Might be getting an FJ

kcowyo

ExPo Original
asteffes said:
My thoughts about not buying yellow are rooted in the whole tread lightly ethos......

.....If you believe that we should minimize our impact on nature and leave the areas we visit better than we found them, you might keep that in mind when choosing a color for your off road vehicle.

Seriously?

This seems a little extreme or do you just really not like yellow?

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
asteffes said:
I'm generally against louder-than-stock exhausts for the same reason. A couple extra horsepower just isn't worth the increase in noise pollution.

Hmmm I guess you won't like my taco in person then! man yellow FJ, laod taco looks like we are opposites! :hehe:

No I understand your point on exhaust. Silence is becoming a precious comodity these days. When I go on paddling trips in remote areas I wish there was some way to make them no fly zones also. It seems small aircraft are everywhere these days and nothing ruins an early quiet morning paddle more then a low flying single engine aircraft.

esh

Explorer
I thought I heard Toyota is bringing out more 40 series colors- desert beige/tan/whatever it is, being one of them.

justfred

Adventurer
This is why I don't own one

cruiser guy said:
What do folks think about the blind spots in the FJ Cruiser? I sat in one when I was at the dealer and the blind spot was HUGE in my opinion.

I came very, very close to buying one of these. But once I got to sit in it, it wasn't just "blind spots" but overall lack of visibility - low visor, high dash, high window sills L and R, spare tire blocking whatever viz there would have been out the back. Adn when you sit in the driver seat, with it pushed back to comfortable position, there's a pillar blocking your viz at 90 degrees.

The OP is talking about towing a trailer. I can't imagine trying to look over my shoulder and even SEE the trailer, let alone try to back up. I moved this weekend, so I got to do this half a dozen times, and in the Rover it's cake.

I still think they look great. Too bad they couldn't figure out how to peel a little more metal off so you could actually see out of the thing.

FJ Cruiser

Adventurer
My first choice was white, but since that wasn't an option I thought that the silver would be best. I Think a beige / tan color would be very nice if that ever becomes an option.

The blind spots do take some getting use to, a smaller C pillar and larger rear side windows would be a good fix. Other than that, it's not bad at all. I was torn between the FJ & a double cab Tacoma at the time, but since the FJ is a daily driver I wanted something that drove better on the highway as well as off-road. Don't get me wrong, the Tacoma rocks, but it has too much bounce driving the LA freeways.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
justfred said:
I came very, very close to buying one of these. But once I got to sit in it, it wasn't just "blind spots" but overall lack of visibility - low visor, high dash, high window sills L and R, spare tire blocking whatever viz there would have been out the back. Adn when you sit in the driver seat, with it pushed back to comfortable position, there's a pillar blocking your viz at 90 degrees.

The OP is talking about towing a trailer. I can't imagine trying to look over my shoulder and even SEE the trailer, let alone try to back up. I moved this weekend, so I got to do this half a dozen times, and in the Rover it's cake.

I still think they look great. Too bad they couldn't figure out how to peel a little more metal off so you could actually see out of the thing.

I wanted an FJ until I got to drive one, the poor visibility was a deal breaker for me. An analogy I agree with:looking out of an FJ is much like looking out of a football helmet.

I was able to get a 4runner ($35K MSRP) for $29,500 about the same as every available FJ. I do realize that prices of the FJ have fallen since last March, but my advice is at least drive 4runner (of course I am bias b/c I am a very happy 4runner owner).

Aside from the visibility, I love the FJ's!

asteffes

Explorer
FJ Cruiser said:
My first choice was white, but since that wasn't an option I thought that the silver would be best. I Think a beige / tan color would be very nice if that ever becomes an option.

The blind spots do take some getting use to, a smaller C pillar and larger rear side windows would be a good fix. Other than that, it's not bad at all. I was torn between the FJ & a double cab Tacoma at the time, but since the FJ is a daily driver I wanted something that drove better on the highway as well as off-road. Don't get me wrong, the Tacoma rocks, but it has too much bounce driving the LA freeways.

I'm of the opinion that one should plan to toss the TRD suspension shortly after buying and replace it with Donahoe front coilovers and rear dampers. They work light years better both on and off-road.

asteffes

Explorer
TRXRacing said:
Get whatever color you want imo. The trees and animals won't care..most of them are color blind.:ylsmoke:

My comments had more to do with the people with whom he shares the trees and animals.

erin

Explorer
Personally, I think the silver or yellow because I feel they go with the white roof the best. I like the blue alot, but can't stand it with the white top. In the end, get what you want, that's why my Taco isn't white.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Yea the more and more I look at them I think Black Cherry is gonna win out. However that depends if I can get it with a stick. Toyota of Dallas is where I was planning on getting mine and they can not get it in a stick since the distributor does not order any in the combination. I am going to talk to my local guys and see wht's up.

imagodave

Adventurer
Nullifier said:
Yea the more and more I look at them I think Black Cherry is gonna win out. However that depends if I can get it with a stick. Toyota of Dallas is where I was planning on getting mine and they can not get it in a stick since the distributor does not order any in the combination. I am going to talk to my local guys and see wht's up.

Black Cherry was my favorite also, I am a solar contractor so went with Yellow to match my other trucks, 6-sp MT, OME, 255/85/16, Pro Comp Steel Wheels, ARB Roof Rack, ARB Bull Bar & Warn 8000 with dual Battery set up sitting in garage waiting for time to install, Expedition One Rock Sliders on the way, I keep browsing this site and come up with something else each week.....:sunny:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online