My M416 Trailer Build:

72rallye440

I acquired a 1966 M416 trailer last year for a great price. The trailer was in a storage unit in pieces but some of the work had already been done. The worst part of the trailer was the tub, it was in need of a lot of metal work. I honestly felt like I was taking on a project beyond my skill set but I could pass up the price.

I never really thought about doing a build thread because I thought I really wasn't skilled enough to do anything that would add value to the forum. After I got into the build I found that my skill set was at least worth sharing with others. The build has been extremely rewarding and I hope that someone else could get a little motivation with what I've done so far.

My plan- Build a functional trailer to use with the family during the summer to pull behind my 2012 Gecko Green Jeep Unlimited. I will be adding pictures as time permits that covers the build.

No question after getting it home the floor had to be replaced so I welded support braces to hold tub square:

Got help from my son and we started cutting:

I wasn't about to spend $500.00 on a repro floor so I used a nice heavy piece of sheet metal:

More to follow..

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
That was a great score. the frame looks good and a little metal work on the tub and it will be like new.
Are you going to match the lime jeep in the driveway? general hauling or going with a camping theme?
What other changes do you have on your list?

Nice Mopar too!

72rallye440

I removed the 3 braces from the original floor and welded them to the bottom of the new one.

Started welding pin holes and used Por15 on the bottom as well as seams.

Ended up with a warp/bubble in the floor that I tried for days to get out with no luck so its still there. I'm over it, its a beauty mark now. Reapplied a new coat of epoxy primer.

Moving on to the frame that was in really good shape. The previous owner had already replaced all of the hardware with stainless steel.

New shocks from Napa..

Old rims and tires. Tires we replaced with period correct tires and I had the rims powder coated. Turned out nice!

Jump ahead several weeks of test fitting, finding missing parts, etc. Finally got it on the ground.

72rallye440

A good friend of mine is in the automotive paint business so we set out to match the Jeep Gecko Green in a single stage paint. Staying on the theme of doing this project myself I wanted to paint it but understanding I know nothing about paint. It took weeks of testing color swatches and it turned out to be a VERY difficult paint to match. However, he did it and it was spot on!!

Not a color for everyone but I personally like it. The trailer will never be straight but I didn't want it to be. Its a military trailer used as such and I love the way it looks.

Next step, Raptor Liner:

72rallye440

That was a great score. the frame looks good and a little metal work on the tub and it will be like new.
Are you going to match the lime jeep in the driveway? general hauling or going with a camping theme?
What other changes do you have on your list?

Nice Mopar too!

I guess you can see the color choice now was Gecko Green. I was really doubting it at first but I think it looks awesome.

I made a bumper out of a CJ7 bumper along with levelers.

Used the original military lights (in one of the pictures) but gutted the old 24V system and retro fitted LED's in the housings.

Working on the lid right now but the trailer is currently in storage for the winter. I plan on finishing up the lid and hopefully adding a CVT RTT if all goes well.

I will be adding more pictures later of some of the detail work listed above.

72rallye440

Very nice. Perhaps add a drain for the floor?

I actually added 2 marine grade drain plugs in opposite corners right before winter. This was only after we took it out on a trip in the rain. I was impressed with how well I filled all the little holes in the tub. :)

72rallye440

Nice project, I take it the Challenger is part of your screen name? Looks like a sweet ride. As well as the JK.

Yes sir it is, it's actually a 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye with a factory 440- 4 speed. I added a 6 pack for a little more fun. Had it forever, it's like one of thE kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven