MT/R Update-

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I'm glad to hear that the new MT/Rs are decent in the mud. That was something I was always disappointed with.

How decent? Are they directly comparable to say a BFG MT or Truxus? The tread looks nice and aggressive but sometimes that doesn't mean squat in the mud.

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
How decent? Are they directly comparable to say a BFG MT or Truxus? The tread looks nice and aggressive but sometimes that doesn't mean squat in the mud.
I only had a little experience with them in the mud in Cali (It's the friggin desert!), but I was highly impressed.

Nasty, concrete-like crappy mud, and cleared out no problem:

296.jpg

Not just wheelspin related either; they just gripped:

270.jpg

272.jpg

273.jpg

Open front, tires just dragged the truck out. I'm going to reserve total judgement until I can get them on some sloppy PNW trails as the snows thaw, but it's looking good.

-----Matt-----

P.S. That's me driving, so I speak from seat of the pants experience.

2drx4

Adventurer
Why is that hard to believe? The old MT/R is ten years old...a lot of new technology has come out since then.

I have trouble with advertising claims for products. I know a lot has changed since they came out - but the old ones were a pretty good tire in a lot of ways. But I'm always skeptical, sometimes things get overlooked.

Anyways, good to know. I'll seriously consider a set when the time comes. Maybe I should sell my old style MT/Rs before they're considered obsolete like ground hawgs or gumbo mudders....

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
They're custom. There are a lot of options out there for YJ and TJ guys, not sure about JK. You may want to call Gen-Right (they make the best CJ/YJ/TJ tube fenders out there) and see when if they have any JK stuff.

-----Matt-----

jfarsang

Adventurer
I just bought a set of them (kevlar's)

I'm up in Vancouver so we're in the same 'weather' bracket :elkgrin:

How are they in on wet roads ?

Did they really not like compact snow ? Greasy ?

rionorte

Ok, I still don't understand how these tires aren't directional.

You can rotate the new MTR Kevlar from the DS to the PS and the direction of the tread will be the same. The asymmetric tread design is confusing to people.

But if you take a true directional tire like a Yoko Geo MT+ and rotate the DS to the PS, the tread direction will have the DS pointing \/ and the PS /\. Or vice versa.

With directional tires, you can only rotate from front to back to front - to keep both PS and DS tire tread direction either /\ /\ or \/\/.

His driver side tires "V" is currently point downward. If he were to swap that tire to the passenger side the "V" will be pointing upward. That seems directional to me??

I'd like to see a shot of both front or rear tires head on.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I guess what I don't get is the large tread block can be on either side of the centerline of the tire.

Directional tires on high perf cars typically have the large blocks on the outside of the tire so that you get the most rubber to road contact where the weight transfer can make the most use of it.

I dunno. Still looks weird.

John90XJ

Adventurer
Here's a shot from the front.

The treadblocks don't point in the same direction depending on which side they are on, however Goodyear indicates the real point is that the outside of the tire must have the two rows of blocks with the inner having the single row of blocks. The direction they point is apparently not of concern as long as they are oriented correctly. The sidewall does indicate which side is "outboard".

I also think they look a little odd but they work well and I've been very pleased with them.

frontview.jpg

roadkill

Adventurer
you can see the /\ of the center tread going opposite ways. looks to me to be directional, or maybe I'm looking to hard at these.

John90XJ

Adventurer
No one is arguing with your perception, but the term "directional" indicates a particular orientation for use as in left or right side. All Goodyear said is that the two large rows of blocks are to be on the outboard side, in this regard they are not directional tires, they can be used on either side of the vehicle and run through any variety of rotation patterns.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
To hell with the crapyears... any more picts. of the fender mods ???
Did you go from scratch or mod up some for another application ?

Curt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk