My 1991 Suburban V2500 Build (ideas welcome)

asmith

Observer
I purchased this Suburban from Craigslist. First thing I do when i get a new vehicle is start browsing the forums for ideas. Wow was I impressed on the fan base of this vehicle.

This is how I brought her home. Some how i made if from Riverside to Fort Irwin with really bad tires (one popped as i pulled in the drive way!:Wow1:)
395.jpg

First order of business . . . new tires. Bought these for 200 bucks
044.jpg

Started going through the truck doing the normal maintenance oil, spark plugs, cap and rotor. Scrubbed the interior and also purchased weatherstripping for all the doors (needed that before i washed the outside).
Also pulled the headliner to fix the sagging. Seeing if i can save it, don't really want to order a new one.
039.jpg040.jpg
Pulled the front seats and console to really get her clean.
043.jpg

So my plan is make it a travel/expedition capable vehicle.
4in lift normal ORD stuff. (which front springs are best)
Hydro boost
14 BFF
8.1L swap (lots of ?s)

Sorry for the long post. Been browsing for a while and have a bunch of questions :sombrero:

Thanks Andrew

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

warwgn

Explorer
With a suburban I vote 6" lift to give more clearance in the center and compensate for the long wheelbase.

FJRanger

I like getting lost...
Cool, I love these vehicles and while I'm and landcruiser fan I keep finding myself looking at the pre 1993 2500s for a Cummins or 6.5 swap.

Kaisen

Explorer
Rethink the 8.1L swap..... If you're going that new, do a 6.0L. But you might just want to do a 454 with the TBI (from a 1988 to 1995 C/K)
The 8.1L is a big heavy motor that isn't necessarily outperformed by the lighter, newer, less esoteric 6.0L

asmith

Observer
Thanks for everyone's replies. Just went and picked up new rotors pads and calipers for White Dragon :ylsmoke:. Thought i give EBC yellows' a try. I've had good luck on green stuff for cars. So we'll see.
@ warwgn as far as the lift i think i will go with the 4" so its not to difficult for the wife and baby to get in.
Most likely the swap will depend a lot on what motor I find.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Nice burb. What drivetrain does it currently have? 350/700r4/np208? 4" lift will be plenty just keep a skid plate on the t-case or get a np205. 52" spring swap in the front with ford shock towers seems to get a lot of love, if you want to just bolt in some springs call ORD and they will hook you up they have a lot of experience and happy customers. Hyrobrake booster is the way to go, any gmc booster should fit and your master should bolt right up to it. For a 8.1 or other big motor swap you should look at getting a one ton axle under the front too. 60 front and 14bolt ff or a dana 60-70 for the rear. Cross over steering is a good idea too since you are going up 4" and will have room for it.

cop car

Observer
you lucky bastard. 1991 is the only hear for the 4L80 in those. i had to settle for a 1988.

do bumpers, rock sliders, 4 inch lift, up to 37s and youll be golden. i have 315/70/17s off a H2 on mine currently, with 4in of lift it would be outstanding, very capable yet not lose on road manners.

imo people trade marginal offroad capablity upgrades for a lot of highway driveablity. expecially in an expo vehicle you are going to be on roads and dirt trails the most, for lots of miles. so keeping on road driveablity and comfort is important.

txfactor76

Observer
I wouldn't do anything to the drivetrain. That's a pretty stout setup as it is, and you should be able to find parts on shelves around the world. Seriously.

Just a couple bolt-ons will really wake up that tired 350. Think Vortec heads/intake, mild cam, headers and it'll be an easy 400hp.

May I ask why you want to swap to the full-float 14-bolt? Also, I would try to avoid 37s if you're going to keep the front 10-bolt and plan to do some mild wheeling. The 4in lift and 35s would be a great combo; maybe just add a Detroit locker to the rear.

asmith

Observer
Just some small stuff to post. First I installed a new head unit and front speakers because there was none
013.jpg003.jpg
Rotors and calipers will be tomorrow.

On a sad note i don't thing the previous owner knew how to take out the front speakers or something. :(
004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg

@BBslider Mine wasn't too bad, but previous owner used the truck as storage. Plus it gives her that newish feel :smiley_drive:

@ cop car I originally was looking for H2 takeoffs but no luck . . .

@ txfactor I may end up keeping the 350 for awhile just passed smog, but it does feel a little tired (172xxx on the clock).
As far as the full float from what I've read hear its the way to go for durability. First truck for me, so learning as I go.

Last edited:

asmith

Observer
Got the interior put back together. So i figured i would take the truck out and go shooting :ar15:
001.jpg005.jpg

Not much flex but that will change
002.jpg003.jpg

Good times
006.jpg

Erik N

Adventurer
Leave it stock. It really is capable enough as is. Lift kits scream insecurity IMO. Pics of my '88 and '96 2500's.P1020674.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0241.JPG
    DSCN0241.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 49

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven