My 99' XJ

jacobfreeman

Observer
Well I just sold my old XJ just a little over a year ago and now I'm back in another. I couldn't shake this bug.

Specs:
1999 white XJ
HO D30/8.25
137k miles
Has some beauty marks but nothing serious
Completely stock and looks to have never been off-road

Future plans:
Maintenance work(replace fluids, new motor mount, etc.)
OME 2-2.5" heavy load lift
30x9.5x15 flavor tire
New wheels of some sort
Front and rear bumpers with swing away
Roof rack
CB
Repaint the faded fenders and bumper end caps
Possibly 1/2" tc drop

This is just going to be my daily driver and weekend camping rig.
I'm building it for comfort because it will honestly see more on road then off-road. But if and when I get a chance to go exploring then i'll be ready.

aefd5986-2e0f-ddaf.jpg

aefd5986-2dfb-8f96.jpg

jacobfreeman

Observer
Alright well I have a few questions..

1.) Should I just go ahead and buy the full lift kit with full leaf pack and everything from OME or piece together a lift from various companies.. I'm trying to get the most comfortable ride as possible.

2.) I got a couple of infamous death wobble experiences when I bought the Jeep a couple of days ago.

It has no lift and to my acknowledge it has had the trac bar replaced on it before I purchased it.

What do you guys suggest that I look at to fix it? Or as far as upgrades so it doesn't happen again.

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
I would check to make sure everything is tight but I would really make sure you look over upper and lower control arm bushings. Also make sure track bar and drag link don't have play in them. I would also make sure wheels and tires are balanced and also look over your wheels to make sure they are not bent.

I had the same issue with my Stock Grand Cherokee and it drove me so crazy so I sold it. Now I have my Cherokee and it's lifted and never had a shake in it at all.

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
I have been so tempted myself to sell my 91 for a 98 or 99 something with cup holders and some added safety... Plus it would be amazing to have Keyless entry and an updated interior.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
2.) I got a couple of infamous death wobble experiences when I bought the Jeep a couple of days ago.

Always think of the simplest things first, a lot of people make death wobble more complicated than it really is. When mine had it I also had a weird wear pattern on the outside edge of my front tires, so I used that as an excuse to get new tires and an alignment (of course) and zam! No more death wobble.

Frank

Explorer
I had the same thing. Crappy 3rd party tires is what caused my DW. Also, the trac bar must be super tight...beyond thought tight which also will take care of the death wobble. lol

My build is identical to yours. I am installing a 2.5" HD OME suspension, 30x9.5 yoki geolander AT-S tires and a winch/small bumper on the front to support it.
I am going to build a drawer system in the rear and hope that will store my gear. If not, I will look into a roof rack solution.

I don't want a rock crawling, huge jeep with massive tires...rather something to get me from point a to point b, 2 track and camp with my family.

If you can swing it, buying a complete OME lift is the way to go. Its somewhat rare to find people selling pieces of OME gear (at least that is my findings)

If you cant afford a OME kit, buying a lift and adding quality shocks will also help you with your goal.

-and FWIW, I love those rally style wheels. Those would look sweet cleaned up with a nice tire! It would make your Jeep look like the way it should have from the Jeep assembly line!

Last edited:

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
I had death wobble with perfectly wearing BFG AT KO's
But yes start with all the simple things but bushings play a big part due to how it connects the axle to the frame and the steering.

jacobfreeman

Observer
I've gotten my DW situation taken care of.. Got the front end aligned and rotated the tires. No more problems at all..

Now just got all of my packaging from my CB setup and new 48" Hi-Lift Jack in.

Does this checklist look alright to everyone else? First time installing a CB and not really knowing about how going to set it up..

FireStik MK-204R Adjustable "SS" Door Jamb Antenna Mount Mini-Kit
FIRESTIK 3 Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring SS-3H
Roadpro 12V Fused Replacement Cigarette Lighter Plug with Leads Roadpro 12V Fused Replacement Cigarette Lighter Plug with Leads(wasn't sure if needed but was cheap)
Midland 1001LWX 40 Channel Mobile CB with ANL, RF Gain, PA, and Weather Scan
Firestik FS-4BK 4 Firestick Ii Tunable Tip Black

Till next time. :ylsmoke:

Frank

Explorer
IMO that will be great for trail riding. If you want to talk distance, I would hard wire that radio in, have it peak and tuned and have your antenna tuned with a SWR meter. That midland radio is great, I had one.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
You could also PM Expo member FLYFISHEXPERT and ask him for some inspirational pics of his in-dash 2m ham radio. Its in a Toyota but you can probably make it fit in an XJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater