Mercedes Metris minivan

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/future-models/metris

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/03/mercedes-benz-reveals-midsize-van-at-work-truck-show.html

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2015/1503_2016_mercedes_benz_metris_first_look/

Mercedes introduced the Metris midsize van at the Work Truck Show in Indianapolis. The Metris, based on the Vito van sold in Europe, is about the size of a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna. It's bigger than a small van (Transit Connect, Nissan NV200) and smaller than a full size van (Sprinter, Ford Transit).

The Metris is powered by a 2.0L turbo gas engine that produces 258 ft-lb of torque, has a 7 speed automatic transmission driving the front wheels [edit: no, it's rear wheel drive like all other Mercedes vans], and can carry 2500 lb in cargo van configuration. One roof height is available. Both cargo and passenger van configurations will be sold. No AWD or diesel options available In USA (at least not yet).

The Metris will be available at Mercedes dealers in October as a 2016 model. Prices start at $30K, making this the least expensive vehicle in a Mercedes showroom in USA.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Size wise it's closer to the second generation Astro/Safari vans, making it bigger/taller than the Odyssey and Sienna.

Everywhere I've seen the Vito/Metris is RWD based, with AWD/4x4 versions available in other markets. The electric E-Cell version is FWD only.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's the Westfalia page about the Vito (our Metris) with popup camper.

http://www.westfalia-mobil.net/en/modelle/daimler-marco-polo/marco-polo.php

In Europe, VW offers a factory camper van with pop-up top called the California Beach. (Too bad we can't buy one to drive to a beach in USA.) Here's a UK website that shows what this modern day version of the VW Westfalia camper looks like.

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/range/camper-vans/california-beach

The Metris in camper form would be very similar to the California Beach, albeit with rear wheel drive and gasoline powered engine.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's my comparison between the Metris and the 2015 Honda Odyssey. The Metris is a bit narrower, but taller, yielding more interior space. The Metris has 900 lb more cargo capacity. Looks like the Metris will still fit through the USA standard 84 inch high garage door opening.

The Metris brochure is here
http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/files/brochures/2015-Mercedes-Benz-Metris-Van-Brochure.pdf

Mercedes Metris cargo van
—————————
engine 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder, 208 hp, 258 ft lb
drivetrain 7 speed automatic trans, rear wheel drive
low gear ratio: 4.38 first gear x 3.47 final drive = 15.20
EPA mpg: no yet available

wheelbase 126 in.
overall length 202.4 in.
width 75.9 in.
height 75.2 in. (unloaded)

cargo space behind first row 186 cu ft
max payload 2502 lb

Honda Odyssey LX
—————————
engine 3.5L gas V6, 248 hp, 250 ft lb
drivetrain 6 speed automatic trans, front wheel drive
low gear ratio: 3.359 1st gear x 4.25 final drive = 14.28
EPA mpg 19 city, 28 highway, 22 mpg overall

wheelbase 118 in
overall length 202.9 in
width 79.2 in
height 68.4 in

cargo space behind first row 148.5 cu ft
payload 1623 lb

PHeller

Adventurer
Seems like a better option than the Ford Transit Connect or Ram Promaster City. More expensive off the lot, but you get a more powerful engine with better MPG standard.

Downside is there is no cargo version yet. I think the base Transit with the V6 is only 28k.

Base sprinter is "only" a few thousand more also. But think I'm willing to give up the head room of the high roof short sprinter 4x4 for the everyday drive ability of the metris and serious MPG gains of not moving a brick through the wind. If only they offered the awd or 4x4 I'd be sold. I'm sure they'll offset the release just like the Sprinter (I'm hoping anyway). Feel like this could be a great everyday campervan with great driving dynamics and low operating costs.

Anyone go from high roof to low? Thoughts of loss vs gains?

Cole

Expedition Leader
Base sprinter is "only" a few thousand more also. But think I'm willing to give up the head room of the high roof short sprinter 4x4 for the everyday drive ability of the metris and serious MPG gains of not moving a brick through the wind. If only they offered the awd or 4x4 I'd be sold. I'm sure they'll offset the release just like the Sprinter (I'm hoping anyway). Feel like this could be a great everyday campervan with great driving dynamics and low operating costs.

Anyone go from high roof to low? Thoughts of loss vs gains?

I own (several:coffeedrink:) Eurovans and a high roof Sprinter.

People are constantly talking about them on forums and in person as if they are similar or interchangeable. While thy have a similar profile and look similar in size in some pictures, they are two totally different vehicles in many ways.

Think of it like comparing a regular cab mini truck to a crew cab dually!

The big thing that makes the difference is the roof height. You can basically draw a line at 7', the height of a standard USA home garage door. Also the ballpark height of many parking structures.

If it's taller than 7' it may as well be 14' tall because that is pretty much your next limitation for most bridges. Even the "low roof" Sprinter, Transit, Promaster, etc are all taller than 7'. I honestly don't know why people buy these instead of the highroof. If you can't put it inside a standard home garage or parking structure, you should at least be able to stand up in it!

I drive my High Roof Sprinter a lot around the Denver metro area and its "fine" most of the time. There are definitely some drive thrus and parking structures where it won't fit. I scrape the roof on trees when parking on the street sometimes. So, in general it's not too big of a deal!

However, it's like driving a big 1 ton truck around. The Eurovan (Metris size) is FAR easier to drive around town, park, etc. it fits in a home garage, mall parking structures, any parking space, etc. Just a much easier around town vehicle.

The highroof Sprinter is a touch more effected by high winds, but not so much that it dictates which one I drive.

My Sprinter has been costing me about $0.17 per mile and the VR6 Eurovan Westfalias about $0.24 a mile based on the Fuelly app.

Couple of images to show the size difference of Sprinters vs. Eurovans. Which should give an idea of Sprinter vs. Metris. Since I can't find good Metris vs. Sprinter comparison images.

14201971865_d8f78a1294_b_d.jpg

8784087639_15d9529705_b_d.jpg

14015347760_140be0a1d8_b_d.jpg

18370980273_edcab3a85b_o_d.jpg

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I just drove a Vito 8 hours from Madrid to El Puerto de Santa Maria in Spain with 6 people, 3 in car seats and 2 dogs plus the crates they shipped from the states in. This was my first experience with this MB. It was diesel with a manual tranny. Very basic in the amenities department. If they sold it like this in the states I would buy one!! I enjoyed it very much.

Yes, definitely realize there's a HUGE difference between Eurovan and Sprinter size in all dimensions, especially as an everyday driver and what you encounter. Hoping the metris will fill the niche of T6. Thank you for the cost per mile comparison of the Eurovan vs Sprinter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL