My 2013 Unlimited Rubicon

Ausjeeper

Observer
I would forgo the rigids and put a set of truck lites in the main headlight spot, and then mount some HID driving lights on your bumper.

I do like the Trucklites, but thought the duallys would give me more light. What's your thoughts on this?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I just think that rigids are way over priced for what you get. I have truck lite head lights for the everyday lighting, and I have a set of hella 500s with 55w HIDs, I get more light than a 50" rigid light bar. You will get people saying my lights are junk, etc, but they cut a big jesus hole in the night!

Ausjeeper

Observer
I just think that rigids are way over priced for what you get. I have truck lite head lights for the everyday lighting, and I have a set of hella 500s with 55w HIDs, I get more light than a 50" rigid light bar. You will get people saying my lights are junk, etc, but they cut a big jesus hole in the night!

Thanks.

I don't do much night driving at all, so am struggling to convince myself to spend too much on the extra lighting. I had looked at a set of Hellas.

JeepinJon

Observer

I woudl agree that for the money Rigids don't give you the bang for the buck. I prefer Baja Designs LED lights because they use a higher watt LED (5 or 10 watt versions) compared to the Rigid 3 watt LED lights. You get more lumens with less LEDs this route, and you also get more throw from a higher wattage LED (as long as the reflectors/parabolas are correctly engineered).

The other big problem with Rigid is that their heat sinks are designed for looks, not optimal cooling performance. On an LED this is a big deal since heat will destroy an LED.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
What lights do the non-US spec JKs come with? I'm curious to see.

From Sweden

looks like this on my former 2012 Sahara

147016749.jpg

We also have this switch to level the light so we dont blind people when we have a trailer or other heavy stuff in the back.

147168011.jpg

Some say that Australia have bigger callipers (brakes) than others on there Jeeps. We dont have that in Sweden

kojackJKU

I woudl agree that for the money Rigids don't give you the bang for the buck. I prefer Baja Designs LED lights because they use a higher watt LED (5 or 10 watt versions) compared to the Rigid 3 watt LED lights. You get more lumens with less LEDs this route, and you also get more throw from a higher wattage LED (as long as the reflectors/parabolas are correctly engineered).

The other big problem with Rigid is that their heat sinks are designed for looks, not optimal cooling performance. On an LED this is a big deal since heat will destroy an LED.

Are you using a bd led setup now? how far down the road do you illuminate?

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer

I used a Superchips Flascal to enable the fog lights to stay on with high beam, which improved the light a little.

I'm currently looking at a set of Rigid Industries D2 Duallies to improve night driving.

Hi

As You can se in my bad movie I can use the foglights with high beam, thats default in Sweden.

I have the Dually D2 and today I might look for cheaper ones from china or so.

Anyway it was very easy to install and the harness and switch and bracket was sold in a packet.

Dually D2 and foglights and with high beam. In Swedish -english:chef:

Ausjeeper

Observer
Thanks Jon that's great info. As I said earlier, I havent decided which way to go with the light upgrade, so all this advice is appreciated.

Ausjeeper

Observer
Hi

As You can se in my bad movie I can use the foglights with high beam, thats default in Sweden.

I have the Dually D2 and today I might look for cheaper ones from china or so.

Anyway it was very easy to install and the harness and switch and bracket was sold in a packet.

Dually D2 and foglights and with high beam. In Swedish -english:chef:

Those videos were exactly what I wanted to see, and showed the difference with the different lights well. Thank you.

Ausjeeper

Observer
Winch Gear

In the AEV Premium bar I fitted an old Warn M8000 winch. I bought this winch secondhand, and it was in a rundown condition as you can see. I've since contacted Warn Customer service to get a bit of history on it, as I couldn't find the serial number listed on the net anywhere, and I've been told it would be an early 1980's model.

WinchStripDown004640x480.jpg

I stripped it completely down, gave it a full service and a paint job, and it came up looking like new.

FinishedWinch006640x480.jpg

I ran this winch on my Nissan Patrol for about three years, and when I sold that vehicle decided to take it off to put on my new Jeep.

WinchComplete023_zpsb64afc2f.jpg

Most problems with winches seam to stemmed back to the solenoids playing up, so I got rid of the standard Warn winch solenoid pack, and bought an Albright solenoid, which is not only much more compact, but also much less complex in its operation.

I fabricated a small bracket for the solenoid so that it could be mounted on the firewall, well away from the weather/water.

WinchComplete002_zpsafaebef6.jpg

I also fitted a standard trailer plug to the winch controller and mounted the socket for this out of the way on the bar.

Winchwiring011_zpsaa949252.jpg

Next was to fit a Rugged Ridge a-pillar switch pod for the incab winch control switches, which was fitted with some custom printed switches for the sideways mount.

IMG_7906-2_zpse3d8df6b.jpg

IMG_7907-2_zpsd50738db.jpg

The winch isolator not only isolates the incab controls, but also the bullbar mounted handcontroller plug as well.

I gave this winch a good test out a few times when it was fitted to my Nissan, and it never failed to get me out of trouble. Since having it on the Jeep, I've only had to use it to pull another vehicle out of trouble. It's a good solid old winch, and just goes to show that if you look after your winch, it'll look after you.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

This shot is a set of Hella 500s converted to HID, you can see that you can see A LONG WAY up the road...and the spread is more than enough. these are not my photos but are of the same lights with 55w HID kits installed.

31385d1302041590-diy-hella-500-700ff-hid-conversion-hid-2.jpg

This is another shot of a set of converted 700 FFs again, LOTS OF LIGHT down the road where it's needed. Again, not my photos, but the same setup again.

Hella700ff.jpg

This setup mops the floor with LED for long distance lighting. led is fine for tight trails, and perimeter lighting...but if you use your lighting to spot huge moose and such on the highways at night like me, this HID setup is far superior than anything else out there.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Oh, I have to take my slr out and get some photos of my acutal lights. Just that when I drive in the night, I am usually driving for 6 hrs and have no desire to stop to snap some shots...ha ha.

JeepinJon

Observer
Are you using a bd led setup now? how far down the road do you illuminate?

I have been using a 20" bar on the front for a while and I can see things clearly 600+ feet down the road on full power, but usually in slower speed off-road situations I run the lights at 1/2 power otherwise hitting bumps the glare back from the trail can be a bit much. I can see signs reflecting back at 1,000+ feet at full power.

I am switching to either the OnX or the Squadron XL just to get a few more options on lighting (brighter, more distance, more beam pattern options).

There are lights that will put more light further down the road, but in a Jeep I will never outrun a good LED light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater