My hilux's next 20 years

aikane

Observer
A little needed maintenance.

Wow, it's been awhile. The gears and locker have been great, I don't even have to use the 4wd at times.
My tailpipe, which was rusted out, practically broke in two on a recent outing. I lucky it didn't fall off at high speed.
b56b11a1.jpg

I bent a replacement using 2" electrical metallic tubing and a hyd. bender at work. Came out pretty decent and saved me some serious coin.

Last edited:

upcountry

Explorer
Glad to see another truck from Hawaii-Ne and nice work un the upgrades.

Big Island has some sick trails - I have spent a lot of time on ranchland trails up in Kamuela and down outside of Hilo in Paradise Park drivng the crzy netowrk of trails and fishing along the coast. Myself, born and raised in upcountry Maui (Makawao), have some good family friends over on Big Island, my God Father is a Helicpoter Mechanic in Hilo. We live in Seattle now (moved here to go to grad school and never left), but my heart is back in the aina.

Nothing says it better than Ua Mau Ke Eia O Ka Aina I Ka Pono.

Last trip over to Big Island from Maui we borrowed a family friends ranch truck (T-100) from Parker Ranch, only he didnt tell me the 4WD hub engagement was malfunctioning (vaccum leak). We drove all the way to the bottom of Waipio valley and surfed the beach break and spent the day hiking and swimming. After dark we started heading up the steep hill (if any of you have been, cant make it up in 2WD becuase it is steep and covered in moss). After several tries, we finally loaded the back of the truck with river rocks and had a couple mokes and titas climb in the back (they were walking up to the parking area at the top and happy to help ballast the truck), we barely made it up.

The whole reason I have a Toyota, and have had several Toyotas is I suffer from Hawaii disease. More Toyota trucks in Hawaii than anywhere in the USA.

Mahalos for the post.

Kauluwela

Last edited:

aikane

Observer
Howzit Hawaiian,
Haha, thats a good Waipio story. I'm embarassed to admit to never having been down there, even though I'm born and raised Big Isle boy. Its definitely on my to do list. Wanna check out the fishing action, heard some mean stories about the place.
I'll post more local pics as I go, gotta make the Hawaii-transplants feel a little homesick. Lol.

upcountry

Explorer
Howzit Hawaiian,
Haha, thats a good Waipio story. I'm embarassed to admit to never having been down there, even though I'm born and raised Big Isle boy. Its definitely on my to do list. Wanna check out the fishing action, heard some mean stories about the place.
I'll post more local pics as I go, gotta make the Hawaii-transplants feel a little homesick. Lol.

And you know were homesick. Mainland has some good, but brahda I miss da wahines and aloha Friday cruzin. We are planning an imu in my backyard this summer in Seattle. Got a source for banana trunk and ti-leaf. Just need some rainforest fed boar to complete the event.
E

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal