Montero 96 SR

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the link, this may be a stupid question but how do I know if mine is a gen 2 or 2.5? I read that thread earlier this week but wasn’t 100% if it was for my truck
Yours is a Gen 2 (flat fenders vs flared fenders). I hesitate to call your a '98, but there are some weird transition models, so maybe?

Gen 2.5 looks like this:
i-dr4rTSj-X2.jpg

Jrussell90

Yea I think mine is gen2, so in the thread you posted, are a lot of the parts applicable for both models? The thread you linked in gen 2.5

Jrussell90

And it’s running and starting on first crank... just no information on any belt replacements on general maintenance so hesitant to drive it Incase it goes south and I need a whole rebuild

Reactions: plh

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Yea I think mine is gen2, so in the thread you posted, are a lot of the parts applicable for both models? The thread you linked in gen 2.5
Yes, Interior is directly the same, drivetrain is 99% the same. Gen 2's came with a few different flavors of engines, including SOHC and DOHC versions. The parts for the 3.0 SOHC are mostly the same as the 3.5 SOHC motor, with minor exceptions to the "front plate" the that holds all the accessory items on. The DOHC is pretty different however. You'll often find the motor referenced by its code name, and I can't for the life of remember it right now, I think its something like "6G72" or 74 or something like that. They used the same engine in several vehicles and across model years, though it grew from 3.0 to 3.5 to 3.8, all on the same basic engine design.

The Gen 2.5's I think were all 3.5's from 98-2000, and then the Gen 3's were initially 3.5's until 2003? and then went to 3.8L versions. All very similar

Jrussell90

You’re right mine is the 6G72 DOHC 3.5. Thanks for all the info, my last project was an MR2 and there is so much available for them on the web this has been a bit more tricky

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach