Mercedes G500 4x4² going into production

haven

Expedition Leader
The good news: Mercedes announced that the G500 4x4², with portal axles and a new twin turbo 4L V8 engine, will enter production this Summer. Orders are being accepted now, with delivery starting in December 2015. Price in Germany will be about $190K before VAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l378XN6xE9E

The bad news: Mercedes USA has no plans to import the 4x4² to USA.

The grey market import possibility: Mercedes plans to use the new 4L engine in several models that will be imported to USA. So the hard work of developing an EPA-compliant version of the engine will be done. So theoretically you could buy a G500 4x4² in Germany for $190K, and spend another $100K to get an importer to make it USA-legal.

ILIAN

Adventurer
May be cheaper to buy a G63 and install Letech portals and other accessories. Does anyone hear the squeaking noise when the car is going over bumps?

Pinstripe

Adventurer
Anyone in the US who wants one can also buy the new regular G500 with this new engine and have LeTech bolt up their portal axles underneath. That's who MB uses anyways. Plus, IIRC, LeTech showed a twin shock suspension set-up at this year's Abenteuer Allrad that looks quite close to what MB is using.

Yup, here's the photo.
211407173_1034426569908362_3396067412823870101_n.jpg

Mercedes-Benz has announced the G500 4x4² carries a starting price of €226,100 in Germany.

Stuttgart - Outstanding response to the "Extreme-G": the G 500 4x4² show car proved hugely popular with many customers and is set to enter series production. In the superlative-studded history of the G-Class, the G 500 4x4² is the new highlight in the model range. The technical package consists of the all-wheel drive powertrain including portal axles and the new 4-litre V8 engine with twin turbocharging and an output of 310 kW (422 hp). All the other G-Class models have further improved interiors and powertrains, and meet the highest emissions standard Euro 6. The G 350 d, G 500, AMG G 63, AMG G 65 and G 500 4x4² can be ordered with immediate effect.

A new addition to the extreme G-Class model family: the AMG G 63 6x6 is gaining a sibling in the form of the G 500 4x4². The series-production models of the G-Class provide the basis in the form of the body and ladder-type frame, which compensate for the considerably increased performance of the G 500 4x4² with no problem and without any type of reinforcements. The AMG G 63 6x6 has contributed an adapted version of the permanent all-wheel drive powertrain with portal axles.

The new model is powered by the new V8 powerpack with a displacement of four litres, direct injection and twin turbocharging. The efficient and clean 4.0-litre biturbo engine develops an output of 310 kW (422 hp) and maximum torque of 610 newton metres, and meets the Euro 6 emissions standard including the maximum particulate limit prescribed from 2016. The eight-cylinder has a set of exclusive genes: it is based on the new generation of V8 engines developed by Mercedes-AMG that have already coaxed exceptional levels of performance out of the Mercedes-AMG GT and Mercedes-AMG C 63. The G 500 4x4² will be in Mercedes-Benz dealer showrooms from December 2015.

Things are really looking up both on and off-road

Also new is the chassis with dual spring/damper struts and adjustable damping. In the interior of the G 500 4x4², occupants enjoy comfort and an ambience on a par with a luxury saloon.In view of the key data for the chassis and powertrain it seems more than logical that the off-road world starts for the G 500 4x4² where other vehicles give up. But it is surprising that the new "G" also puts in an absolutely convincing performance on the asphalt. Owing to the considerably wider track of the portal axles compared with the series-production car (+299 mm), the large 22-inch 325/55 R 22-sized wheels and the adjustable damping with its Sport mode, the enhanced G-Class drives through bends so dynamically that the occupants feel as though they are in a sports car rather than a cross-country vehicle. This also applies to outings on unsurfaced slopes or snow-bound roads, in which case the performance of a high-powered rally car kicks in.

Permanent all-wheel drive, an off-road reduction in the transfer case, portal axles and three differentials lockable while on the move are not to be found in conventional cross-country vehicles. The portal axles developed for versatility in operation complement the off-road portfolio of Mercedes-Benz and are the technical highlight of the G 500 4x4². Unlike on conventional rigid axles, the wheels are not at the height of the axle centre but are instead situated much further below on the axle heads thanks to the portal transmission. As a result the ground clearance of the G 500 4x4² increases to 450 millimetres and the fording depth – or rather the diving depth – to 1000 millimetres.

Systematic further development and high-quality appointments

Since its launch in 1979, the G-Class has made history and is the foundation for the entire Mercedes-Benz SUV family. More than 250,000 vehicles have been delivered to customers since the first model of the G-Class was introduced. Mercedes-Benz keeps this legendary off-roader series in peak technical form with systematic further development and high quality appointments. The G-Class now offers up to 16 percent more power and a lower fuel consumption. The new V8 petrol engine is also used in the G 500. Whether diesel or petrol powered – all engine variants are fit for the future, for from now on they meet the requirements of the highest Euro 6 emissions standard. A new suspension setup together with more sensitive ESP® control results in increased driving stability, safety and road comfort. The exterior and interior have also been given an upgrade. The exclusive AMG special model, the EDITION 463, is being launched at the same time. The new models can be ordered with immediate effect, and will be in the showrooms from September 2015.

Last edited:

McBride

Adventurer
The rear angle would be more along the lines of the front with that faux rear bumper thingy removed.

cols110

Observer
This is great news as was the 6x6.

It is not a car I will ever own or really want to own but it is good Mercedes is one of the few car manufacturers who are still interested in making real vehicles with character that is sticking 2 fingers up to all of the eco-friendly, politically correctness & nanny state ideals that most companies portray now days so as not to upset the masses.

Most manufacturers would be scared to promote a vehicle with a video that is openly showing a vehicle being used off road in the manner that is out of step with most of the modern conservative PR crap.

greynolds

Observer
The problem with getting the parts from LeTech USA is that they seem to be disinterested in responding to questions. I sent them an inquiry over a week ago regarding their roof rack and bumpers and have not received any sort of reply yet... It must be nice to have so much business that you can ignore potential customers.

Pinstripe

Adventurer
That's no good. Now that you mention it, he hasn't posted here for a while and his FB has also been quiet. Did you try sending Bill a PM?

LeTechUSABill

Observer
The problem with getting the parts from LeTech USA is that they seem to be disinterested in responding to questions. I sent them an inquiry over a week ago regarding their roof rack and bumpers and have not received any sort of reply yet... It must be nice to have so much business that you can ignore potential customers.

Sorry, currently we are very small and this is a side business for me.

All last week I was very busy and extremely sidetracked doing allot of desert testing with a handful of Germans and Austrians basing themselves at my shop.

Add to that my Stepfather passed away which has turned things a little upside down for my whole family. Had his funeral yesterday, and today I am in NY to attend the Watkins Glen 6 hr race for my primary business Porsche racing gearbox building business, where I support several pro racing teams.

So needless to say I have had allot on my plate. Not trying to "ignore potential customers".

Honestly I sat down in front of this computer tonight in my hotel room with every intention of answering all of my LeTech emails at this time. Made the mistake of opening this thread first though.

I have been answering emails over and over again as quickly as I can for over a year now. And so far NOBODY has purchased a single LeTech part from me. It usually ends as soon as I let people know the price of the parts.

Fair warning for anyone requesting prices, this stuff is expensive, it is all made in Germany and is way higher quality than anything else out there.

There is a reason Mercedes Benz elected to use LeTech's parts on their production vehicles! It speaks volumes that they are trusting a small company to supply them with axles for these vehicles!

Ok I'm done, I will go answer my LeTech emails now! :)

greynolds

Observer
Sorry to hear about your loss, Bill, and thanks for replying to my email last evening.

Based on your reply to my email, I don't feel your prices are at all out of line, assuming the quality is there, which I'm sure it is. The prices are probably on the high end, but that's justified when the parts have nice clean welds and the design is well thought out.

Unless the prices fluctuate for some reason, I would suggest posting them on your site along with info on what the painting / powder coating requirements are and whether you can take care of that before shipping to products to the customer. Putting a bit of extra time into adding more info on the web site could save you from having to answer the same questions multiple times in email. It would also make sense to mention which years the bumpers are compatible with, given that more recent years need support for things like park sensing and the Distronic sensor.

At this point, I'd probably be more interested in the bumpers, once there's clarification on whether they're fully compatible with a 2014, as the additional height of the roof rack may be a problem (for fitting in the garage at home and at the office) and I'm not sure how much use I would give the roof rack. Having bumpers that are more rugged than the factory bumpers would be a definite plus though.

For those who are wondering, the prices are roughly $2600 for the roof rack and rear ladder, and around $2500 or so for the front or rear bumper. They would need to be painted or powder coated and, of course, there would be freight cost to ship them for those of us who aren't local.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk