Short ride with my neighbor Richard.

Distance 5.1 miles
Elevation 581 feet
Moving Average 7.5 mph

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Critical Mass - September 28, 2012

Moonlander-CriticalMassSeptember2012-1846.jpg

Back on the Moonlander. What better way to kick off riding again with a trip down to Critical Mass. The reason for my absence is subtly depicted in this photograph.

Moonlander-CriticalMassSeptember20122-1852.jpg

I took off early to try and put some miles on today. Here my brother and I are exploring the trails on Fiesta Island.

Moonlander-CriticalMassSeptember20123-1854.jpg

Making our way around the bay looking for interesting things to check out. Although it is hard to see the wind has really picked up.

Moonlander-CriticalMassSeptember20124-1859.jpg

Found this cool toy being off loaded from a pickup bed with a davit. The gentleman said it weighed close to 100 pounds. He was using it as a tool shuttle on the boat dock(boat mechanic). We also asked about the price and he said shipped to your door for around $400. Looked like a lot of fun!

Moonlander-CriticalMassSeptember20125-1862.jpg

We stopped in Old Town for something to drink. Miles parted ways afterwards and I took off to Balboa Park by myself for the remainder of the ride.

Moonlander-CriticalMassSeptember20126-1868.jpg

Folks gathering for the start of the ride.

CriticalMassSept20122.jpg

Distance 54.8 miles
Elevation 1373 feet
Moving Average 10.1 mph

trump

Adventurist
Moonlander-CriticalMassSeptember2012-1846.jpg

Back on the Moonlander. What better way to kick off riding again with a trip down to Critical Mass. The reason for my absence is subtly depicted in this photograph.

You were run over by a new Jeep with monster truck tires?

:D

Vegakat

Hey Gear, I hope all is well and you are still enjoying the Moonlander. I have been missing the ride reports. Keep them comming!

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Is this the only mtn bike you have ? I rented a mukluk today and have considered selling my short travel mtn bike and moving to a fat bike. Bike was fun to ride today no doubt.

Gear

Is this the only mtn bike you have ? I rented a mukluk today and have considered selling my short travel mtn bike and moving to a fat bike. Bike was fun to ride today no doubt.

Hi Butch,

Yes this is the only bicycle I own. I still love it! With that said I have now started riding with one wheel!

Dec162012-Muni-0050102_zpscfa8ac90.jpg

Day 2 - getting the hang of it.

Dec172012-Muni-0030052_zps56378c9a.jpg

Todays ride in the rain. I made it up to the Fire Station. Day 3 - back on a unicycle since I was a kid.

Dec172012-Muni-Firestation_zps3184744d.jpg

Distance 7.6 miles
Elevation 716 feet
Moving Average 5.5 mph

Gear

A few photographs of my Mountain Unicycle - I am currently at 40 miles over the past couple of weeks. This number includes walking most of the major hills. With that said I am having a great time messing around on it!

Dec182012-Muni-rainday3-0020127_zps1274047b.jpg

Dec222012-Muni-0020082_zpsfdca531b.jpg

Dec262012-Muni-SwitchbackTrail4-0060307_zps3daf1066.jpg

Dec262012-Muni-SwitchbackTrail5-0060322_zps78c947ae.jpg

Dec262012-Muni-SwitchbackTrail7-0080457_zps70f96454.jpg

crafft

Nice pics Justin!

A mono fatty :sombrero:

Also good to see you posting again. In the meantime I changed tires on my Moonie. Now have a Bud and Lou on the clownshoes. If you can you should give those a try. Steering is totally different and the grip is enormous. These tires really fill up the Moonlander forks. The Moonlander becomes even more awesome....maybe new inspiration.....:)

Gear

Also good to see you posting again. In the meantime I changed tires on my Moonie. Now have a Bud and Lou on the clownshoes. If you can you should give those a try. Steering is totally different and the grip is enormous. These tires really fill up the Moonlander forks. The Moonlander becomes even more awesome....maybe new inspiration.....:)

I just got around to looking at Bud and Lou. Very interesting! Thanks for the idea's. My brother and I rode the other day. It was the last Critical Mass for the year. Nothing new, except my rear hub has a large amount of play in it. I need to take it into the local bike store. I passed 2000 miles and 181,000 ft. of elevation gain for the year on the Moonlander. Will see what happens this year. I hate to say it, but I keep eyeing the Surly Krampus. Keep the wheels turning.

Gooseberry

Explorer
Riding fat tire bikes at marshal canyon New Year's Day starting at 11:30 at the school on wheeler.

Krampos would be nice

rho

Lost again
I just got around to looking at Bud and Lou. Very interesting! Thanks for the idea's. My brother and I rode the other day. It was the last Critical Mass for the year. Nothing new, except my rear hub has a large amount of play in it. I need to take it into the local bike store. I passed 2000 miles and 181,000 ft. of elevation gain for the year on the Moonlander. Will see what happens this year. I hate to say it, but I keep eyeing the Surly Krampus. Keep the wheels turning.

If you're still running the stock wheels on that Moonlander, I'd bet the cones on the rear hub just loosened up.

I've had similar issues with previous Shimano hubs. If you have some hub wrenches, its a fairly simple process to take the bike, put it on a rack, then drive it to the shop and let them mess with it!

...or just to pull the axle out and clean and inspect everything for wear, regrease and reassemble.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I've had similar issues with previous Shimano hubs. If you have some hub wrenches, its a fairly simple process to take the bike, put it on a rack, then drive it to the shop and let them mess with it!

Good one!

rho

Lost again
On a somewhat related note to this thread: My father rode around on the moonlander that is the subject of this thread at socal mtn rendezvous last october and was pretty impressed with the thing.

Turns out, he ordered a 18" pug last week! I have some friends whom also ride fat bikes, so this is a pretty neat development, more so, it should get him out riding!

Sent by smoke signal.

Gear

On a somewhat related note to this thread: My father rode around on the moonlander that is the subject of this thread at socal mtn rendezvous last october and was pretty impressed with the thing.

Turns out, he ordered a 18" pug last week! I have some friends whom also ride fat bikes, so this is a pretty neat development, more so, it should get him out riding!

Sent by smoke signal.

That is just awesome. I hope he can stay motivated and ride often. He will soon see many benefits.

rho

Lost again
That is just awesome. I hope he can stay motivated and ride often. He will soon see many benefits.

I agree. I'm trying to get him out on some of our more interesting rides in the area, but up here in the bay area, everything requires a lot of cardio fitness for all long stupid hills here.
Everything is steep and a fire road. If its single track, its hiker/horse (there are some major exceptions to this... Fort Ord is a big one). The state of our trails sucks, but.... It will get better in time. I'm sure my kid will see the benefit of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk