mods you wouldnt do again ...

Superu

Explorer
Bought and sold 2 roof racks over the past 4 years. Don't miss them. When I need to carry gear up top, I put the factory cross bars back on and attach a 20 cu ft cargo box which also doubles as a light duty trailer box as well.

IMG00170.jpg

brn24whl

Observer
Setting a Rover up on soft flexy coils with tons of travel and living in the north east where trees are the big issue. Great in Moab horrible in Vermont. I have learned alot over the years about what works and what sucks suspension wise.

But now I am more about driving to a location rather than real heavy beat on my truck off roading. :smiley_drive:

Toyotero

Explorer
I put Tuff Country add-a-leaf springs on the rear of a 88 4Runner that I had to level the saggy springs with the front height. They were about 18 inches long and very thick... they leveled it ok, but they rode like I had put bricks between the axle and frame.

A few years later I decided to take the packs apart and replace them with some full length springs with a higher arch to do it right. When I took the spring packs off, I was surprised to see that BOTH springs had broken across the middle (where the line-up pin's hole is). The driver's side was missing one half and the passenger's side front half had rotated at some point and deeply scraped into the fuel tank shield.

Lesson learned. Do it right the first time, even if it is expensive. That way it only hurts once and it's in the wallet.

Rigged

Observer
My roof rack looks good and I do sometimes use it, but as you say, the money could have been spent someplace else.

Everyone in my local Jeep Club is lifted and has huge tires. This improves low speed off road capability, but also requires re-gearing to turn those big tires, raises the center of gravity, reduces highway speed and does not improve your gas milage.

The TJ series is a capable small off road vehicle in stock condition. Not perfect, but she'll do in a pinch. Once you start modifying them, one thing leads to another and $10K later, you'll wish you were back to "stock."

Unfortunately most people that get involved in the off road community see the "typical" Jeep or truck, and that's what they want. Without knowing the true purpose of every piece of equipment they bolt onto their trucks. If I knew what I know now I would have taken a completely different approach. I know I am not alone. I have had quite a few conversations with people about modifying their vehicle and it has always had a good outcome. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to persuade people to keep their vehicles stock or go with tall and skinny tires, but merely informing them and letting them make their own decision.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I'll break with the trend and say I love my roof rack. I use it for light-but-large cargo so I don't have to pile such things in front of the back windows, and as a mounting location for lights and antennas. It also has a storage box for some lightweight dirty items I don't want in the truck (rubber boots for the mud, funnels for auto fluids, fuel filler, spill cleanup kit, etc).

I regret starting the relocation project for the washer fluid reservoir. After getting half way there (including removing the tubing up front) I found out that my year of vehicle ('04 Disco) has a bunch of smog equipment occupying the popular alternate location. As if that wasn't bad enough, about 2 weeks ago I found an aftermarket low profile tank that would clear the bumper I picked out... so it turns out I didn't even have to do the mod. :(

SGNellett

Adventurer
Detroit locker on a truck that see's a lot of street. Loved cruising my 75 Jimmy all over the place right up till the Detroit. It was awesome off road but on road in a curve you could steer the truck with the gas peddle. You always had to keep after it to go down the road straight. It made driving it a chore.

Polly body mounts. Just too much noise transmitted in the cab if you run without carpet.

Haven't you heard of throttle assisted rear wheel steer? You were a pioneer and didn't even know it!

x32792

Adventurer
Your Set Up Should Suit Your Application

Rigged,

Between "off roading" and going long with light off roading (also read overlanding or expedition driving) is a big place.

I just completed a 7,000 mile overland in my stock '01 TJ with 30" A/T tires...3,500 miles was on gps plotted dirt and gravel. When I got to Moab, did I wish I was in a more "off road" capable machine with lots of bolt-ons and bigger tires? Yes.

On the long ride back to Florida, did I wish I was in a more "off road" capable machine? No.

John

Spikepretorius

Explorer
On my previous truck the mod I wouldn't do again was a 2 inch body lift.

Recently I've been considering a body lift for my current truck and I've even ordered the spacers. Mmmmmmmm. De ja vu

The main issue on the previous vehicle was that it ruined the waterproof seal at the gearlever so if I went in deep water it flooded the cab. I don't know if this vehicle will be the same

jh504

Explorer
I'll break with the trend and say I love my roof rack. I use it for light-but-large cargo so I don't have to pile such things in front of the back windows, and as a mounting location for lights and antennas. It also has a storage box for some lightweight dirty items I don't want in the truck (rubber boots for the mud, funnels for auto fluids, fuel filler, spill cleanup kit, etc).

I regret starting the relocation project for the washer fluid reservoir. After getting half way there (including removing the tubing up front) I found out that my year of vehicle ('04 Disco) has a bunch of smog equipment occupying the popular alternate location. As if that wasn't bad enough, about 2 weeks ago I found an aftermarket low profile tank that would clear the bumper I picked out... so it turns out I didn't even have to do the mod. :(

If a lived in AZ I would probably have a low profile roof rack on my truck for the convienance of it. The main reason I dont have a roof rack now is geographical. I try to keep my exterior very clean and simple due to the thickness of the trails.

Unfortunately most people that get involved in the off road community see the "typical" Jeep or truck, and that's what they want. Without knowing the true purpose of every piece of equipment they bolt onto their trucks. If I knew what I know now I would have taken a completely different approach. I know I am not alone. I have had quite a few conversations with people about modifying their vehicle and it has always had a good outcome. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to persuade people to keep their vehicles stock or go with tall and skinny tires, but merely informing them and letting them make their own decision.

Huge lifts is probably right at the top for modifications I wouldnt do again. Along with any other unnecessary mod that changes my vehicle from stock form. Lately I find myself trying to keep my vehicle as close to stock as I can and still be able to do what I want it to.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
SOA. Doing a spring over axle mod on my CJ7 was a mistake!

Along with running the cheapest shocks I could find, it was a scary ride!!

Have since 'fixed' this mod with a 3" spring (under) lift.

The bump steer and axle wrap was crazy, and with the stock narrow trac axles and hardtop, it was extremely tippy.

After building my roof rack, I now need to modify it to reduce it's weight. So, I'd say racks are fine, as long as thier not so heavy you feel a difference in how your vehicle corners :snorkel:

When I need to carry gear up top, I put the factory cross bars back on and attach a 20 cu ft cargo box......

IMG00170.jpg

I'm also considering buying a cargo box like this for lighter gear such as sleeping bags & pads, tent, chairs, etc.. but since Colorado does have some tight overgrown trails, I was thinking of utilizing limb risers to push most small/med branches over the box, but I'm undecided....:coffee:

Rigged

Observer
Rigged,

Between "off roading" and going long with light off roading (also read overlanding or expedition driving) is a big place.

I just completed a 7,000 mile overland in my stock '01 TJ with 30" A/T tires...3,500 miles was on gps plotted dirt and gravel. When I got to Moab, did I wish I was in a more "off road" capable machine with lots of bolt-ons and bigger tires? Yes.

On the long ride back to Florida, did I wish I was in a more "off road" capable machine? No.

John

That's what is is all about! Finding that happy medium.

Aftermarket wheels. They looked really good but drove terribly. The combination of decreased backspacing (wider track) and different offset created understeer and ponderous driving. Add slightly larger tires and I hated the ride. So it's back to stock rims with different slightly larger tires...not perfect, but much mo' better. Oh well...it's only $$$, right!? :sombrero:

RusM

Adventurer
Everything, I'd buy an already built solid axle Yota for a wheeler and then save half the money up I spent on mods and buy a late 90's Camry for a commuter. Be in two truck the same amount I'm in one and much more practical on both ends for my use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater