Mil Trailer Build

I got a mil M46 trailer the other day to build into a expedition trailer. Someone cut the sides off and raised the fenders to clear HMMVW tires that was on it when the mil pulled it carrying a generator. I'm goin to build new sides for it, build a hinged top, put a roof top tent on it, carry a spare in it, as well as extra fuel, maybe a cb, all the campin stuff, spare parts in it, and im sure more stuff.

I started it 2 nights ago. I lifted it to clear the 38's im puttin on it to match the jeep.

Here are a couple pics before i lifted it. In these pics its sittin behind my wifes Cherokee.

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

Here are a couple of it after i lifted it sittin behind my Cherokee.

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

The tires and wheels on it now wont stay. I have a set of black wagon wheels and im pickin up a matchin set of 38.5 tsl/sx. You can see the height diff in the lift between the first pic in each set.

The back of the Cherokee is saggin a bit cause there is about 500lbs to 1000lbs or more of cargo in it. Also im bout to lift the back another inch and also stretch the wheel base in the rear a inch or so.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Stress...

Intersting build....!
Just wanted to offer a thought if you don't mind? You may want to shorten the tubing that is the mount for the XJ side of the pintle. There looks to be a lot of tubing between the reciever hitch and the actual pintle. That translates into a great deal of twisting force...
Keep up the work...I'm curious!

I plan on it. I wasnt sure how long I needed when i cut the tube. I knew when i made it i could always cut it down if i made it long. If made to short then i would be screwed. The reason the plate is so big on the pintle is I dont have my plasma cutter wired up yet and the pintle came welded to that plate. I'm goin to cut it down and also gusset the plate to the tube. I do alot of trail riding and rock crawling. We are tryin to plan some expedition trips too. Always wanted to have a trailer i could just pull along setup camp wheel and not have to load and unload the back of the jeep. Keep it all in the trailer and dont have to load or unload it all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven