. Endless possibilities. Do you guys think this set up would be too heavy for my fj and sandy muddy terrain?

Frankspinz

Adventurer
As you modify you FJ and load it up for a trip/expedition, this weight increase must be added to your towing capacity.
GWVR : 5566lbs, & Towing Capacity : 5000lbs... If you add both you get 10566lbs CGWR (combined gross weight rating). As you load up the FJ, you must reduce the trailer weight... But (as you've guessed) these figures are for on-road ! Unless someone has a scientific rule of thumb... you'll have to guestimate depending on the type of off-roading you plan to drive. I'd start at 75% CGWR and pile it on from there ...

(BTW- I don't pull a trailer)

tclaremont

Observer
I don't think the modifications are going to reduce your liablity if you tow over the vehicle's max rating. Some people are concerned about such things... and some people aren't.

Tow the trailer empty through your intended destinations. If all feels good, start adding on the weight up to the max rating on your vehicle. Since there is no science to this stuff, that is about the best you can do.

java

Expedition Leader
personally the lighter the better, i have a 4th gen 4r which has the same running gear as an FJ and heavy trailers are a PITA.

IamHUCK

Thanks guys. All good information. I have found a pioneer tool trailer I would love to rig up nicely. The identification labels on these trailers says the GVW is 3000lbs. That puts me on the high end before I even put in a sleeping bag. Any thoughts? Does the GVW on these old military trailers mean loaded or empty? Forgive my ignorance, but I guess this is the only way I will learn... RIght?

Frankspinz

Adventurer
GVW is probably the same as GVWR :
•The GVWR is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is the maximum weight the manufacturer states the vehicle and its load can weigh and still operate safely.
- random internet quote...

You need to find a scale to weight your truck and trailer combo - then you can estimate the weight of your gear or stop by the scale when all loaded up... FlyingJ or other truck stops might have a scale you can use...

IamHUCK

Thanks, I was just wondering where in the world to weigh this thing. Just about any truck stop should have the right scales. Good call. Thanks for your patience as well.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Did you modify your FJ yourself or buy it "built"? Know how to fix it when you break it? Stock gears and axles? Tow package with cooler?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3