My M416 Trailer Build:

72rallye440

Big thanks to Flashole for the help with the lid dimensions which helped a TON! Here's an update on the lid and I'm proud to say it is done!

72rallye440

I thought I would also pass on a little personal experience on the gas shocks that was a trial and error fiasco at best!

The lid is 1" square tubing and the "skin" is 14 gauge steel. I would guess the lid to weight about 175 pounds total. I started with 2- 175lb shocks and that was way, way to much and after putting 2, 100lb kids on it trying to close it I knew it wouldn't work.

I followed up with 2-75lb shocks and they worked but it took a little too much effort to get it open and when closing it slammed shut within about 18" of being closed.

Finally I moved to 2- 125lb shocks and all thought I think 100lb would work I'm sticking with the 125's. Opens perfectly with little effort but closing takes both hands and a firm pull to get it started. If I do decided to add a RTT I think it would be just fine.

Hope my rambling helps someone out there tackling the same project.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
I thought I would also pass on a little personal experience on the gas shocks that was a trial and error fiasco at best!

The lid is 1" square tubing and the "skin" is 14 gauge steel. I would guess the lid to weight about 175 pounds total. I started with 2- 175lb shocks and that was way, way to much and after putting 2, 100lb kids on it trying to close it I knew it wouldn't work.

I followed up with 2-75lb shocks and they worked but it took a little too much effort to get it open and when closing it slammed shut within about 18" of being closed.

Finally I moved to 2- 125lb shocks and all thought I think 100lb would work I'm sticking with the 125's. Opens perfectly with little effort but closing takes both hands and a firm pull to get it started. If I do decided to add a RTT I think it would be just fine.

Hope my rambling helps someone out there tackling the same project.

I just went through this designing my lid. I am waiting for the lid to be fabircated and then I need to mount my tent, but I think I've got the shock length and load rating such that I'm about 40lbs at both open and close to overcome the lid weight. There were some good links I found to explain the forces, you can look them up in this thread
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/81419-Which-Struts-for-a-steel-M416-Lid

72rallye440

I'm looking for some input or advise. I'm running the original Pintle and lunette and do not want to change (I like it). I want to add a tongue box to my M416 (pictured).

I have an extra lunette ring that I want to cut down and extend about another 2 feet. Any advise, do's, don'ts before I do this?

Thanks in advance..

72rallye440

I spy a Charger :victory:

1972 Rallye Charger 440 4 speed, B5 blue, B5 blue interior, track pak (Dana 60), with left over 71 RamCharger hood. One of 129 4 speeds built in 72 and one of less that 17 with a originally equipped RamCharger hood option. I added a 6 pack for fun...

Thanks for noticing!

Greenjp3b

That is the the best resto/ modifi M416! I appreciate that you kept the stock wheels & NDTs. too often M416s are so over built you can't recognize what they were. Good work and enjoy.

67tank

Observer
I'm looking for some input or advise. I'm running the original Pintle and lunette and do not want to change (I like it). I want to add a tongue box to my M416 (pictured).

I have an extra lunette ring that I want to cut down and extend about another 2 feet. Any advise, do's, don'ts before I do this?

Thanks in advance..

Really Outstanding Job. I like seeing other 416 owners keeping it close to stock as possible. As for the lunette - I kept mine stock. That's my preference. I like keeping the trailer tucked in close to my 83 Cj /13 Rubi and I like the way it tracks behind. The lunette is drop-forged (got it from Midwest Military) and if you cut and extend.....you will creating a weak point. I did bend my drop forged one on the rubicon trail one year but i probably shouldn't have taken my trailer on that trail.

However, my buddy extended his coupling (ditched the lunette) on his M716 trailer and he is very happy with its performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven