My classic full sized build.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I've lurked on this site for quite a while, just never posted.

Not new to the off-road world at all. Got into it taking 5,000 mile "camping trips" with my dad in a CJ7 25 years ago:Wow1:

Have a couple of notable 4x4 projects and thought I would share one here as my first post.

I wanted to build a project with a purpose. Something that might benefit the 4x4 community. So this I bought an old Chevy truck with the plans of making it into a dedicated "Clean Up" truck. (I never have enough room in my Jeep to haul much trash). While I want the truck to be good for hauling trash, I also want it to send a message that we are not just out there tearing up trails. I want people to know that people and companies care enough about the sport to build trucks specifically to clean up and maintain our trails.

I have a whole plan for the trucks build up and then how I am going to show it to get the message out. I am still open to ideas and still have a lot to do.

I have been a bit slow building the project. Mainly becasue it is only me working on it.

Here are a couple of pictures. It is still very rough and needs lots of work. Just thought I would share. There is the whole story and more info and LOTS of pictures on this thread on Colorado4x4.org too. Trail Clean up Truck

l_5b0a60a92a17bb67a336025a82f56381.jpg

Not me in the picture.

f265d16efeb0.jpg

This is a long way from being complete.

At this point the truck is a 74/82/87 ish 4" lift, 37s on Allied beadlocks, 454, 4 wheel disc etc etc. Lots more work to do.

I would like to thank the following companies for caring enough about the message and helping me out with this to this point. (Holley,Weiand, Flowtech, Allied Racing, Superlift, KC Highlights, Bushwhacker, Tuffy, Hobart, Prothane, DIY4x4.com, Painless wiring, RAAMaudio, Nordskog, Amsoil,Ramsey winch, Bulldog winches, Winchline.com, )

bucketosudz

Explorer
Cole, you are a part of a very good thing. I just finished your whole thread on your build, you are oh so close:) . I only wished folks like yourself were closer to my home, I love good purpose builds. I spent countless hours doing the same thing to our Search and Rescue suburban in my home town in the early 90's. Keep us informed on your needs.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
this is a good cause. he also takes product donations guys *hint hint, wink wink* (ive donated amsoil to him).

Cole

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys.

For some reason I am not getting my email notifications so bear with me here.

After we started the "recycling" of the truck someone made the suggestion of a "dedicated clean up trailer":bowdown: Which I really think would have been much easier....DOH!

I think the "Concept" of the truck has already done some good. It has made people think, and some have modified the concept into "clean up trailers" that they can hual with them to a trail head, leave there and haul home with some trash etc. It is something that they can all share in a club much easier than the truck itself.

I REALLY need to get the truck out and seen this year as much as possible.

I have a TON of work left to do to it and feel bad with it just hiding away in my garage at the moment. It needs to be seen to drive it's message out there. My plans are to have some version of this on the truck

This truck was recycled from scrap by people and companies that care about our trails and keeping them clean and open for all generations to enjoy. Recycled to be used for trail clean up and maintance.

WARPATH4x4 donated some oil to me last year and honestly it made me smile more than any of the bigger companies that have helped. He dug into his own pockets to help and it really made a difference. As a matter of fact....I need some oil so I think I may buy some from him when I need it. :bowdown:

There have been several companies that have helped with parts for the truck and several individuals locally that have helped wrench on it from time to time. Mostly it is just me though. I am not an expert in all things automotive and I also own my own business. So finding time to work on it has been a challenge. I hope to get more done soon.

I am always open to suggestions as this really is a community project.

Cole

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
whenever you need more oil just let me know, ill hook you up on a good price. and i got my paypal fixed so i can sell that way now also.

Beachboyy

Adventurer
Love the idea. Sounds like a concept that could go a long way. Keep it up and I will be following along.

Cole

Expedition Leader
My computer was stuck doing some updates and I was near the truck with a camera.

I have been trying to get motivated to do some more work on it. So going out and snapping some pictures may help. :shrug:

These should give you an idea what I still have to do....a small idea.

I want to swap out to the 91 style grill. I have a radiator support, just need the headlights and grill pieces. Also need to build a winch mount for the front, bumper etc for the Ramsey 15K winch with Winchline.com rope on it. Also have 4 KC highlights that need to go up front.

3344687773_5864b4c8c1_b.jpg

I need some rocker protection with a step, needs to be easy to step up and toss stuff over the bedside right in front of the tire.

Also need a rear bumper. Need to build a rack in the bed to hold shovels, rakes, buckets, 2 more KC lights and a BullDog 10k winch with Winchline.com rope.....and cut out the fenders for the Bushwhacker flares to make room for those 37s.

3344685963_7b3d54c3ce_b.jpg

3345516452_cdd63b5728_b.jpg

Roof needs some love. Really need to finish up the body work (which I suck at) and get some paint on it.

3344701081_fe25ba0186_b.jpg

....and of course my big hurdle at the moment is that the front axle is broken. It NEEDS something bigger than the D44.

3345550514_6353c1b096_b.jpg

More pictures here. Click here for more pictures.:victory:

Cole

Expedition Leader
I wish. Sorry guys. The last year has been a bit tricky. Just no time or money to throw at the truck.

I did manage to take it to several local "car shows" and GTG events. I suppose anything to help spread the word helps no matter how small.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy