My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

Allof75

Pathfinder
Nice mod! I like the integration into the storage area, and for such a simple change it makes camping so much nicer.

And as for the figure peering in, I definitely realized that I need some darker tinting after spending a couple nights in there, it's partly the privacy issue as well as the sunrise being so bright.

Looks great as always!

kjp1969

Explorer
30A68F4B-EB0E-43B7-BD05-974B71906888-428-000000728A0186C3_zps715a3b2d.jpg

Consider a couple of brackets on that panel for table legs- it could do triple duty as a load floor, sleeping platform and camp table.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Looking good as always sir

Thank you sir! good to see you here on ExPo!

Nice mod! I like the integration into the storage area, and for such a simple change it makes camping so much nicer.

And as for the figure peering in, I definitely realized that I need some darker tinting after spending a couple nights in there, it's partly the privacy issue as well as the sunrise being so bright.

Looks great as always!

Yeah I'll be armed with my 9 so I'm not too worried- my 9 iron club that is :coffeedrink:

Consider a couple of brackets on that panel for table legs- it could do triple duty as a load floor, sleeping platform and camp table.

That's a great idea, I like multi-purpose stuff. But not clear what you mean- like to make two individual legs one in each corner where the panel sits up against the front seat? If I were to remove it from the truck to use as a table I'd need 4 legs though and possibly taller than 2ft.

XPLORx4

Adventurer
I think what he was suggesting was to integrate some kind of brackets on the bottom of the platform so that you could remove it from the truck, and attach some legs (stored separately) to it so that you could use it as a table when it's not a sleeping platform. Obviously the downside to the multi-purpose function of it is that you'd have to pack up your dining/kitchen table to sleep on it, and vice-versa.

kjp1969

Explorer
I think what he was suggesting was to integrate some kind of brackets on the bottom of the platform so that you could remove it from the truck, and attach some legs (stored separately) to it so that you could use it as a table when it's not a sleeping platform. Obviously the downside to the multi-purpose function of it is that you'd have to pack up your dining/kitchen table to sleep on it, and vice-versa.

That's what I mean. I've been thinking on something like that for myself recently also, but just a load floor that slides out for table duty. I don't really like sleeping in the car.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Ah gotcha! thanks.

I use a Roll-A-Table that works quite nicely and packs small. Though having a second one wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing at all.

I've never slept inside a car before so I can't say but I'm hoping this is way less work than setting up and tearing the tent down. Remember, on our Mojave trip Daniel slept in the back of his Tundra and was out walking around chatting with a coffee mug in his hands while we were hurrying up and trying to stuff the sleeping bags in their always-two-sizes-too-small compression sacks. We'll see how this works out. The one thing I need to figure out is how to lash and secure stuff in the truck as all of a sudden the inside of the truck is like an empty room. I like things strapped down so they don't become projectiles should an accident happens.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Ah gotcha! thanks.

I use a Roll-A-Table that works quite nicely and packs small. Though having a second one wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing at all.

I've never slept inside a car before so I can't say but I'm hoping this is way less work than setting up and tearing the tent down. Remember, on our Mojave trip Daniel slept in the back of his Tundra and was out walking around chatting with a coffee mug in his hands while we were hurrying up and trying to stuff the sleeping bags in their always-two-sizes-too-small compression sacks. We'll see how this works out. The one thing I need to figure out is how to lash and secure stuff in the truck as all of a sudden the inside of the truck is like an empty room. I like things strapped down so they don't become projectiles should an accident happens.

I didn't strap down my sleeping bag when I was out in Anza, but maybe if you're one of those guys who puts rocks from the fire in their sleeping bag, it might be a good idea. You could always just put your backpack or whatever you're keeping your clothes in on top and it shouldn't move too much, that is unless you're planning on registering that pathy with the FAA and really testing that OME suspension. :)

XPLORx4

Adventurer
Why is it important to travel with your sleeping area already set up?

When I go on camping trips where I sleep in the Pathy, I always pack everything except my fridge behind the rear seats, and only fold the rear seatbacks down after unpacking and setting up to sleep. At that point, I usually toss stuff that needs to stay dry/clean in the front seats or on the roof, and I leave other items (camp table, chairs, cooking supplies, etc.) outside.

The main benefit of using the Pathy as your "tent" is that you don't actually have to set up or tear down an actual tent. You do, however, have to pack. And if you're sluggish about packing up, just secure the heavy stuff in the back, put the rear seats up, and leave your sleeping bag, pillow, and other soft stuff loose in the rear seat.

kjp1969

Explorer
And you have to level the car somewhat- not always and issue, but sometimes it is. I've been with people who have to spend more time leveling their truck (for the rooftop tent) than I've spent setting up the tent. Plus, you have to sleep where your truck is. And for some reason, I always get colder in the truck than in a tent. Wind isn't as much of an issue in the truck, but my tent does pretty well in the wind and I can put it behind the truck or a tree or rock for more protection.

I like a tent, a cot, a sleeping pad and then my sleeping bag. And a real pillow. And maybe a blankie and a bedtime story. I'm either getting old or very young again, but really there isn't much difference.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I'm back from my little expedition. The sleeping platform worked out great and allowed me to easily move my 'camp' to whereever my heart desired which allowed me to stay at a beautiful spot by the Colorado river. The others had to return to their base camps.

IMG_2342_zps722240a7.jpg

The Pathy did great offroading, the disconnected sway bars gave it noticeably improved traction offroad and smoothed out the ride both on and off highway. Unfortunately I couldn't take pics of any of the 'fun' obstacles we encountered. The air-compressor under the hood worked well too, the only issue I had was connecting the hose because with the bigger battery it won't easily fit. The coil hose also got kinked at one point which took me a few mins to find because as soon as I'd connect the hose to farthest tire the compressor would bog down but as soon as I disconnected it from the tire it would be back to normal...that was a head scratching moment until I realized the hose was getting kinked near the compressor- doh!

18741763-aa86-405d-ab7d-af91b0fb9edf_zps6d445c3f.jpg

Here're some more pics (and the story about me rescuing a 2wd Frontier on the way):

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ho-Peak-amp-Indian-Pass?p=1282773#post1282773

Last edited:

Allof75

Pathfinder
Looks like an awesome trip! Good to hear your other equipment worked out too, the weather out there must have been absolutely perfect! :sombrero: It was your front swaybar that you disconnected, correct?

stioc

Expedition Leader
And you have to level the car somewhat- not always and issue, but sometimes it is. I've been with people who have to spend more time leveling their truck (for the rooftop tent) than I've spent setting up the tent. Plus, you have to sleep where your truck is. And for some reason, I always get colder in the truck than in a tent. Wind isn't as much of an issue in the truck, but my tent does pretty well in the wind and I can put it behind the truck or a tree or rock for more protection.

I like a tent, a cot, a sleeping pad and then my sleeping bag. And a real pillow. And maybe a blankie and a bedtime story. I'm either getting old or very young again, but really there isn't much difference.

You're right, Sat night it got down to 30degs and I was freezing, the truck inside felt cold. On the plus side, I didn't need to use my ear plugs, it's much quieter inside.

Funny about the blankie and a bedtime story lol - How was your trip to Joshua Tree?

Why is it important to travel with your sleeping area already set up?

When I go on camping trips where I sleep in the Pathy, I always pack everything except my fridge behind the rear seats, and only fold the rear seatbacks down after unpacking and setting up to sleep. At that point, I usually toss stuff that needs to stay dry/clean in the front seats or on the roof, and I leave other items (camp table, chairs, cooking supplies, etc.) outside.

The main benefit of using the Pathy as your "tent" is that you don't actually have to set up or tear down an actual tent. You do, however, have to pack. And if you're sluggish about packing up, just secure the heavy stuff in the back, put the rear seats up, and leave your sleeping bag, pillow, and other soft stuff loose in the rear seat.

The lighter stuff like the sleeping bag and pads etc was not a problem, I set them up and just wrapped a bungee around them and they stayed put. I was talking about the bigger heavier stuff that could hurt in case of an accident, things like the propane heater, the kitchen box, the water container, the Pett Toilet etc. In the end I got them all strapped down using the cargo hooks I have on my storage platform.

Now, if I could grumble about one thing (yet again) it would be the lack of ground clearance. I know many people might say ground clearance is overrated with better tire placement but there was a section where the boulders were sticking out of the ground with no way to avoid them (narrow trail with a steep drop off) and I had to bulldoze a few of them flat with my Pathy. Or when the tire slipped off and smacked the rock. I want another 1-2" lift and 33ish tires (on the downside tires that big will not only affect the gas mileage but I may even start breaking CVs etc).

There was another section that I or the ZJ didn't even attempt due to the very obvious need for ground clearance. The Power Wagon with 33"s was able to make it but with lots of care. For the FJ60 we had to fill the wash with a few extra rocks/boulders to keep it from tipping over. I was still impressed with it how it climbed through what I'd consider a 7 rating area without lockers. What it had though was solid axles on both ends that flexed really well.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Looks like an awesome trip! Good to hear your other equipment worked out too, the weather out there must have been absolutely perfect! :sombrero: It was your front swaybar that you disconnected, correct?

I disconnected both sway bars, the rear bar removal isn't as noticeable in the turns as the front bar though.

stioc

Expedition Leader
A few more pics from the trip:

2013-02-16_12-38-29_833_zpsa9279ce8.jpg

2013-02-16_15-05-30_125_zps7f53dbcb.jpg

This steep climb gave me a bit of trouble, this angle from below gives it a closer-to-reality depth:
2013-02-16_12-03-43_328_zps5bf20289.jpg

My turn, I tried 2 different lines first before the third one worked (still need to run the lines for the air locker):
2013-02-16_12-04-51_218_zps801d3e78.jpg

2013-02-16_12-05-23_429_zpsd9453b83.jpg

Nice rear axle flex, the other side was in a rut- not sure if this would've been possible with wider/taller 33" tires, maybe 32s?

2013-02-16_12-04-22_690_zps2273d0ac1_zps120693d1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy