My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

Leland

This is a really cool build. I have a 2001 Pathfinder also. It is my daily drive and I have been working out an idea for a platform/cargo storage setup. This looks like what I have been trying to get on paper. I think it is great. I really like it when you covered it with carpet.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Leland, thanks for the kind words and welcome to ExPo.

I'm glad you liked the storage idea but there's a whole section of the forum dedicated to storage solutions with some amazing work that others have done on various trucks, check it out. Mine was just thought up and built on the fly as a quick and dirty solution to my particular needs and pales in comparison. Goodluck.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Pharcyde, thanks and welcome to ExPo.

Kevin, you're absolutely right about the storage box and I really struggled with the decision when I bought the safari rack. I chose the safari rack mainly for the 'expedition-truck look' - plain and simple I won't even bother covering it up :) However, in order to justify it my reasonings were "well I can always put a storage box on the safari rack if I really need to", "IF I decide I can mount a hi-lift, shovel, gas tanks, off-road lights etc to the safari rack", "it's really like a pickup bed only higher so you can carry variety of things up there if needed", "I can buy those soft sided cargo carriers for the top" etc etc. Now if I had a sporty hatchback a Thule/Yakima sky box would be my first choice for that application. Like you said when it comes to the functionality of the storage boxes they can't be beat...and not to mention their aerodynamic design that helps the gas mileage vs. a rack.

BTW I LOVE that Mojave picture! got any more?

Last edited:

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Great build dude. Love the lines of the older pathfinders. I really like the storage set-up. Can't wait to see what's next.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks WKexpedition.

So I got a couple of PMs on the storage platform and thought I'd share what it can store in each of the cubby's and what I typically store.

From the left cubby to right:
- Off the shelf First Aid kit and bungee net for the roof rack
- Kinetic strap, tow strap, a vintage toolbox that my daughter found me at a neighbor's garage-sale which we cleaned up and repainted
- Inexpensive Allied automotive toolkit. I really like the selection of tools in this handy kit- the quality of tools? not so much but hey for a trunk kit it works.
- Fiskar's axe and a Cold Steel special forces shovel with a razor sharp blade
Depth wise there's still plenty of room to spare in each cubby for things like D-rings, flip-flops/sneakers, ratchet straps, tarp, jumper cables etc.

IMG_1413Custom.jpg

Last edited:

Allof75

Pathfinder
Very nice Pathfinder RussellH!

Great to see another R50 on here, and better yet one in my neck of the woods!

What kind of MPG do you typically get around town? Any difference from the hubs or rack?

Regards,
Allof75

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Hey Allof75, thanks and if you're in OC you're more than welcome to come see it in person.

MPG wise, on my last tank I got 13.8MPG with 91 octane- it was all short distance city-driving. While I'm not ecstatic I find it reasonable given I have much heavier tires, a lift and a roof-rack. Without the manual-hubs I would expect 1-2MPG less. Fuelly.com shows 16MPG avg for these trucks.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I got a set of Hella 500FF fog lights :ylsmoke:

IMG_1415Custom.jpg

I got the fog lights vs. the driving lights because I wanted a wider (but shorter) beam to have a better view and not to mention driving in dense fog these should help more than the driving lights(?). Surprisingly the light 'kit' doesn't come with any brackets or clamps to mount them so went to Home Depot and got a couple of electrical conduit clamps for the job- they worked. Now I hate to admit this but I spent close to 6hrs trying to find the best location for them on the roof rack. I tried them in the corners, then closer together, then further apart, then with the grill-covers instead of the white ones they came with.

IMG_1420Custom.jpg

IMG_1427Custom.jpg

It still looks a bit incomplete to me so I was thinking of adding two more lights but I think four will be a bit too much? I really don't want it start looking gaudy and over the top. The gf thinks I just need to get used to them like the roof rack- what do you guys think?

I still have no clue yet how I'm going to run the wires from the roof to the engine compartment without drilling holes in the roof. I'd also like to find an inexpensive light for the rear, it'll be handy when setting up camp in the dark.

Allof75

Pathfinder
"Hey Allof75, thanks and if you're in OC you're more than welcome to come see it in person.

MPG wise, on my last tank I got 13.8MPG with 91 octane- it was all short distance city-driving. While I'm not ecstatic I find it reasonable given I have much heavier tires, a lift and a roof-rack. Without the manual-hubs I would expect 1-2MPG less. Fuelly.com shows 16MPG avg for these trucks."

Certainly! I'm right in the heart of suburban OC.

On my last tank I got 12.3mpg, hopefully the new synthetic oil, k&n filter, and judicious throttle use will improve that. I was curious to see your result, considering you probably drive the same conditions as I do.

I may need to pick up a pair of those manual hubs, and I know just the person to PM with questions!
Again, very nice Pathy, I'm interested in how it ends up!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Took the Pathy out for some wheel'n. After all the recent work put into it I was very curious to see how it does especially in the company of the big boys.

IMG_2267Small_zps216e4c59.jpg

IMG_2270Small_zps0a1a4e76.jpg

IMG_2277Small_zpsb2345120.jpg

Next two photos by Cris
file_zps709d9c9e.jpg

file_zpsad0e7cf9.jpg

At one point we tipped the inclinometer to 30degs for a few long secs but couldn't get a pic.

IMG_2352Small_zps7121a8bc.jpg

IMG_2347Small_zpsc22ba899.jpg

Well, I have to say...it exceeded my expectations. I can honestly say the truck is more capable than my skills. It also cleans up nicely and capable of being a dual purpose truck. Other than some underbody protection I can't think of anything else it needs for the type of driving I like to do.

IMG_1453Small_zps47dd35a6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach