My soon to be '90 Hilux

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I'm an old man and my very first new vehicle was a 1990 extra cab Toyota pickup like that. I owned it for 20 years and put over 485,000 miles on it. I had 4 or 5 small notebooks with the gas mileage listed and anything that was done to the truck from just a light bulb or wiper blade to stuff like tires and brakes. The red paint was faded and there were a couple of small spots starting to show a bit of rust, but overall the truck was in great shape and still ran great too. Being an old man can be deceiving thought too as my truck made the trip to Moab 7 times during the Easter Safari and did trails for a couple of weeks. It wasn't the "just driven to church on Sunday" vehicle that people look for.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
How much is a rust free bed from a salvage yard going for these days?
Is it worth your time, fabbing up a flat bed...or is better to pay a little more and slap on a "new" bed?

I get where you're going with this, and I'll take a look, but I'd bet its north of $1000 around here. They are ALL rusty. Maybe I'll look in SoCal and Az junk yards as I'm going to be down there at the end of March.

Edit: Just checked car-parts.com, and a "rough work box" is $650, "major damage, 7 hrs of bodywork" is $750, and a "C" grade box is $1650. Not gonna happen...

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The old bed is out in the far corner of the yard awaiting a full load to go to the scrap yard. I have my flat deck 90% complete. Just have to get a couple of pieces of flat bar to make the rear skirt and decide which lights to go with. Tossing back and forth between round ones inset into the skirt, and Jeep style truck lights just behind the skirt. I've seen both look good, but I think I'd need 4 of the round ones and only 2 Jeep style. I'll have to check prices...

I'll post up some pics when I get it mounted on the truck. We've all seen steel being welded up before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77