My M101A2 Expo/Base Camp Trailer

shack

Adventurer
Nice work on the trailer. Not sure how I haven't seen this one before now. Your rack/tent lift is VERY similar to what I did on my trailer. Do you find that the cable in the center of the trailer to pull the rack down gets in the way of loading gear in the trailer?

Funny, I thought the same thing when I saw yours. Honestly I was probably perusing threads on here years ago and read yours, forgot about it and subconsciously channeled your build when thinking of mine. Anyway, to answer your question, not really. Given the width of the a2, I can put large tubs on either side of the cable and it doesn't get in the way at all. When it comes time to haul something large, it kinda gets in the way, but if I really need to I can just undo 2 bolts and remove the pulley altogether. I've thought about moving the winch to the underside of the trailer and replacing the pulley with a fairlead allowing me to crank it down almost fully out of the way. Eventually I'd like to go with linear actuators on all 4 corners and will ditch the winch but it works pretty well and as long as it's not getting in the way too much I'm not in a big hurry to replace it.

shack

Adventurer
You and Mark are making me have intrusive thoughts about dumping my stock surge brakes...

Great build - now I have a case of tool envy, too. :)

I would think you could ditch your surge brake and the axle and be a-ok living in Florida. The only reason I'm going to do electrics is because I want to take it on trails and want/need the added piece of mind here in the mountains.

shack

Adventurer
Been busy this spring. I've replaced the gas springs and winch combo with 4 225lb linear actuators, the wooden battery box with an aluminum work truck box, and the axle with a Rockwell 5200lber with 12" electric brakes, parking brakes, breakaway controller and a matching 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. I'd love to show pics but unfortunately the guys at the axle shop are still dialing in a few details and it will be another week before I have it back most likely.

Also, I was scouring the interwebs earlier today trying to find a suitable mattress pad for the RTT since the original mattress is as hard as a rock. I was about to pull the trigger on a pad on amazon and remembered that there was a JoAnn Fabric store about 5 miles from my office. A quick search online found that they had king size egg-crate pads on sale for 50% off, so I bought 2 of them. Hoping they help out at least a little, but I'll need to get a new cover made that encapsulates everything.

Ironhead Jed

awesome build, just the one i needed to see before starting my project. was thinking about the gas springs option but really like the 4 actuators option instead. any videos of them in operation?

shack

Adventurer
awesome build, just the one i needed to see before starting my project. was thinking about the gas springs option but really like the 4 actuators option instead. any videos of them in operation?

Thanks! No vids yet. Once I get it back from the axle shop, I'll gladly take a couple and post them.

cs0430

Looks great, thanks for sharing! Do I spy another A1/A2 in the background? Man these things are getting popular!

buckne1

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent online looking for just this solution. Can't wait to see the actuators. What is the travel distance of the actuators you use? Is 225 lb the dynamic weight limit of the actuators and is that cutting it close with the weight of your rack, tent, and top stowage? Also, I see you have a rack under your roof top tent. What does that gain you? I thought the roof top tents just need the two cross poles and you are good to go. Thanks - great project.

shack

Adventurer
Yeah, we both had 101's. The other guy I was with chose to use a contractors rack solution to mount his tent and it worked great, though it loosened up considerably wheeling the trail

shack

Adventurer
I can't tell you how many hours I've spent online looking for just this solution. Can't wait to see the actuators. What is the travel distance of the actuators you use? Is 225 lb the dynamic weight limit of the actuators and is that cutting it close with the weight of your rack, tent, and top stowage? Also, I see you have a rack under your roof top tent. What does that gain you? I thought the roof top tents just need the two cross poles and you are good to go. Thanks - great project.

I used WindyNation 16" actuators rated at 225lbs each. I'm more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of DIYer, so I'm not sure about the dynamic vs static weight loadings. However, I can tell you that I have absolutely no problems whatsoever raising or lowering the rack. You're correct in saying the RTT only needs 2 crossbars, but I use the rack for so much more than just the RTT.

I set the whole system up so I can attach the rack to a hoist in my garage and lift it off in one piece so I can use my trailer for utility purposes. I can also just take the tent and awnings off and have 2 hauling areas, which I thought might be handy for doing work around the house. Plywood up top and a load of gravel underneath, for instance.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
well, after a brief break from working on the trailer, it's time to get moving again. I've been planning the next step for a while now and today I decided to come up with some plans-ish. I'll be going down to CAM4x4 in early April to have this work done.

The rack will be based off Mark Harley's concept, but will be adjustable up and down vertically by about 16" or so via gas struts. I'm going to use the existing bows and have a custom cover made to gain more storage space underneath. I'll have to figure out what to do about the tool box though. I like it but its going to be an issue to work around. I'll also have problems opening the lid with the rack in the down position

It will also completely unbolt where needed so I can still use it as a utility trailer.

I'll also be swapping out the surge brake lunette for a 2" receiver and separate trailer jack, as I'll be using a max coupler or equivalent in the near future.

Thank Thank you THank you for sharing your thoughts and design idea. I've been mulling over this very same idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism