Morally Flexible's Trailer Build - British Military Trailer

uk trailer guy

Observer
If someone could explain the brakes of this beast i would be grateful ...

You're in luck - this is my cup of tea. It's a UK spec auto-reverse braking system.

The coupling manufacturer (indespension Ltd) I worked for, for about 15 years, before starting up on my own :)

So....

It's an auto reverse braking system, with over run brakes. Judging by the backplates in the photographs, it looks like you have Knott brakes (without seeing the actual shoes, it's hard to be sure, but I'm fairly confident).

The coupling is an Indespension delta coupling with a NATO (76mm) eye fitted.

If you want I can see how much it would be to post over a well thumbed manual with parts and how to service this sort of brake arrangement?

All the best, Ben

uk trailer guy

Observer
If the rims are 16" jobs with 5 x 5/8" studs on a 6.5" PCD (i.e. Land Rover stud pattern) then it's likely you'll have Knott 250mm x 40mm brake shoes.

I can't imagine the shoes will need replacing, as they're unlikely to have done many miles. But the drums are really easy to strip down, ergo to check.

Adventure Copan

Adventurer
This is a very unique trailer and build. Very jealous of your find and the overall condition of the trailer. There's so many possibilities for this beast, it's unreal. :D I also love the door setup. Looking forward to seeing this unfold.

-Daniel Kent

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
As strong as this thing is made, I would figure a way to use the sides as a base for the tent on top, but also make them the canopy around the trailer Instead of folding up and over, a lift to level for the top and the lower swung level and supported by one of the sites on the trailer. Room for a major clean up area, a kitchen, and pull out bed it seems, with a solid roof over the. Lots of options on this thing Have fun man

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

MorallyFlexible

Ben - thanks for the inside information, i really appreciate it.

Daniel - thanks, I'm excited for this build.

Bob - I was thinking the same thing... the only thing that gets me is that while the doors are open to hold a tent of some sort, the doors are open :) I'd wake up to a family of raccoon have moved in :)

Anyone have a good link to update the wiring to be compatible with a 2009 Tacoma 7 pin tow package? I think I read somewhere that the bulbs just need to be changed. But my trailers adapter was cut off so i just have an rough ended cable with 7 wires. And the wiring to the breaks is lose as well. Not sure what color wire goes to what 7 pin.

roadrider2617

Hi Dan, WOW what a unique trailer! This is a very interesting project. I just joined the forum, mind if I ask a few questions? It sounds like you have a definite plan in mind, I can see it in my mind's eye :) pretty awesome. You stated you have a Tacoma you will be towing this with, have you weighed the trailer after the insides were removed? (thought I read the trailer weighed 3450 pounds?) What is the towing capacity of your truck? I am thinking about how much structure will be added and how much it will increase the dry weight of the trailer. I recently had a landscaper drag his trailer into our shop with broken axles (he has a trailer with 2-3500 pound axles) This fellow had a local welder make steel sides on his trailer, they looked great and are very strong, the problem is they are so heavy the axles are over loaded with the trailer being empty. This is the second time in a year we are replacing the axles on his trailer. Can I suggest drawing up a plan with a list of items you must have and a list of what you would like to have. Determine how big of a platform you need to accomplish your goal then research the weight of the materials, add that to the weight of what would be taken along on a trip and try to get a handle on the finished weight of the rig. I noticed in the photos the axle is centered under the trailer, it is probably very well balanced with the tongue weight being less then 10% of the trailers weight. Check to see if there is a tag or label on the axle with the weight capacity.
Thanks for letting me join in
Frank

MorallyFlexible

Hi Frank,

Welcome to Expo Forum, very addicting site once you see all the amazing trailers these guys are creating.

I have not weighed the trailer afterwards yet, I need to get the trailer lights working so i can start the PA inspection process for home built trailers (I've heard). The pigtail (?) of the trailer wiring was cut off ... so i have to either pull new wires or try and work with the existing ones. Just waiting for a weekend i can get at it again. My Tacoma can pull 6,500 max, but I don't want to be quite that heavy. The trailer itself is very stout, the base frame is overkill on the design, but i appreciate that. I'll have to get under it this weekend to see if I can find an axle weight limit.

List of Items that will go into the trailer: - dependent on the trip

1. 15-20 gallon water tank (8.3 lbs per gallon = 125/166 lbs wet)
2. 12 volt ShurFlo water pump
3. ARB Simpson III Roof Top Tent - 150 lbs
4. 2 AGM batteries - 80 lbs?
5. Battery monitor - 2 lbs
6. 1200 Watt / 400 watt inverter - 7 lbs
7. Battery Tender for charging when 120 volt available - 3 lbs
8. Awnings
9. Kitchen - 2 burner stove / grill / sink
10. Shower plumbing
11. Generator - 80 lbs (not sure size, but would like it to run most of my tools or an air compressor) (honda or yamaha)
12. CB / HAM Radio / Scanner
13. Charging Station: flash lights, head lamps, ipad, frs radio's, phones, etc
14. Propane bottles (not sure what size yet, but lets just say the 20 lbs)
15. ... more shining stuff :)

Purpose of this Trailer: To be able to camp for a week or so without coming back to reload. To bridge the gap from comfort to nature for my young niece and nephews who have never camped (and their concerned mothers). To be able to just GO when I want. To have a SHTF housing just in case the world goes to crap or a natural disaster where we are relocated. To be able to use this trailer to run/hold all my tools to go out to my land and start to build my cabin (in a far off future). I'd like this trailer to be the everything trailer :)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/4031-tacoma-towing-bible.html

The 4.0L V6
236 hp @ 5,200 rpm
266 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm
Max. Towing capacity 6,500 lbs.
Max. Tongue weight 650 lbs.

MorallyFlexible

I was racking my brain (pun intended) on how to design a cargo rack around the A frame-ish shell of this beast. So I decided to just go with function over fashion. The roof rack will hold my ARB Simpson III roof top tent and be strong enough to hold additional gear as well. I could mount 4 square beams (the same ones you see holding street signs) on each corner of the trailer, the tops of these beams could hold the rack, the bottom could be used to hold leveling jacks on each corner. The rack will be the length of the trailer cab and the wide of my tent just shy of the wide of the trailer itself. (56" wide x 102" length - guesstimate)

IMG_0491.jpg

rockwood

Adventurer
Whats that space for 64 batteries? The battery weight alone is good reason for such heavyweight construction. Looks like it lead a sheltered life inside a hanger. Good luck with the built.

rockwood

Adventurer
Very odd. Wondering if its left over from the charging system for those runway lights rather than trailer wiring. Overall, suggest you consider scrapping the UK wiring system and simply converting to US wiring system to go with your Taco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh