My new trailer

Photobug

I drove 10 hours to pick up my new trailer. It is heavy duty, way overbuilt. I don't plan on using it for extreme overlanding, more forest service roads, and dispersed camping. I may need some help here on how to upgrade the suspension to handle the loads i will be adding, possibly a popup truck camper.20190927_135624.jpg

old_CWO

That seems like a lot of squat on 3/4 ton truck with just a camper shell and utility trailer, even a sturdy one.

Smuggling gold bars in the tongue box or what?

I do like the idea of using a utility box for a trailer, all that built-in lockable storage is awesome.

Photobug

they're pretty heavy to start out.

Yes it is and the reason it is squatting is I have a lot of stuff in the truck bed as well. The truck is 8800 lbs normally. My trip to the dump had me weigh in at 11600 lbs. The back is filled with tools, project supplies and full camping gear. When it stops raining next week I will figure out why it is squatting. Is it a tailer thing or a truck load configuration thing.

Photobug

Just started my research on my trucks capability. My truck drives around at Max Gross weight daily. I did not know that till yesterday. With cabinets in the back, camping shell, camping gear and roof rack my truck weighs about 8800lbs before being loaded up for a trip. After putting my truck on a diet, removing all tools, repair supplies the truck and trailer was 11,240lbs today.

Photobug

holy moley. and I thought my savanna was heavy at 6k.

My rig is not a lightweight overlander but more a forest service dispersed camping rig. I am needing a second 4wd vehicle soon will consider something a bit more nimble. In the mean time I appreciate what you can suggest to get my truck and trailer in better shape. Dodge's are famous for steering issues. I am working with a shade tree mechanic on Friday to install a new front end.

Photobug

@Photobug Why the ladder rack AND roof rack on the cab?
Funny you should ask, kayaks. Then too lazy to take off the roof rack after adding the lumber rack. Also I have created a changing, shower, potty room using the roof rack. I have designed an alternative to that using the ladder rack, while considering adding an aftermarket outdoor shower.

Photobug

I am going to need to extend the tongue to give some clearance to the overhang of a trailer. I am thinking of removing the pintle hitch which is welded on with a surge brake system tied into the original brakes from the truck chassis.

I don't think the surge brakes are working. I beleive the surge activator works well in conjuction with an OEM truck axle vs a surge brake axle which is designed to work in conjuction with an activator. I will likely replace the axle with a 5,000 lb axle with electric brakes in the spring.

In the mean time i need to extend the tongue. The interior diameter of the truck frame is 3 /14" opening. It looks like steel tubing comes in 3" or 3 1/2/" diameters. Here is my plan, tell me if you think this would work:

20190930_113000.jpg20190930_134209.jpg20190930_133449.jpg20190930_134255.jpg

I am going to need to extend the tongue to give some clearance to the overhang of a trailer. I am thinking of removing the pintle hitch which is welded on with a surge brake system tied into the original brakes from the truck chassis.

I don't think the surge brakes are working. I beleive the surge activator works well in conjuction with an OEM truck axle vs a surge brake axle which is designed to work in conjuction with an activator. I will likely replace the axle with a 5,000 lb axle with electric brakes in the spring.

In the mean time i need to extend the tongue. The interior diameter of the truck frame is 3 /14" opening. It looks like steel tubing comes in 3" or 3 1/2/" diameters. Here is my plan, tell me if you think this would work:

View attachment 542454View attachment 542457View attachment 542452View attachment 542453

I'd ditch that axle for a trailer axle with brakes. That rear end look heavy as all hell.

Photobug

I'd ditch that axle for a trailer axle with brakes. That rear end look heavy as all hell.

That's the plan. I need to get the tongue extended to accomodate a trailer. There are a ton of popups coming on the market now. I can get one and have a place to store it indoors in winter. Put a 6000 lb axle with electric brakes in the spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad