Mercedes Metris minivan

PHeller

Adventurer
It was diesel with a manual tranny. Very basic in the amenities department. If they sold it like this in the states I would buy one!! I enjoyed it very much.

Basic? Diesel? Manual transmission? In the states?

HAhahaha ah aha aha....ha.

Good points on the high roof vs. low roof... but, to counter, I built my garage with 8' doors & 9' walls, my local car wash is 7'6" clearance, & urban garages are 7'+ in my experience...

Coming from owning a high roof van for many years, the low roof is pretty nice to have and not crucial to quick trips to the back to hit the fridge or porta-potty. We do miss the headroom when parked briefly, changing, etc - but, most often we spend our waking moments either next to the van, or out and about... everything is a trade-off, currently I lament the low roof when pulling my pants on in the morning or after a mtn bike ride - but enjoy parking in the garage again (nice to park in the Aspen parking garage to keep the dogs cool while we f*off in town), as well as hitting the auto-wash on the way home. My 2 cents.

Good points! I have never had a high roof, and initially was all about it. I imagine it is nice to walk around, just like my tall vs short tents. But such little time is spend inside that I'm not sure it would be worth the extra gas and parking limitations of the Sprinter high roof vs Metris. I could see it being most useful for showering and cooking (but most likely wouldn't be built into my rig anyways due to smoke etc of cooking). Would do a hot water system that I could use with an outside shower.

Benefits: general moving around, cooking, showering, changing clothes, extra storage, just standing up without hunching over!

Cons: lower gas milage, harder to clean, clearance in garages/parking, higher initial cost, more to heat/cool

Really anxious to see if they bring AWD/4WD and Xenon Headlights for 2017 model year. Looks like Leather Wrapped steering wheel will be an option (hopefully in cargo) in 2016 with steering wheel audio/etc controls. (features that I truly love, especially with the bumps in the wheel)

Any other insights of high roof Sprinter vs midsized van (non high roof)?

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
More dimensions, this time Metris vs low roof Sprinter

Overall length
Sprinter 233.3 in, Metris 202.4 in

Overall width
Sprinter 79.8 in, Metris 75.9in

Overall height
Sprinter 96.3 in, Metris 75.2 in

Cargo volume
Sprinter 319 cu ft, Metris 186 cu ft

Engine and transmission
Sprinter base model - 2.1L four cylinder turbo diesel, 161 hp, 265 ft lb, 7 speed automatic trans, RWD
Metris - 2.0L four cylinder turbocharged gas, 208 hp, 258 ft lb, 7 speed auto trans, RWD

MSRP before delivery charges
for low roof short wheelbase RWD Sprinter $36,000
for Metris cargo van $29,000

Compared to the regular wheelbase Chevrolet Express van, the Metris is 22 in shorter, and has 40 cu ft less cargo volume, but has similar cargo weight capacity. The Metris with 2.0L turbo four has similar hp and torque to Chevy 4.3L V6.

rydz

Hi Everyone

Full disclosure here, I (we) are making a Metris Camper for the North American market, we have partnered with Reimo in Germany and with much prodding have convinced them to develop a pop top full camper based on the Vito (Metris for us).We are also doing this with the blessing of Mercedes Benz Canada who have been wonderful to work with!
I have just recently received my first Metris,and we are starting to measure and take into account some of the subtle differences in the 2 market configurations for the vehicles, some of these go well beyond the obvious mechanical differences.

We will be offering this camper in both Canada and the US, there are some rules we need to follow with Mercedes, but they are there for the clients protection really ,issues with warranty and services ect.

Reimo is presently producing our first "North American" kit and that will hopefully be ready for shipment towards the end of January ,middle of Feb........., side windows are being worked out and developed,its a little more difficult working all of this long distance,but I am very very confident that this conversion will be well received here.

I am also working on a few more basic versions ,more surf van style very adaptable and affordable but completely functional.

In any case should you be curious what the reimo Vito looks like,please visit www.reimoamericas.com where you can see a short video of the Reimo Vito that was presented this year at the Dusseldorf RV show (which if you have never been, man what a show!!)

Best

Paul

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Looks great, Paul. Wishing you the best of luck, as having an option for a new mid-size van camper in this market will definitely be awesome.

shirk

Dreaming of a 4x4 Metris camper....

Put a full length set of rails in the floor that would allow a flexible layout. The option to set it up as 7/8 passenger van or 5 with a foldout bet, or 4 with foldout bed and storage/kitchen latched down to the rails.

A modular layout in one of these would be my dream vehicle.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Saw one in person yesterday. Look like a nice van.

Too bad its a RWD only platform in the USA.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Looking forward to any updates on this.

Hi Everyone

Full disclosure here, I (we) are making a Metris Camper for the North American market, we have partnered with Reimo in Germany and with much prodding have convinced them to develop a pop top full camper based on the Vito (Metris for us).We are also doing this with the blessing of Mercedes Benz Canada who have been wonderful to work with!
I have just recently received my first Metris,and we are starting to measure and take into account some of the subtle differences in the 2 market configurations for the vehicles, some of these go well beyond the obvious mechanical differences.

We will be offering this camper in both Canada and the US, there are some rules we need to follow with Mercedes, but they are there for the clients protection really ,issues with warranty and services ect.

Reimo is presently producing our first "North American" kit and that will hopefully be ready for shipment towards the end of January ,middle of Feb........., side windows are being worked out and developed,its a little more difficult working all of this long distance,but I am very very confident that this conversion will be well received here.

I am also working on a few more basic versions ,more surf van style very adaptable and affordable but completely functional.

In any case should you be curious what the reimo Vito looks like,please visit www.reimoamericas.com where you can see a short video of the Reimo Vito that was presented this year at the Dusseldorf RV show (which if you have never been, man what a show!!)

Best

Paul

otiswesty

Regular guy
Looked at the cargo and 8 seater minivan version today. Cab area is well done. I am looking forward to hearing more about upfitting costs for the Reimo full pop up camper. Looks like a great product.

rydz

Hi Guys

A very quick update, looks like we will be offering a "weekender" version, it will be built on the passenger van . This will give you the ability to carry 5 people and sleep 4 , no interior furniture, but you will get the full sliding larger 3 seat/bed, as well as the pop top (with and without bed). The seating will also be able to come completely out of the van leaving you with a fully flat floor (for any cargo needs) so you can take a bike or 2 and still sleep in the van, or simply go to Home Depot for a load of plywood.

My goal is to make this more than a camper, it wants to be the adventure/get lost vehicle you can use as your everyday daily driver!

More on this when I return from Dusseldorf at the end of August.

Thanks

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL