My growing obsession with 80's...

I recently had a momentary lapse of judgement and put my Nomad (named) up for sale. Long story short I got cold feet thinking the excet thing Eric mentioned... they don't make em like they used to. The truck has been a dream since day one: I can live out my kid-fantasies of having a sweet rig but it is still pretty civilized for what I've done to it.
I do have one disagreement though: don't get an 80 if you're the least concerned with mileage. I drive like an old man and my 80 hasn't seen 17 mpg since it was stock. The moment I started adding weight/height, it found it's happy place at around 12.5. Driving very conservatively on the highway I get 14. Just some food for thought. You could always throw a diesel in it though.

JayBlack

4Runner vs Landcruiser

Here is the complete story I simply have always "Wanted" a landcruiser,I am at a point where I can get one it will be a DD, I work 5 miles from the house after comparing MPG between the cruiser and a '99 to 00 4runner it is that BIG of a difference ? no... Were some yr cruisers more prone to the HG issue ? looking at a 1997 112K mint int. never saw dirt $5500.00 in Pa , It would be a DD for me with some fire road travel... hmmm still pondering over the 4runner /cruiser. runner drove nice ,cruiser did to .. decision will be made by next week before I spend the money on a kitchen or a new roof .....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Eric mentioned 15... Driving very conservatively on the highway I get 14.

Huuuuuge difference there!:cool:

That being said, the 80 will suit your needs just fine. Seeing as you only drive 5 miles to work, that is only $2.00 each way if you mod the crap out of it and end up getting 10 mpg and paying $4.00/gal. Sounds like bus fare to me! (Try not to get too math heavy with "cost of ownership". You are going to have to put money into maintaining anything you buy.) Everyone here and on 'mud get very into talk of full service history. While I admit that it is a great thing to have, unless the seller has RECENTLY done either a front axle rebuild, or a HG and has used the right parts, it really doesn't mean all that much. The engines and rest of the running gear in the 80 are VERY durable.

All the 1FZ-FE engines (93-97)are potential HG replacement candidates. Some engines had HGs go quite early and some have 250,000 and more with no problem. Toyota has an updated gasket that should take care of it if your HG fails. There is a guy in Oz with over a million on the original 1FZ in his 80. The 91-92 with 3FE are quite a bit less powerful, but pretty bulletproof though.

The 80 is a whole lot more truck than the 4Runner. It will last a LOT longer given the same care. But in the end, both are great rigs. Buy the one that makes you happy!

thecriscokid

Explorer
I picked mine up a few days ago, Fact Locked,170k on chassis, 130 on swapped in motor along with PHH and hoses replaced by Cruiser Conversions at that time. PO was going to build it big but got hit with some expenses and has a nice built taco. He did all fluids, rotors pads, Slee Sliders, Transfer skid, 4x4 Labs Bumper, Front axle service. Had stock suspension, great interior. He asked 9500 and I didn't low ball him. He was very patient with me selling my Tundra, going on a 2 week trip and meeting. I picked it up at Denver airport, drove up into the hills and found a campsite on a snowed in trail around 10,000ft, had a little fun with it too. Next day was off to Slee for OME Suspension to handle the weight of the armor and new ARB bumper that went on plenty easy in there parking lot. I had kept my 285 Yokos that I love off of my truck and will drive them a bit more.
Here are some pics
807.jpg
[/IMG]
806.jpg
[/IMG]
802.jpg
[/IMG]
801.jpg
[/IMG]

eric1115

Adventurer
Looks and sounds like a rig that will give you a LOT of great miles, and already has a lot of the first steps taken. Congrats on the purchase... welcome to the group.

Hi, I'm Eric, and I've got a Landcruiser problem. No, not a problem with my Landcruiser; it runs great and never complains. A problem with me and my Landcruiser addiction. So my wife says. I guess.

rest of circle - Hi, Eric.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Like your sig eric1111111115! We went to get insurance for my wifes Tiguan yesterday and the agent asked what I drove, and when I told him about the 80, he said he had 2 40s... The wife quickly says "No, no, you don't have a Landcruiser! Please god, don't get him (me) started!"

JayBlack

Found a TLC on MUD 4 sale guy lives about 2hrs away has 4 TLC's and owns a garage and has already done the bigger maint. items HG,front end rebuild etc fingers crossed mileage is 146K !! I would have taken a 4runner but I WANT A LC ! for once following my heart I simply WANT THE LC !!!

thecriscokid

Explorer
Found a TLC on MUD 4 sale guy lives about 2hrs away has 4 TLC's and owns a garage and has already done the bigger maint. items HG,front end rebuild etc fingers crossed mileage is 146K !! I would have taken a 4runner but I WANT A LC ! for once following my heart I simply WANT THE LC !!!

Go for it. I always wanted one and then I went back and forth for about a year. I just wanted it too. Life is short, do what you want(within reason)
I am very happy with my new rig

Flagster

Expedition Leader
What do you think of the 4x4 labs bumper...? Fit/hardware/etc... Thinking it is my best option right now...
Thanks
Matt

thecriscokid

Explorer
What do you think of the 4x4 labs bumper...? Fit/hardware/etc... Thinking it is my best option right now...
Thanks
Matt

I'm liking it. I like how low profile it is. I really like the options of removing the can holders,ladders,and bike rack idea. Luke is working on making me a bike rack with a single gerry can behind. I will have that and a double can for non bike trips. Quality is top notch and hi-lift points are a great detail. For some reason the PO wanted the spare on the passenger side. It bugged me at first, but I really don't care anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk