Microwave for truck camper

maytag

What about replacing an oven with a microwave/ convection oven unit?

I have the Panasonic one and it does a great job baking, roasting, and microwaving

I have no idea what the power usage would be off hand but it says "1100 watts of cooking power!"

seems like the dual usage could be even more beneficial in a small space

Scoutman

Explorer
The wattage requirement should be on the back of the appliance. My 700w mcrowave states 1000w (input). I expect your unit would be higher.

Thanks for those numbers. While I could probably get by with a larger microwave, I'll probably stay with the 700-800w units. They'll be much lighter too.

Prolixmuse

As an update to this thread:

I purchased an iWaveCube (600w rated) and have been running it off a 1000w inverter, with absolutely no problem, and with minimal drain. Well, there's one problem --- can't use WiFi when the dang thing is on (too much interference), so I had to install a switch to turn it off when not in use. It's not the greatest microwave, to be sure. Takes about 5 minutes to heat up a bowl of soup, but as it's a bastage to setup my heating elements, this thing is a real boon to my lazy livin'.

So far I'm not glowing in the dark.

Scoutman

Explorer
Cool, thanks for the update. Sounds like a cheap 700-800w microwave would easily work for light use. I haven't been in the camper in a while but when I get it fired back up I may dig back into the microwave idea. :chef:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I purchased an iWaveCube (600w rated)

As I mentioned earlier in this thread - the iWavecube is a 350w microwave. It draws 600w of power, but the magnetron has only 350w of cooking power.

Most microwave marketing is based on the rating of the magnetron (the cooking power) so you have to pay attention if running it from an inverter because an "800w" microwave can actually draw over 1200w of electricity.

With the iWavecube on the other hand, they are using the power draw number in the marketing instead of the cooking power number to make it look more powerful than it is.

According to the the specifications in the instruction manual, the IW600 actually has 350w of microwave cooking power:

http://iwavecube.com/files/IW600SIL-IM0508.html

"Rated Input Power (Microwave): 600 Watts
Rated Output Power (Microwave): 350Watts"

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
As I mentioned earlier in this thread - the iWavecube is a 350w microwave. It draws 600w of power, but the magnetron has only 350w of cooking power.

Most microwave marketing is based on the rating of the magnetron (the cooking power) so you have to pay attention if running it from an inverter because an "800w" microwave can actually draw over 1200w of electricity.

With the iWavecube on the other hand, they are using the power draw number in the marketing instead of the cooking power number to make it look more powerful than it is.

According to the the specifications in the instruction manual, the IW600 actually has 350w of microwave cooking power:

http://iwavecube.com/files/IW600SIL-IM0508.html

"Rated Input Power (Microwave): 600 Watts
Rated Output Power (Microwave): 350Watts"

Good info to know, thanks for sharring

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Use the space the microwave would take up storing Jiffy Pop that pops over the burner. It would weigh less too. The fewer things using up your battery power the better in my mind. I'd rather have the furnace able to run longer than pop some pop corn.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I just bought the cheapest one I could find. I expect to have to replace it annually.

Don't expect me to share any of my popcorn with you :drool:

overl4nder

Observer
Super old thread! But I will revive it. I am looking for flatbed microwaves,i.e. no turntable
The best I have been able to find this ->

Its 0.8 cu feet, and 1000W. i am wondering if there are similar 800W models (with around 1100W nominal power consumption rather than 1500W)

Nailhead

I have a 1000w little retro microwave that is indispensable for warming a burrito quickly when cooking is impractical or unappealing.

It has a turntable, which hasn’t presented any issues so far.

Mules

I thought about using a 12v microwave, but it's cheaper to buy a $300 Pecron power supply and a $50 120v 700watt microwave. The Pecron is the cheapest/best power supply that has a 1500watt inverter built in to handle larger loads. It also charges quickly off the truck's alternator.

I'm planning on rebuilding my kitchen in the future with a built in spot for a small microwave and induction burner.

I'm guessing you have to throw a hand towel under the turntable, while driving to stop it from rattling?

IMG_8373.JPGIMG_9353.JPG

craig333

Expedition Leader
I've never heard of pecron until the other day. Are they new to the scene? Many times I want to get going in the morning, not cooking and cleaning up after breakast. A microwave sausage biscuit or so works great so I can get on my way. One of the arms on the turntable broke on my microwave but the cheapie Kmart special keeps chugging along. Must have 15 years on it by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater