military or custom

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Build your own for sure. It's a great way to get back into welding!

There are so many +'s for building your own nd only a few for buying and modifying a military trailer...

The reason's I went custom:
Axle width matches my Jeep.
Bolt pattern, rims, rubber all match my Jeep (as spares if need be)
Electric brakes
Lighter
Better springs then a military trailer (CJ 2" lift front springs)

Now, you can do all that to a military trailer and end up with the same result, but the work to modify it is far greater then the work to build it to the same state. Mine is lighter then an M101, it has the Max Coupler, and I can easily add/remove parts as I see fit. Total cost is substantially less then an M101 (they go for $1000-$1200 around here quite easily).

I got 3 out of your 5 reasons for about half an hour worth of work. You still need to buy the axle for the homebrew trailer anyways, so there's no difference there.

If you want to spend a bunch of time cutting and fitting parts to build your own, go for it. I found it a lot easier to buy an M416 and do a few small tweaks to make it do what I want. I was originally going to build one myself, but considering the price I paid for my M416 ($350 in very good shape) it was certainly easier and less expensive for me to start with an existing trailer.

frumpy

Explorer
If it was my purchase...

I'd bump up to a custom 3500# and match the hub face width (WMS) to my rig.
Matching hub, lug pattern... so I could run the same tires and wheels as my rig.

10" E brakes would be swell... as well.

Then I'd build the frame and tub to fit the axle...
instead of building the frame and tub first.

JMO of course.

For now I'm not going to plan on using brakes as I can't see hauling more than 1000lbs (including trailer weight) and probably less on the trails. The bolt pattern on that axle are the same as my jeep too. I wanted to keep it a little bit narrow than the jeep so it will follow easier on the trails, exact same as the jeep would be nice but that means custom axle.

I could also get this 3500lbs for $200 but its 72" wide, which seems like it would be a little wide
http://www.princessauto.com/towing/trailers/axles/8186710-3500-lb-trailer-axle

If they fit your needs, the military has been unloading scores of 3/4-ton trailers. They're available all over the country.

Craig

tons of them in the US, not so much in Canada. I personally don't want the hassle of trying to bring a US military trailer across the boarder

I got 3 out of your 5 reasons for about half an hour worth of work. You still need to buy the axle for the homebrew trailer anyways, so there's no difference there.

If you want to spend a bunch of time cutting and fitting parts to build your own, go for it. I found it a lot easier to buy an M416 and do a few small tweaks to make it do what I want. I was originally going to build one myself, but considering the price I paid for my M416 ($350 in very good shape) it was certainly easier and less expensive for me to start with an existing trailer.

the military trailers I have seen, which are very few, are all over $1000 usually and need a full resto

frumpy

Explorer
Any more input on axles? I know a 3500lbs would be better off but will the 2000lbs work? Its already the right width and bolt pattern is the same as my jeep (and have two spare wheels already). I can't see the weight including the trailer weight being over 1000lbs, probably less.

What is the best route for springs? I can get trailer springs for about $30 each or should I look into CJ springs or something else?

what I would like to build is pretty much a light weight version of rk_az's trailer
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31188
P1050751-1.jpg

I decided to go custom and 5min ago get a response to an old kijiji ad I had posted up looking for a military trailer. He's 3 hours away but has a mint M101 for $725... hook up and roll

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I decided to go custom and 5min ago get a response to an old kijiji ad I had posted up looking for a military trailer. He's 3 hours away but has a mint M101 for $725... hook up and roll

Nice!!

If that doesn't work out:

I think a 2000# axle will be fine for that small of trailer,

And go with as long of leafs as you can. The short, stiff trailer springs are made for heavy loads, and ride really rough without enough weight in the trailer.

The Military 1/4 ton trailers use early CJ springs (CJ3B I believe) those coupled with shocks, give a nice ride whether empty or loaded.

The one i have is a m416 that the army reserves molested bad. All the sides where cut off, it now looks like a generator trailer. The flat bed trailers JeepDreamer is talking about is the generator trailer. Its the same frame wheels fenders and all just don't have a tub on it. The good thing about it had new brakes, tires, lights, wiring, jeep side pintle. I ended up snagging it for $50. I have also seen some go on craigslist for under $100. They needed work but if your going to modify them anyways it didn't matter.

frumpy

Explorer
Well I just found out his buddy might want it, I should know tonight. If his buddy doesn't want it I will be making the 6 hour round trip this week and have it for the weekend. Wish me luck.

If I do have to go custom I was thinking of using the longest spring I could find in the 1000lbs-1250lbs range or see what I can get from a offroad shop.

frumpy

Explorer
Just got the call and heading down tomorrow after work. Work 7-3:30, come pick up the wife and on the road shortly after 4 for the 6 hour round trip (and I just got back from there Sunday night)

Guess my mind was made up for me, will have my M101 CDN tomorrow :D

TacoDell

Adventurer
congratulations...
on your purchase of the CDN.

great find...

I'm sure your elated :)

At least this won't be another WWII trailer, getting hacked up, for camper joy. :clapsmile

frumpy

Explorer
I don't really plan on chopping it up much, but I'm glad its not something rare and in demand for resto's. Can't wait to go get it tonight, but have a feeling I'm going to have to pull the spare off the back to clear the pintle hitch

frumpy

Explorer
heres a few pics

just pulled up the specs on the trailer at work using the nato stock number on the plate so I have all the "offical" info

Attachments

• m101.jpg
    m101.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,145
  • m101 2.jpg
    m101 2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 24
  • m101 3.jpg
    m101 3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 17
  • m101 4.jpg
    m101 4.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 25
  • m101 5.jpg
    m101 5.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

rezdiver

Adventurer
I don't really plan on chopping it up much, but I'm glad its not something rare and in demand for resto's. Can't wait to go get it tonight, but have a feeling I'm going to have to pull the spare off the back to clear the pintle hitch

actually, i think there was only about 2000 of these made so they are getting hard to find, you can note this by the way prices are going up for these things, when they first started to auction these off they were selling for 2-500 each, now you can hardly find one for under $1300 and prices are still going up.
but on that note have fun with it, its a great trailer, its no good to anyone being a garage ornament, good find, congradulations.

tuber

Looks like its in great shape! congrats!

Nice that it has the military lights - mine didn't (and still doesn't) have any :(

frumpy

Explorer
Ya I like the military lights and it has been converted to 12 volt already too. I can't check on our computers how many were created but I think you are right that it was right around 2000.

The guy thats selling it has a 52 willys that he is selling also and I think thats the only reason hes getting rid of the trailer. I was talking to him on the phone and told him what I was planning on doing with it (he thought I had an early jeep) and he thought it was awesome and glad it was going to be used.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Looks like its in great shape! congrats!

Nice that it has the military lights - mine didn't (and still doesn't) have any :(

The military still uses the identical lights on the new equipment. You should be able to find them if you can contact a base DRMO (Directorate of Reutilization and Management Office.

This may be a good starting point:

http://www.drms.dla.mil/sales/

rezdiver

Adventurer
there is usually about 2 dozen of them at a time on ebay. price range from 20 to 150 dollars for a pair. make sure you get the ones with the aluminium housing and not the older design with the plastic housing. the plastic deteriorates and the screws crack and break the plastic housing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven