Most Durable tent for my money?

18trdpro

Just came across the First Ascent Peak 3 tent. Anyone have any experience with them? Thats more in style of the type of tent im looking for.

Also does anyone know if the Malamoo X-tra tents are made in South AFrica, or have they moved production?

jadmt

ignore button user
Take a look at the Eureka Timberline tents. I’ve had my original tent for more than 12 years and it gets hard use. These are the tents that the boy scouts use because of the ease of setup and the durability. They go up quickly and comfortable to sleep in.

I will one up you on the Eureka Timberline. I have had one since the early 80's and while I don't use it much any more, I bet I have a 1000 nights in it. It still has the original aluminum poles. It still does not leak and has withstood some horrendous storms over the years. There might be fancier tents but I doubt many tents today will last as long.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Big tents don't hold up to wind, where I camp.

I just use Mountain Hardwear's lower line of tents. Not the ultralight versions. And then just get a 3 person instead of 2 for more room. I only use tents to change and sleep. I don't spend any time in them.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Big tents don't hold up to wind, where I camp.

I just use Mountain Hardwear's lower line of tents. Not the ultralight versions. And then just get a 3 person instead of 2 for more room. I only use tents to change and sleep. I don't spend any time in them.

Depends on the tent, 2 weeks ago we had 3 tents around us that broke while our Springbar hardly even moved, it's the same wind that capsized a boat and killed a man.

18trdpro

so far im leaning towards the First Ascent Peak 3 or Eureka Assault 4. the bushtec alpha 4000 looks like one hell of a tent. but i think i can wait and pick that up when i have a family. looking for something smaller.

any other tents i should look at. too be honest ive been on a fascination of south african gear. so if anyone knows any other south african made tents, please share your thought.s

dms1

Explorer
I recommend the Cabelas Alaskan Guide tents, they are very weatherproof and stand up to the wind. I had a Timberline tent as mentioned in several posts above, it was easy to put up and durable and was also very rainproof, but it did not do well in the wind. I was constantly replacing poles due to them being bent from the southern California desert winds. I have not had to replace a pole on my Alaskan guide tent and I have had it for about 12 years now.

huachuca

Adventurer
Another vote for the Assault 4. Mine is an older (seven years) model with the small clear acrylic window in the front vestibule fly. I've heard some owners had a problem with this window cracking and leaking but mine is still solid. Current version does not appear to have this 'feature'. We've been through gale force winds/rain on the Outer Banks and snow in the Smokies with no complaints.

Last edited:

3LBurro

Most durable tent I own is the Hilleberg Nallo 3GT. Its an all season tent that will withstand a very strong wind and can camp in the snow. I pack them with me all the time, along with Hammock. When I'm in the 4runner, I take all 3, RTT, tent and Hammock. If I am motorcycle or bicycle camping, Hilleberg and hammock come. I like options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach