Might be getting an FJ

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well guys my trusty old Ranger is getting tired. When I bought it I said it would be around for 10 years. THe truck is 10 now and it loks like the tranny is starting to go. I'm going to try and linp it till April and then get a new FJ

My plan is to get a 4wd with manual tranny. Hav ethe guys at toyota of dallas install front and rear arb lockers, arb bumper and full rack, sliders and engel. Then I'll Fly out and pick it up. Once I get home add a rear bumper Viar compressor, 2nd battery and it will be done. My goal is a daily driver but I will use it with the Campa trailer I'm getting as well for Mild trips and later turn it into my full time trailrig once the Taco ir ready to be put to pasture.

My big challenge is deciding color. Silver Yellow or Black Cherry.
Silver is the coolest color temp wise which is important in Fl. However Yellow and Black Cherry look really good imo. So decisions decisions.

FJ Cruiser

Adventurer
You'll love the FJ. Great daily driver, good gas mileage and the ride on road is awesome. Plus it's very capable off-road - even with stock tires. I'm going to run 2.5" Sway-A-Way kit and looking at an ARB front bumper and Demello rock sliders. I think I may go with a Waeco fridge.

Silver is by far the best color choice (IMO) I wanted an all white or tan color, but I guess I can repaint it later.

Good luck!

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
You will LOVE the FJ. Mine is silver as well - problem is, Silver is by far the most popular color - so put a flag or somehting on it so you dont lose it in the crowd <grin>

asteffes

Explorer
Nullifier said:
Well guys my trusty old Ranger is getting tired. When I bought it I said it would be around for 10 years. THe truck is 10 now and it loks like the tranny is starting to go. I'm going to try and linp it till April and then get a new FJ

My plan is to get a 4wd with manual tranny. Hav ethe guys at toyota of dallas install front and rear arb lockers, arb bumper and full rack, sliders and engel. Then I'll Fly out and pick it up. Once I get home add a rear bumper Viar compressor, 2nd battery and it will be done. My goal is a daily driver but I will use it with the Campa trailer I'm getting as well for Mild trips and later turn it into my full time trailrig once the Taco ir ready to be put to pasture.

My big challenge is deciding color. Silver Yellow or Black Cherry.
Silver is the coolest color temp wise which is important in Fl. However Yellow and Black Cherry look really good imo. So decisions decisions.

I find the yellow to be a bit obnoxious. I guess when I'm out and about in the woods or something I don't need a bright yellow vehicle frying my retnas and polluting the landscape. Get the silver.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
asteffes said:
I find the yellow to be a bit obnoxious. I guess when I'm out and about in the woods or something I don't need a bright yellow vehicle frying my retnas and polluting the landscape. Get the silver.

Thanks for the brutal honesty :hehe:

KMR

Adventurer
Yup, same opinion of the yellow, it just seems to scream LOOK AT ME. I figure if you are going to go that route, just go ahead and get an H2. ;)

I am a big fan of the new all black TRD version, but that does not help your thermal gain issue. Go with the silver, save our retinas. :)

asteffes

Explorer
Black will get trashed off-road. I've owned two black vehicles and will never go back to black on an everyday car. It's just too much work.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I thought Toyota should have offered the FJC in the original (or at least some of them) colors. I think the desert beige, pumpkin orange, forest green, fire red and mustard would all be better than the nuclear yellow, electric blue and purple. OK, yeah not all the colors were low key. The John Deere Green of the later FJ40s was pretty flashy. Anyway, I'd personally go with silver, since there is no white.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
KMR said:
Yup, same opinion of the yellow, it just seems to scream LOOK AT ME. I figure if you are going to go that route, just go ahead and get an H2. :)

Oh man can ya feel the love LOL!

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I'm not usually a fan of silver on anything other then say a Porsche, but in person I think the FJ's silver looks great. Pictures don't do it justice at all. Oh and yellow is over the top, it's really bright in person.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Yea the color issue is a big one. Silver is the smart and practical choice. It will show the least amount of wear and tear and match the campa trailer. However it is the most bland color as far as I'm concerned. Black cherry will be the "hot" color but with black wheels, rack, bull bar, sliders etc it will look sick. Yellow is just plain fun and yes it is screeming look at me and will burn Asteffes eyes out, but hey I'm not really buying the FJ to be practical. If I was doing that I would buy a Tacoma. Tuff stuff this color selection.

On a side note I really have to coment on the difference of the stick and auto. I can't believe the on road difference between the 2. The stick is a much better handilng truck due to the full time 4wd IMO.

What's also wierd is how the Toyota dealers around the nation have completely different options available by region. Example here in the southeast the distributor offers a back up camera with 5" screen and a bluetooth connection as options. However the Guys at Toyota of Dallas do not have that available as an option and had no idea what I was talking about. Their distibutor does not offer those items. So if I buy local I can get the bluetooth and camera if I buy From TOD them I will have to install a Motorola 1000 Bluetooth and a custom camera system.

There is a silver one coming in in 3 weeks that has a stick and the convenience pakage for $25,750. At least I know that they can be had without all the crap on them and under 30K. Most of the lot vehicles are 30K + in my area.

cruiser guy

Explorer
What do folks think about the blind spots in the FJ Cruiser? I sat in one when I was at the dealer and the blind spot was HUGE in my opinion.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
cruiser guy said:
What do folks think about the blind spots in the FJ Cruiser? I sat in one when I was at the dealer and the blind spot was HUGE in my opinion.
This is probably the biggest reason we went with the used 100 instead of a new FJC. The overall visability, not just driving, is very bad. I really like to enjoy the landscape, the chop top design of the FJC obstructs way to much of the view.

Which really sucks because I have seen what they can do off road with stock tires and they are incredible.

If we had went with the FJC I would have insisted on voodoo blue. My first Cruiser wound up Smurf blue after I rolled it and had the camo job painted over. ;)

asteffes

Explorer
My thoughts about not buying yellow are rooted in the whole tread lightly ethos. Bright yellow paint detracts from the view for other people who look out at a pretty green hillside and see a bright yellow vehicle in the middle of it all. Somehow seeing a white or silver or green vehicle just seems less invasive than bright colors. If you believe that we should minimize our impact on nature and leave the areas we visit better than we found them, you might keep that in mind when choosing a color for your off road vehicle.

I'm generally against louder-than-stock exhausts for the same reason. A couple extra horsepower just isn't worth the increase in noise pollution.

KMR

Adventurer
Hey! You know what would probably look REALLY nice, and be unique, buy a silver one and have it painted white.
The FJC would look real slick all white. Be like sleeper bling:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal