Mazda CX-50? New Meridian model looks promising ...

Sid Post

Observer
My search came up empty so, here I am! :)

As noted in my other thread, my search for an Overlander has been a challenge. Either empty lots or massive markup-ups for questionable vehicles. $2995 "dealer prep" fees are also a real turn-off! 🤬

The Mazda CX-50 seems to have missed all the glamor and shine of things like the new Bronco and Land Cruiser but, it seems like a really good vehicle. Subaru is on the 'bandwagon' with its Wilderness model as well.

I have demoed a similar CX-50 and liked the additional space compared to the Subaru options and other Mazda options. I haven't seen a Bronco for sale and, the Frontier pickup seems a bit small inside. Having a real transmission versus a CVT is a bonus too.

What are the general thoughts on a CX-50 for Overlanding? Going to places like Death Valley and Alaska? I'm not thinking Rock Crawling or anything like that but, I want to make it to remote places and back without undue trouble or stress. Sandy washes and light mud are things I have encountered frequently on my travels ignoring things like heavy rain and snow or ice.

Mazda offers a FACTORY 1.5" LIFT so, that with some taller tires seems like a viable option.

https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-tools/inventory/new/2024-mazda-cx-50?

cx-50-turbo-meridian-zircon-sand.png

Sid Post

Observer
Availability and ~30MPG.

Other options are low-MPG and priced rather highly. The layout of the CX-50 seems to be well thought out and they aren't $20K over MSRP like a new Ford Bronco. Four Runners and Tacomas aren't available where I live and the new Land Cruiser advertised as a 2024 model isn't likely to be available before 2025.

I also like the CX-50 much more than the Subaru options.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Availability and ~30MPG.

Other options are low-MPG and priced rather highly. The layout of the CX-50 seems to be well thought out and they aren't $20K over MSRP like a new Ford Bronco. Four Runners and Tacomas aren't available where I live and the new Land Cruiser advertised as a 2024 model isn't likely to be available before 2025.

I also like the CX-50 much more than the Subaru options.
Go drive one. If you can live with the cargo space and seating position then go for it. It should do fine on forest service roads.

Sid Post

Observer
Take a look/see at the VW Atlas as it’s in the same class I believe….
I have owned three Rabbits, a Jetta, and a Passat. After being burned by VW with my diesel Rabbits and Jettas when the abandoned the USA market, I was duped into getting a Diesel Passat which I loved for ~2 years. Diesel-gate took that one away from me ... 😭 Awesome car but, VW really screwed me and everyone else that owned one!

kerouac

Maybe I've missed it if you've stated against it but you should seriously consider Subaru. Our Forester and our friends' Crosstrek have been excellent and gotten us to many places. Definitely not 4wd but I'm surprised how capable they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater