Me and the Moonlander!

crafft

Hi Justin,

When my Moonlander is ready (waiting for the frame to arrive, components are all there) I'll post some pics. Should be a few weeks from now.

Here's a pic of my current ride (luckily I found one with Strider content...:)...).

P5066037.jpg

and by the way....nice jump Ethan:victory:

Last edited:

ywen

Explorer
I ordered the Pugsley from REI.. suppose to be shipped to a local store late next week... $1470 with all discounts and after tax.. a sizable discount from normal MSRP.

I wasn't sure if 16 or 18 was my size... however I test rode a 16 ogre at the REI store, and it felt small to me, along with a toe overlap problem.. I figured the two frames are somewhat similiar. I also read that the fat tires on 26" wheel is equivalent to 29er when measuring the outside diameter?

My 19" 26er MTB has a little bit less than 1" of standover clearance but I think the tt on the pugsley is angled down more..

Guess we'll see!

Gear - did you ever get your moonlander sprayed with framesaver?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
In one of the photos posted in the trip report section, I thought I saw a hoist in the top right side of the platform, just above the bikes and to the right.

I think the hoist is used for the spare tire? I'm betting there is a different way to get the bicycles down.

I ordered the Pugsley from REI.. suppose to be shipped to a local store late next week... $1470 with all discounts and after tax.. a sizable discount from normal MSRP.

I wasn't sure if 16 or 18 was my size... however I test rode a 16 ogre at the REI store, and it felt small to me, along with a toe overlap problem.. I figured the two frames are somewhat similiar. I also read that the fat tires on 26" wheel is equivalent to 29er when measuring the outside diameter?

My 19" 26er MTB has a little bit less than 1" of standover clearance but I think the tt on the pugsley is angled down more..

Guess we'll see!

Gear - did you ever get your moonlander sprayed with framesaver?

My local bike store had this on hand, Boeshield T-9. So we sprayed it thru all of the openings that we could get to. So far it looks like it is working well.

http://boeshield.com/

I can't wait to see your adventures on the new Pug. :bike_rider:

Gear

Critical Mass - May 25, 2012

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay2520125-7938.jpg

Miles and I took off on another great adventure down in San Diego. We got a late start around 4:00 pm. First stop was Tecolote Canyon.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay2520128-8018.jpg

We rode three different sections making our way north to the 52 freeway.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay25201227-1063.jpg

At one point we ducted into this drainage tunnel to get to the other side.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay2520126-7980.jpg

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay2520127-8006.jpg

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay2520129-8038.jpg

Dropping down into Rose Canyon.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay25201210-8076.jpg

Great single track and a neat little area full of flowers.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay25201211-8125.jpg

From here we headed south back towards Mission Bay. The I-5 and 52 merge is in the background.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay25201212-8134.jpg

Awesome trail high on the hillside.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay25201214-8187.jpg

Crossing the last little bit of water before we hit the road again.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay25201215-8209.jpg

Once we were off the dirt we sped around Mission Bay.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay25201216-8225.jpg

Down the board walk in Pacific Beach.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay25201217-8256.jpg

Then made a beeline for the start of the Critical Mass.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay25201218-8279.jpg

We made it up to Hill Crest in record time. So we quickly had a bite to eat. It's funny watching your Vegan brother eat at Smash Burger.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay25201226-8368.jpg

We caught up with the group just as they were leaving Balboa Park.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay25201219-8320.jpg

Riding thru downtown.

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay25201223-8339.jpg

Stopping for the trolley. Another great day on the bike!

CriticalMassMay2520122.jpg

Distance 50.2 miles
Elevation 1951 feet
Moving Average 10.3 mph

Gear

Are u using a gopro camera for all ur pics? Looks great!

Most of the photographs are taken with a GoPro Hero 2. The landscape panoramic photographs are most likely my iPhone 4s using an app. called Pano.

Gear

Quick Trip to the Bank - May 29, 2012

Moonlander-WellsFargo-1077.jpg

I rode the bike around to San Marcos to drop off some money at the bank. Nothing impressive, just a few more miles on the bike.

WellsFargo.jpg

Distance 11.8 miles
Elevation 914 feet
Moving Average 11.5 mph

ywen

Explorer
how many miles have you put on the bike now? How are the tires holding up against all the pavement riding? Are you pumping them up when you are on pavement?

Gear

how many miles have you put on the bike now? How are the tires holding up against all the pavement riding? Are you pumping them up when you are on pavement?

Moonlander-CriticalMassMay252012-7862.jpg

Current milage on the Moonlander is 1,469 miles. The rear tire is like one big slick. The front has a little bit of the knobs left. On the road it is not really a problem. On the trails I am losing traction. I ordered two new tires the other day. Cost $99 a tire. I am not sure if I will install them right away. I wanted to have them as a back up just incase I split a sidewall. Tire pressure is as follows, street around 18 psi, trail 10-12 psi, and sand dunes 8 psi. All pressures are done by feel. I only notice the psi numbers when I air up the tire's.

Gear

La Costa Beach Ride - May 30, 2012

Moonlander-LaCostaBeachRide7-1131.jpg

Moonlander-LaCostaBeachRide-1117.jpg

Finally hit the beach at the right time! Low tide was set for around 11:00 am. I took off south of the jetty at Ponto Beach.

Moonlander-LaCostaBeachRide4-1122.jpg

Along the way I came across this bamboo structure. Looks like a work in progress.

Moonlander-LaCostaBeachRide5-1123.jpg

Rounding the corner by Swami's.

Moonlander-LaCostaBeachRide2-1118.jpg

Several catamaran's are pulled high up on the hill side. I have yet to see one in the water.

Moonlander-LaCostaBeachRide3-1120.jpg

I traveled south to Dog Beach in Del Mar. Right by the Del Mar Race Track.

LaCostaBeachRide.jpg

Distance 17.9 miles
Elevation 321 feet
Moving Average 11.2 mph

Vegakat

Thanks for the ride reports Gear! I have read your whole thread and am really enjoying it! Please keep them comming! My family and I spent a little over a week in Solona Beach two weeks ago, want to go back already. We had such a great time!

Thanks again for the great posts.

ywen

Explorer
Hey have you read much on the bottom bracket in the pug and moon getting destroyed by sand within a relatively short period of time... ?

MidnightRider

MidnightRider
I love the trips reports with mileage, pictures, & gps tracks of you and the Moonlander. I hadn't seen or ridden a fat tire bike before I saw you at Desert Rendezvous. I couldn't believe how easy it was to ride in sand. That is an awesome bike, I would be riding it everywhere too.

In fact the Moonlander was the first Off-Road vehicle I saw out in the desert before approaching the camp area. I knew we were getting close.

Gear

Thanks for the ride reports Gear! I have read your whole thread and am really enjoying it! Please keep them comming! My family and I spent a little over a week in Solona Beach two weeks ago, want to go back already. We had such a great time!

Thanks again for the great posts.

Thanks for the encouragement! The grass is always greener on the other side. I would love to be back in Arizona even with the heat.

Hey have you read much on the bottom bracket in the pug and moon getting destroyed by sand within a relatively short period of time... ?

Yes I am, mine failed on April 3, 2012. Post #225 page 23. It turns out you just need to replace the bearings and not the whole bottom bracket. Cost for the new XTR bearings was under $40. I think it is a good idea to inspect them and add grease if necessary. I purchased the tool needed to remove it. Because it is a standard size and readily available I have not purchased a backup. I should probably take a look at mine after today's ride on the beach.

I love the trips reports with mileage, pictures, & gps tracks of you and the Moonlander. I hadn't seen or ridden a fat tire bike before I saw you at Desert Rendezvous. I couldn't believe how easy it was to ride in sand. That is an awesome bike, I would be riding it everywhere too.

In fact the Moonlander was the first Off-Road vehicle I saw out in the desert before approaching the camp area. I knew we were getting close.

I'm ready for the next Desert Rendezvous. Good times and great biking! :wavey:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online