Mercedes 609d lots of body roll!

robfp

Hi, have just bought a SWB ex german army Mercedes 609. It has only done 20,000k and it is in excellent condition. But my problem is when moving around in the back the of the van, it moves from side to side so much i feel seasick, is this normal? I assume the suspension is not worn out as the mileage is so low. Really I would like to hear from other owners of SWB mercs what theirs are like. Thanks.

Rob
71e9e74b606f53e87c9e3769ba6cf255_zps93d7069a.jpg

Last edited:

mmmartin

Hi Rob

With it standing so long I would suggest you change the rear shocks to begin with, also look at the rubbers on the spring hangers as these will also probable have perished too.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Mine is a newer 814, but we're higher up and so it should be more prone to sway - It doesn't.

Joe917

Explorer
Before you panic, the amount of sway is felt differently by everyone. My 917 moves when you walk around in it (not much but it does) .
The only way to stop it is to use some sort of rigid jacking system.
Suspension set up should be determined by how the truck feels while driving.

robfp

Thanks for the replies. Will check the spring hanger rubbers and shocks. The spring hanger rubbers sound like a possibility. I had a mwb merc 508 before this one and its didn't have the same amount of movement when walking in the back. Thanks again, will update what i find/do.

gtlitc

How did you get on with your Mercedes 609? I am considering getting one as my next set of wheels. Interested to know what you paid for your German import and any hicups or advice you might be able to give?

robfp

Sorry forgot to update, fitted new Koni shocks and it is now great, seems the shocks where very soft as it was an ambulance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy