My little welding / fabrication cart project.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Just figured I would post up my little project of the day. I just wanted to have a nice sturdy welding cart, and a medium duty fabrication table. The basic layout is similar to another guy's on the GarageJournal.com, but I did my own little detail to work better for me. It's obviously not finished yet, but its what i was able to get done beofr the wife got home. I have everything to finish it, except for the top. I will get that soon.

You can see in the background my old welding cart.... I whipped it up real quick when we first moved here with some scrap angle iron I had. Its WAY underbuilt even for just a welding cart. With two welders, and a full size argon tank, the small frame and little casters are at the limit for sure!

I used 11 guage 1.5" square tubing for the main frame, 1" 11 gauge square tube for the acillary and cross supports, and 3/8 rod left over from another project for the push handles and clamp hangers. I also had a set of decently heavy duty casters that i have been saving for a project like this. Time will tell if they are strong enough, if not I will re-group.

DSCN1499.jpg

DSCN1500.jpg

DSCN1501.jpg

DSCN1503.jpg

DSCN1504.jpg

DSCN1505.jpg

DSCN1506.jpg

DSCN1507.jpg

DSCN1508.jpg

DSCN1509.jpg

~James

gearbox

Adventurer
Great looking welds! Also looks like it's intended to survive a bomb strike or cart around sheets of depleted uranium. Beefy use of crossbars!

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Thanks! Its going to have a 3/8" thick steel top on it for a little fab work for smaller projects, so I expect the cart when loaded to weigh about 550 pounds. Not sure if the casters are up to the task, but we will see.

~James

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Threw some paint on today after finishing up a few little things, and grinding the top smooth so the top sheet will sit nice and flat. Got everything on it right now. I will see how it does, then add to it/change things as needed. It rolls WAY better than my old cart.... :D

Still gotta weld on the top, and get some cylinder mounts for the back.

DSCN1516.jpg

DSCN1517.jpg

DSCN1518.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk