MT's vs Duratracs...WOW

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
My st maxx tires had an inherent pull to the right. Since new. I am not the only one who had this issue with them. I rotated etc and it was no better. It caused my Jeep to wander around....ALOT. I was at my wits end chasing front end gremlins thinking it was the problem. I installed my BFG A/T and all of it went away. That being said, the ST maxx wore great, had tons of grip. Maybe on a heavy vehicle they will be better but I don't recommend them for a Jeep sized rig.

My brother has them on a 2 dr JK no issues.....Hilldweller has them on his JKU no issues.....maybe you got a bad set of tires and should have expressed the issue to Cooper.

Robert Bills

Explorer
[B said:
kojackJKU]My st maxx tires had an inherent pull to the right. Since new. I am not the only one who had this issue with them. I rotated etc and it was no better. It caused my Jeep to wander around....ALOT. I was at my wits end chasing front end gremlins thinking it was the problem. I installed my BFG A/T and all of it went away. That being said, the ST maxx wore great, had tons of grip. Maybe on a heavy vehicle they will be better but I don't recommend them for a Jeep sized rig.
My brother has them on a 2 dr JK no issues.....Hilldweller has them on his JKU no issues.....maybe you got a bad set of tires and should have expressed the issue to Cooper.

I have Cooper ST/Maxx tires on my Nissan Xterra and have had no issues with balance or tracking. Since the published curb weight of an Xterra is not that much different than a Jeep JKU Rubicon (4,400 lbs. vs. 4,315 lbs.), and there are many JKU owners who have experienced no problems at all with their ST/Maxx tires, I find no principled basis for a conclusion that the ST/Maxx should be avoided on "Jeep sized rigs."

It is more likely that KojackJKU's issues were related to one or more of his particular tires, his aftermarket wheels, or his jeep, than to any shortcoming or issue with the design of the ST/Maxx.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!

I did express this to my cooper dealer, they told me that there were a few people with this issue and cooper said it was a design issue. I can only do what I can do. They are gone now, My jeep performs much better with the BFGs on. Smoother, handles better, gets better milage, and I go everywhere I did with the coopers. They wore awesome and I had them on for over 80k. So I cannot complain that way. but they were causing handling problems with my jeep. And since I swapped out to the BFG, I know just how much they were affecting everything. Much happier now.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am running on stock wheels. If it were just one tire, after a front rear rotation, it should have lessend, but it never. anyways, I know how my rig drove with them on, and now how it drives with another brand of tire. Night and Day!

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
If you live in an area with frequent ice storms in the winter, they're terrible. Great in snow though. Just something to think about.

I can echo this and even include snow packed roads. The two trucks they were mounted on were 2010, 3/4 Chevrolet crew cab short beds with winch bumpers, Caravan Campers and a light load in the bed comparable to what a lot of forum members carry on a trip. I'm amazed at how well regarded they are after experiencing them for 20-25k miles.

I don't care what they are labeled and sold to the Government as.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
My Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx tires (LT265/75R16) were $160 each. The best price for Duratracs was $225.

Many of us are happy for you that the Coops were at that sweet price. However, that is a very limited view with which to judge the prices across the nation. On TreadDepot.com they are $182 and on TireCrawler.com they are $177 but I imagine shipping costs have to be added in. At Big O Tires in Los Angeles County they are $205 and at the Big O Tires in Redding near you the tires are $224 so if your price is repeatable you should let other NorCal Expo members know where to buy at such low prices.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Many of us are happy for you that the Coops were at that sweet price. However, that is a very limited view with which to judge the prices across the nation. On TreadDepot.com they are $182 and on TireCrawler.com they are $177 but I imagine shipping costs have to be added in. At Big O Tires in Los Angeles County they are $205 and at the Big O Tires in Redding near you the tires are $224 so if your price is repeatable you should let other NorCal Expo members know where to buy at such low prices.

I did post the details of my purchase and how to obtain the price in plenty of time for others in need of tires at the time to take advantage of the sale price. Others posted the details as well. In fact, it was in this very sub-forum.

Its really not that difficult. Discount Tire/America's Tire will price match. All I did was print out a sale price and coupon code from Discount Tire Direct's Ebay page and my local America's Tire matched it with no hassle. The sale price isn't available every day, but the sale is repeated multiple times each year so all one has to do is be diligent in watching online pricing and take action during a promotion.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My Duratracs rule in the snow. Might be a different application (fullsize with cargo), setup, or something else wrong.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I did post the details of my purchase and how to obtain the price in plenty of time for others in need of tires at the time to take advantage of the sale price. Others posted the details as well. In fact, it was in this very sub-forum.

Its really not that difficult. Discount Tire/America's Tire will price match. All I did was print out a sale price and coupon code from Discount Tire Direct's Ebay page and my local America's Tire matched it with no hassle. The sale price isn't available every day, but the sale is repeated multiple times each year so all one has to do is be diligent in watching online pricing and take action during a promotion.

Thanks for providing the details from a different thread. It illustrates that $160 is not a standard price. I only paid $175 total per tire for my Duratracs but such deals are not available on demand so portraying that the Coopers are consistently $65 cheaper than Duratracs was not the whole story.

mattiep11

Adventurer
Give u the rundown and my reviews. All tires used on landscaping trucks 1500, 2500, 3500 silverados, with plows hauling loaded 20' trailers .... (1500)Cooper St 285's "load E"- great tire for everyday beatings.. Snow traction (can be studded)good until it gets icy, got 65k miles out of them.. great in rain no hydro plane. only got buried in the deep snow when the frame got up on a thick snow bank. Drove them on stone roads and don't pic up much rock. sand ok but dig unless u air down. City street drone got loud after 40000 miles but sounded good. Overall I would buy them in heart beat any day. Moab, telluride, and Toledo and several cross country trips with them.. Heavy but not to heavy..Lost 1-2mpgs overall. (2500) Goodyear Duratracs 285's "load E" 2nd set get about 45k out of them... City street drone gets loud at 30-50mph. wet weather watch out for the tar on the streets it will slide and u won't stop. Snow traction great, rips the mud up just as well, never been stuck hit the hammer and they dig. sand they dig quick so air down. side lugs help dig as well. pulled out a couple huge screws and no punctures strong sidewalls. very heavy tire , about 3-4mpgs lost. (1500) Pro comp xtm "load e" 285's used primarily out in Colorado./ moab.. Great snow tire, suck when it gets icy. No hydroplane, great over washboard just hit the pedal and go. rock crawling they r super sticky when aired down, got buried plenty of times 600" snow year. Road noise not to loud 30-50mphs, heavy tire lost 3-4mpgs 40k on them . (3500) "load e" 265's Michelin at2 throw every little rock or pebble imaginable at your rig. great handling in rain and sand, not for gravel roads at all. not the best in any type of mud they get slick. Snow traction is totally laughable...(they say they tested these things and got good reviews and whatever else... get the chains or the studs cuz these suck worse than race slicks.i've had to use 4x just to get up a slight incline on paved roads in telluride ...no noise very smooth ride. drive all the mtn passes with them and had a few hunks out of the sidewalls..(imogene, ophir, the forks,alpine loop,etc.. great gas mpgs no other complaints but definitely not like the other tires above... WILL NOT BUY AGAIN.. came with the new truck

TiFJ

Observer
I can echo this and even include snow packed roads. The two trucks they were mounted on were 2010, 3/4 Chevrolet crew cab short beds with winch bumpers, Caravan Campers and a light load in the bed comparable to what a lot of forum members carry on a trip. I'm amazed at how well regarded they are after experiencing them for 20-25k miles.

I don't care what they are labeled and sold to the Government as.

Duratracs transformed my FJ on snowy / icey roads compared to the Nokian MTs I had on before. Night and day. There were literally hills that I could not stop on when the Mts were installed... I slid all the way to the bottom. The Duratracs aren't perfect and they're definitely not as good as dedicated winter tires but in my experience they perform really well on slippery roads. I plan to stud the next set I get and will gauge the improvement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal