My Journey

longhorn1

Observer
We headed southwest out of Big Timber, Montana along Main Boulder Road (Highway 298) passing along the meandering banks of the Boulder River.....I don't know for sure.....after driving maybe 10 miles or so through ranch lands, we entered the Gallatin National Forest.....

View attachment 848707

After a few more miles we found our first place of interest and of course we made a stop.....

View attachment 848708

There were already a few cars parked here when we arrived but it certainly wasn't packed. We walked out to a foot bridge that crossed the Boulder River and from that vantage point, we had a fair view of the rapids above and the falls below, or so it seemed.....

View attachment 848709

I noticed these man made viewing platforms below the bridge, so off we went (never giving a second thought to crossing the footbridge & walking along the trail at the end of the footbridge).....

View attachment 848710

I only mention all of this because it would become important later on in this day.....

View attachment 848711

What we found here was much more than a mere waterfall.....this is yet another example of a disappearing river as the water had cut it's way through the soft limestone rock.....(Foy ? Care to chime in ?).....

View attachment 848712

It's after several hundred feet of no water, that the river reappears as a waterfall.....(this view is actually taken above the disappearing water & the waterfall).....

View attachment 848713

It seemed unfortunate to me that I couldn't make my way down to the base of the waterfall (or could I ?).....

View attachment 848714

Well, I didn't that morning.....but the day was still young. We continued on down Main Boulder Road (Highway 298) taking in the sights. This highway abruptly ends somewhere around Independence, Montana.....approximately 53 miles from the interstate and Big Timber, Montana.....

View attachment 848715

That road was rough, and got rougher as we drove on, and we only made it approximately 43 miles of the way. The views of the Absaroka Mountain Range were spectacular.....and the continuous views of the Boulder River were as well. Maybe one day I'll need to return here with the Jeep.....as I still wonder what's at the end of that road.....it too must be just as spectacular.....

View attachment 848716
The picture with the Gallitan National Forest sign with Lion Head above. The canyon and swing bridge are about 5 miles from my cousins cabin. Sometimes in June or slightly later the river goes subtranian. My cousin has pulled 4-5 bodies out of there. Just a little further down stream from the canyon is property owned by the Levi Straus Family, as in blue jeans. If you take that road to the end there are some old mines and a dude ranch. I need to get back there.

longhorn1

Observer
Me, blather on and on about Montana rocks? Why sure!

As mentioned a number of times since I've been tagging along with you, the thick sequence of Mississippian age carbonates throughout the Rockies (mostly limestones approx 325 to 360 million years old) provides incalculable resource values in terms of groundwater and surface waters as well as plenty of very cool topographic features and hydrologic features. Most are aware that limestone terrains are prone to development of underground voids which we call caves and caverns, The limestone horizon of Mississippian age in Montana is known as the Madison Group and most if not all of the major caves and caverns in Montana are within the Madison. The Madison is a thick rascal of up to and in paces in excess of 2,000' thick, so when you compress it into broad folds then erode it and the rocks over and below it you end up with wild patterns of Madison zig-zagging all over the state. The development of caves and caverns is often shows surface expressions such as sinkholes and is referred to as karst topography. Sometimes karst development comes soon after deposition of the limestone, sometimes later. Either way, some amazing networks of underground plumbing which can move vast quantities of water is the result. In arid climates such as Montana's, limestones are ridge formers due to the relative lack of surface water percolating down as weak carbonic acid breaking up the limestone. Practically any medium to dark gray bluffs, cliffs, buttes, and mesas within and around Montana's mountains are exposures of Madison Group carbonates. Notable examples are the cliffs along the Smith River, the Big Snowy and Little Snowy Mountains, the upturned "palisades" encircling the Little Rockies, and too many ridges and mountains to mention in southwestern Montana. The hydrologic features include the Natural Bridge Falls, where the Boulder River cut into a cavern system at one place and emerges from it in another. The same situation is present at Sinks Canyon State Park in Wyoming, where the Popo Agie River disappears into the Madison before emerging a quarter mile downstream. You have visited the Ice Caves at the crest of the Big Snowies. The Ice Caves are hosted in Madison Group limestones which are draped over an upward bulge of younger igneous intrusions not themselves exposed at the surface. The Madison's underground plumbing system takes in snowfall and rain from the Big Snowies and delivers it back to the surface at Crystal Cascades, whichyou and I have visited, and again at Big Spring down in Lewistown, a good 25 air miles from the crest of the Big Snowies. Madison plumbing also delivers the goods at Giant Spring State Park in Great Falls, where it is the source of the world's shortest river, the Roe River which flows but 200' from the spring to the Missouri River.
So, Yessir, you found yet another special Montana place delivered by the Madison Group carbonates. Keep on exploring and you'll surely find more!
Foy
I think you suggested Sinks Canyon SP to us many years ago. I went fly fishing amongst those mammoth boulders in the river.

Last edited:

longhorn1

Observer
There was one tell tale sign from inspecting the bear scat.....it was Huckleberry season. As we got up higher, I began to notice that the trail wound through many Huckleberry patches.....

View attachment 850161

As we neared a saddle on the mountain, the trail passed through an area mostly bare of trees.....

View attachment 850163

Then we finally reached the saddle.....after about 3 or 4 miles of hiking.....now at an elevation of roughly 9,500' above sea level.....

View attachment 850162

The trail continued on.....marked by stone cairns.....wandered down the other side of the mountain.....

View attachment 850164

But for us.....wanting to summit the mountain.....we departed the trail and now bushwacked our way through this amazing pine forest. I swear that every step we took here, I thought that we would awaken a Grizzly Bear.....

View attachment 850170

View attachment 850174

We came across astonishing rock formations and we seemed to stop at everyone to have a look at the mountains and valleys beyond.....

View attachment 850173

View attachment 850171

We sat on a stone pile at the unmarked summit.....some stones as big as my Ford truck.....

View attachment 850180

We ate our lunch here and quenched our thirst.....and thought.....should we go down.....or should we go on.....

View attachment 850182
Awesome photo

longhorn1

Observer
I should have remember that you had camped around Halfmoon. I was thinking back to the time your camper and truck caught fire. Around September 1st a friend was camping South of Grand Junction, CO, deep in the mountains. His Four Wheel Camper caught fire and he escaped with burns over 50% of his body. He lost both his Labs. They perished in the fire. He was airlifted to the burn unit in Denver. Been on a ventilator, burns inhaled, hands, arms, back, legs. What a tragedy. Long, Long road to recovery. He is a retired school principle traveling full time. He is the only one that knows what happened, and hopefully it becomes a distant memory, and better not remembering anything.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1725232392482.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725232392482.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 26

the deputy

So the new puppy has been with us for nearly a week now and I've been exploring a few different names that seemed to fit. Two names that keep coming back are Bear and Trapper. The issue I have with Bear is that we spend so much time in the wilderness and I'm not so sure yelling Bear in the forest is such a grand idea. So I've been trying out Trapper for the past few days and it may stick. Now the name Trapper comes from my days living in Alaska way back in the 70's. That was my first trip of many to Alaska.....and it was by far the best.....

View attachment 640364

Barely 20 years old at the time.....

View attachment 640368

I had been living in my travel trailer working oil & gas in Wyoming when I decided to head North to Alaska.....

View attachment 640365

The road north was truly a rough road back in those days. I don't recall a single mile of it being paved & it was as remote as it could possibly be.....

View attachment 640366

It was a true adventure back then and it was just a part of my two plus year road trip. I get a kick out of the guys on XP preparing for their "expeditions" to Alaska these days.....I wish that everyone that was born with the explorers blood in their veins could have had the same experience as I had.....it was the Call of the Wild that inspired us to explore back then.....long before Blogs & Vlogs, Likes & Hits.....

View attachment 640367

Arrival in Alaska was not a sure thing back in those days.....the AlCan Highway was known to eat vehicles alive.....mine made it there but not without both mechanical & multiple tire issues.....

View attachment 640370

Once there I camped at a friends homestead.....

View attachment 640369

These were some of the best days of my life.....everyday was a new adventure to me.....life at the homestead was not easy.....5 miles of a mud driveway led to a forest service road and eventually that forest service road led to a paved road.....

View attachment 640371

Those were the days my friends.....

(All photographs shown are actually cell phone pictures of photographs that I found in my storage unit this summer.....I hope that you enjoy).

Hope you don't mind me bringing this post back to the light of day...but it is a spectacular story. Actually, several post before this one and several after.

Funny, just randomly chose a page number (which l do from time to time), 252, of 'My Journey', out of the 359 pages...and this is where it landed me.

Found it quite ironic, considering l just returned from Alaska...but forty years to late.

Just saying "Thank You", for all of these wonderfully motivating posts seems delinquent in worth and hallow in volume. What you've given to others here is priceless.

You have truly "lived it"...

EDIT: And l love the bell-bottom blue jeans...if that doesn't say early-seventies l don't know what does...lol.

Last edited:

ITTOG

Hope you don't mind me bringing this post back to the light of day...but it is a spectacular story. Actually, several post before this one and several after.

Funny, just randomly chose a page number (which l do from time to time), 252, of 'My Journey', out of the 359 pages...and this is where it landed me.

Found it quite ironic, considering l just returned from Alaska...but forty years to late.

Just saying "Thank You", for all of these wonderfully motivating posts seems delinquent in worth and hallow in volume. What you've given to others here is priceless.

You have truly "lived it"...

EDIT: And l love the bell-bottom blue jeans...if that doesn't say early-seventies l don't know what does...lol.
Thanks for bringing that back up. I love the jeep Jerry had and I forgot about "Bear" being one of the options. I definitely agree with Jerry that naming Trapper "Bear" could have been problematic.

Riversdad.....lots of great stuff out there to see.....we're headed back out.....

Arjan.....the knee is the least of my worries. On Sunday I helped a bunch of 20 something guys transplant trees & I pulled a back muscle. I guess my days of acting like a bunch of 20 somethings are long gone by now.....

JD.....that's a sad story right there. The dogs perishing in the fire did me in. I can't begin to imagine that loss.....

the deputy.....I like it that you brought back that post from My Journey. Those were the days my friend.....when I actually was just barely a 20 something.....

Hiking around Twin Lakes for half a day probably isn't what a doctor would recommend to heal a bum knee (it actually had the reverse effect). So our next outing would be in the Jeep. We were up early....long before the sunrise.....

20240906_060002_copy_1600x747.jpg

I love this time of day.....everything is so quiet and peaceful. When I opened the door to the camper to let the dogs outside, I thought for sure that we were miles from another human being.....

20240906_060106_copy_349x747.jpg

Nope.....someone darn near backed into the Jeep picking out their spot for the night.....it's just so hard for me to understand why people like this are even out here in the wilderness (actually it was on the side of a highway).....

Eventually the sun did rise.....and the SUV that we camped alongside (I was there first just you know !) headed north into Montana.....

20240906_064457_copy_1600x747.jpg

And we headed south into Wyoming.....to do one of my least favorite activities (ranks just ahead of fishing !).....offroading in the Jeep.....

20240906_110826_copy_1600x747.jpg

The dogs seemed happy enough with the days' plans.....initially anyhow.....

20240906_115814_copy_996x747.jpg

I can't seem to wander so much while in the Jeep.....like I do when on foot. So I made a plan for us before heading out.....we would check out Sawtooth Mountain (10,217') for a possible climb on our next visit.....if it looked easy.....maybe on this day.....

20240906_095011_copy_1600x747.jpg

20240906_094835_copy_1600x747.jpg

At first the Forest Service road passed through really dense vegetation.....you could almost smell the Grizzlies that lurked around every turn (we didn't see a single bear).....

20240906_095537_copy_1600x747.jpg

20240906_100704_copy_349x747.jpg

After maybe a mile of bouncing around through the dense forest, we drove into the wide open expanses.....it was absolutely beautiful.....the endless skies.....

20240906_102416_copy_1600x747.jpg

We would stop along the way.....get out.....walk around.....

20240906_100230_copy_1600x747.jpg

.....get back in.....drive a little further.....get out.....you get the picture. Finally I parked the Jeep.....

20240906_100648_copy_1600x747.jpg

.....and we took off on foot hiking down the road. Bouncing around in the Jeep had quickly lost it's appeal.....if there was any appeal to begin with.....

20240906_100944_copy_349x747.jpg

That mountain that I spoke of.....it was still a long ways off. And it didn't look like it'd be an easy climb.....it actually looked difficult.....to me.....

20240906_101634_copy_1600x747.jpg

So we bagged that idea, returned to the Jeep, and off we went.....bouncing around on random Forest Service roads.....

20240906_112049_copy_1600x747.jpg

We wandered around quite a bit on foot that day.....ate lunch on a high point somewhere in those foothills.....

20240906_101626_copy_1600x747.jpg

20240906_113243_copy_1600x747.jpg

20240906_113322_copy_1600x747.jpg

We were alone.....nobody was here. Alone to our thoughts.....overwhelmed in the silence. Maybe bouncing around in the Jeep that day was a good thing for me.....simply reminding me of how strong my love of the mountains, and solitude, and challenges really are.....

Screenshot_20240515_070105_YouTube_copy_1600x746.jpg

Ghostdancer.....that was an excellent video. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am now a subscriber. Thanks.....

Dougnuts.....thank you.....

I awoke the following morning thinking that I needed a change of scenery so we backtracked once again to Red Lodge, Montana and from there we drove east, then south and just before entering Cody, Wyoming, we took a backroad further east and finally arrived at our planned destination.....the McCullough Peaks.....

20240907_131926_copy_1200x560.jpg

In the picture above, I'd say that the road doesn't look so steep.....but it was and we had no business taking my rig up it.....

20240907_132828_copy_1200x2570.jpg

We made it to the top of that ridgeline and couldn't have gone more than a quarter of a mile or so before I decided to set up camp on a small flat spot overlooking the town of Cody, Wyoming.....

20240907_201347_copy_1200x560.jpg

We didn't do a whole heck of a lot in the McCullough Peaks.....the plan was to see if we could catch up with a herd of wild horses.....maybe summit a few peaks.....

20240907_190305_copy_1200x2570.jpg

Maybe it was because the Bureau of Land Management had just culled the herd of wild horses that they were just nowhere to be seen.....maybe not.....we didn't see a single horse.....

20240907_152930_copy_1200x560.jpg

We took the Jeep to the "trailhead" to McCullough Peak (6,547').....which was actually the gate for the road to a whole lots of towers.....

20240907_191504_copy_1200x560.jpg

We hiked up to the summit.....only 0.9 miles up a gravel road.....fairly easy even with the bum knee.....

20240907_191648_copy_1200x560.jpg

20240907_191710_copy_1200x2570.jpg

We sat together on the summit.....the three best friends.....took in the 360 degree sights from the summit.....

20240907_193220_copy_1200x560.jpg

20240907_193114_copy_1200x560.jpg

It was close to dusk when we arrived at the summit so it seemed to make sense to stay for the entire sunset.....

20240907_193220_copy_1200x560.jpg

So that's just what we did.....

20240907_192957_copy_1200x560.jpg

That turned out to be a great decision.....there was barely a sound to be heard (there was a slight hum from the cell phone tower equipment that was close by) .....we watched a lone deer pass by below us.....and we saw a lone hawk glide by.....it was utopia.....inspite of the towers.....

20240907_192942_copy_1200x560.jpg

20240907_193027_copy_1200x2570.jpg

We returned to the camper.....it was a near pitch black night. I elected not to turn on the Jeep lights as I wanted to blend in.....it made for an interesting ride back. We drove slow.....and when we did finally arrive, we just sat in the Jeep and took a bit of the night sky in.....

20240907_192508_copy_1200x2570.jpg

In the morning we left our campsite early and were able to watch the sunrise above the McCullough Peaks .....

20240908_065827_copy_1200x560.jpg

In the next picture there's an Antelope that you can barely see in the dark.....

20240908_070506_copy_1200x2570.jpg

In the next picture he's obviously much easier to see.....

20240908_070400_copy_1200x2570.jpg

I decided then, as we were leaving, that it was time to go home and heal up.....a small herd of Antelope watched us as we left the McCullough Peaks behind.....

Screenshot_20240908_185711_Gallery_copy_1200x560.jpg

20240908_070135_copy_1200x560.jpg

Last edited:

ITTOG

I wonder what the dogs think when they look out from the summit and everything is blurry? I guess that is a good question even on the trail given they can't see very far before it becomes blurry.

Great pic of the sun just above the mountains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online