Mounting stuff inside an LR3

draaronr

Adventurer
Yes when i get really hungry i could chuck it at squirrels and rabbits. Looks like a dangerous spot to mount to me. Those little suckers are heavy.

reds12t

Observer
The LR3 has nice, wide map pockets at the bottom of the doors. I keep a folding saw, flashlight, maps, thermos/water, etc in mine. You could mount that life hammer in there. Or on the inside of the center console lid. It is recessed and would likely fit the hammer, the only downside being that it is hidden. Although, I dont really see that as a downside, since it is my opinion that there is no good way to mount an exposed life hammer in a Rover and not have it look ridiculous. If you are going to have that type of tool, the Benchmade 915 Triage knife, or Houdini tool are smaller, have more features, and fit in the little cubby next to the shifter, or anywhere for that matter. Although, if the hammer is skinny enough to go in the tray above the glove box, then it will at least be in an area designed for storage so it won't look so out of place. That will reduce the horrible aesthetic that the life hammer gives when it is mounted on a nice interior panel.

The axe would fit nicely in the footwell for the seventh seats.

The cubby boxes in the rear a quite spacious, perhaps a good place for that fire extinguisher, just need to get a sticker to identify that there is a fire extinguisher in there.

johnsoax

Adventurer
Thanks for the idea of the door pockets, didn't think of those for the lifehammer, will look tomorrow. Currently it is in the upper glove box.

Both of my cubby holes in the back of my LR3 are full of stuff already, so I can't use them for more storage. There is some room in the driver side one, but the only thing I would be comfortable with would be a blanket. The third row HVAC unit is in there. The passenger side is full with the jack and factory tool kit.

Here is how I mounted the fire extinguisher. I lined it up, and using a pencil, marked where the base was. Then I opened the cubby door and moved it so it was easier to work on. Plus if I decide to do something else, I can replace that door for a lot cheaper than other pieces of trim.

LR3 - Extinguisher bracket mounted on the jack pocket door.

Here is what is behind that cubby door, see, no room for anything else back there.

What is in this pocket

Here it is all installed, and with the extinguisher in the bracket.

LR3 - Extinguisher all installed

And here is the other gear I keep in the back. On my Disco I, I kept it on the other side, but with the asymetrical back door, I can't reach stuff if I keep it on the driver side... Can barely reach it where it is.

LR3 - Extinguisher all installed with other gear

I use the 3rd row for my boys regularly, and if I had the axe in the foot well, I would have to move it every time they were riding in the truck... I could do that though. I would just need to figure out a way to keep it from sliding around and ending up under the 2nd row seats...

Here is an idea for the axe. It would be a pain to get out, but I don't need it that often. I would have to climb into the back to actually unhook it. My only other concern is that that trim piece is just a flimsy piece of plastic. I may have to put a metal plate behind it to actually mount into, and the 3rd row HVAC is in the way as well....

It does look pretty good there though.

LR3 - Axe mounting Idea

reds12t

Observer
Both of my cubby holes in the back of my LR3 are full of stuff already, so I can't use them for more storage. There is some room in the driver side one, but the only thing I would be comfortable with would be a blanket. The third row HVAC unit is in there. The passenger side is full with the jack and factory tool kit.

Good point, that area would be difficult to get to the vehicle was loaded, and the upper cubbies may be hard to access with the 3rd row seats up from the rear of the
vehicle. I like your mounting of the fire extinguisher you did. Recessed so it doesn't intrude much, easily accessible with the seats folded or up, and on easily replaceable panel in the event you need to.

If you are using your 3rd row seats often for children, I agree that the footwell isn't a good space for the axe for safety and convenience reasons. The placement you have is ideal, I can't think of another area big or flat enough. I wish the recess on the passenger side trim was larger so an axe could fit in, I haven't really found anything small enough to go in that area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater