Mercedes G-Wagon, Cabrio - $5750 (Downtown Denver)

chirigringo

Adventurer
No affiliation. Follow the link for the contact email.
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2104789910.html
"There are not many of these trucks around and you will get plenty of attention driving this around. It is the 1979 (first year produced) and comes with factory front and rear lockers, 5.30 gears, solid axles front and rear, coil spring at all four corners, four cylinder gas engine (79,000), and 4 spd transmission.

I have done a ton of work on this truck since I bought this. I have replaced panels on the floor, back quarter panels, and back corners, along with new paint. The rear lights have been converted to the euro G500 style, it has new shocks and springs from a G500 that give it a mild lift. The brakes have been replaced all around (with rotors, drums, lines, etc.), the actuators for lockers are new, the blower fan has been replaced, new windshield wiper arms, radiator rebuilt, new thermostat and the factory carb has been replaced with a new Weber carb kit. It has custom front and rear bumber, and built in rock sliders. All and all it is a solid truck. There are still a few minor things that could be done and I am sure that I am missing other things that I have forgot to list too.

I would also be willing to consider a change for a mid sized sedan or wagon, audi a4, saab, mercedes, BMW, etc."
3n33pa3lf5O35T05Q3ac9d7885db20e8a14e2.jpg

Gelandeman

Bought this truck. Confused as to how I can register it so that I can drive it. It's not currently titled or registered.

Any help would be appreciated.

haven

Expedition Leader
The first question is, How was the vehicle brought into USA in the first place? If it was imported properly, there will be a plate in the engine compartment that identifies the importer, and that certifies that the vehicle meets all the applicable rules for registration and road use in USA.

The second question, Was the vehicle registered in USA in the past? If the seller registered it in Colorado in the past, you're home free.

If there is no information about how the vehicle arrived here, or about registration, then you'll have to work with your motor vehicle department. A vehicle manufactured in 1979 gets an exemption from the EPA for emissions, and from NHTSA for federal motor vehicle safety standards, plus bumper and theft prevention standards. You still have to pass whatever inspection your state requires for safety, and possibly emissions.

Gelandeman

Also, I will need to buy a lot of essentials for this vehicle (i.e., spare tire, spare tire cover, speedometer, side-view mirror, license plate bracket, etc...), not to mention all of the goodie extras that I don't need but want (winch, fog lights, hard top, etc...). Is there a good place to start looking? I know this isn't the proper thread to be asking this so I apologize in advance.

kerry

Expedition Leader
This has been on Denver Craigslist for quite a while. I seem to remember an earlier ad in which the seller stated that he had never registered the vehicle. I assumed there was a reason for that.
I had an 1985 MB 409d van which was a grey market import. It didn't have a plaque in the engine compartment as far as I recall. It did have a VIN number placard on the A pillar that was not original.

Storz

Explorer
Try posting up in the G-wagen section, I am sure you'll get better info there! Congrats on the awesome truck

kerry

Expedition Leader
Well, hopefully I haven't dug myself into a ditch here. I don't really need an expensive piece of yard art.

What kind of paperwork did you get with the sale? A title from somewhere? A registration from somewhere? Or, just a bill of sale?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The first question is, How was the vehicle brought into USA in the first place? If it was imported properly, there will be a plate in the engine compartment that identifies the importer, and that certifies that the vehicle meets all the applicable rules for registration and road use in USA.

The second question, Was the vehicle registered in USA in the past? If the seller registered it in Colorado in the past, you're home free.

If there is no information about how the vehicle arrived here, or about registration, then you'll have to work with your motor vehicle department. A vehicle manufactured in 1979 gets an exemption from the EPA for emissions, and from NHTSA for federal motor vehicle safety standards, plus bumper and theft prevention standards. You still have to pass whatever inspection your state requires for safety, and possibly emissions.

Not always a plate. My '80 was federalized and has no such plate.

Regarding parts suppliers, PM me and I can give you a list/link.

I don't have the # anymore but you could call Rena Lee at NHTSA(?) and see if the VIN has been federalized. If not, it's a '79 so really you shouldn't have any issues since it's older than 25yrs. Your DMV would be able to help more with this as it varies a bit state-state I believe.

Congrats on the purchase!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven