My summer project (haha) e350 van build

deezdrama

Adventurer
The "haha" refers to me thinking this would be a quick summer project when in truth summer is almost over and just now getting the ball rolling on the build part since I just got this thing running right.
First I just want to say, I'm making this thread to more or less have a journal of the build but if it helps anyone or anyone actually reads through it for fun thats just a bonus I guess.

A little backstory.... At the beginning of spring I started looking for a small rural piece of land to buy to put a small cabin on to have a camping spot and getaway. Nothing panned out so started looking for a utility trailer to convert to a tow behind camper. Was looking at RV's at one point and somehow stumbled upon a post about a sportsmobile and thought it was awesome. At that point I didnt even have a clue that people bought or converted vans for camping,living,etc.

Tons of research and reading/videos later I decided to look for an e350 extended cargo van. I had a minimal initial budget which I actually had to cash in a gold coin I had to buy the van I found.
Found a 2002 e350 v10 super duty on craigslist. It was described as having "a miss" to it. Now Im not new to ford modular motors as I have two 4.6 crown vics and a 5.4 navigator and from experience I was hoping the van just needed coils and plugs or maybe it had a clogged catalytic converter. Boy was I wrong.... But Ill get to that later...
Anyway. I took my nephew with me about 40min drive out of town to look at it. My nephew had to hurry and get back in town so didnt have alot of time to thoroughly inspect it. Underbody and frame was solid. it started right up. Bargained him down to $1100 and was on my way home with it. It took forever to get it up to speed. I thought the cat was clogged. It died twice but managed to get it home without much issues.

This is how it sat when I got it home. Had a wall built in the midsection that would have to be torn out, and had to get it running right before starting the conversion. And so the fun begins...

Screenshot_2016-05-15-10-39-57-1.jpgScreenshot_2016-05-15-10-39-51-1.jpgScreenshot_2016-05-14-18-29-53-1.jpg

(((((Sorry for the picture orientations..... Ive rotated them on the computer and they show up right in the preview but arent right once posted.)))))

Attachments

• 20160520_171340.jpg
    20160520_171340.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

deezdrama

Adventurer
First thing I did was to spend a whole day gutting everything out. What I found was very saddening. After pulling up the rubber flooring I found it was all damp and the floor had badly rusted with quite a few spots rusted through. Crazy because from underneath it looked solid. I later found 3 leaks and learned the stock padding trapped condensation in and learned through email from seller it was a previous pool supply vehicle so was probably subjected to an array of chemical contact. You can see my boy looking as overwhelmed as I was lol.

20160521_165440.jpg

Last edited:

deezdrama

Adventurer
20160522_181103-1.jpg20160521_104619.jpg20160525_202804.jpg20160616_152205.jpg

I then spent about 2 months of weekends and spare time after work and money when I had it (or didnt lol) trying to get to the bottom of the miss it had and lack of power/acceleration.
My bluetooth scanner I could not find. The $20 walmart scanner would not connect, and the amazon scanner I bought connected but gave no details for the 1 fault stored in the pcm.
I ended up throwing new part after new part at the thing blindly (stupid I know)

I started with new plugs and coils. Found they had both recently been replaced.
New IAC, new pcv, fuel filter, o2 sensors, cleaned maf, checked catalytic converter by pulling it and giving it the flashlight test...it was fine. But there was a pre cat or pre ignitor or something before the cat that previous owner cut a slot out of for whatever reason. I assume they thought the cat was clogged and I dont know if there was honeycomb in this thing and they knocked it out but it was empty except for a pipe that ran through it. It left a nasty exhaust leak I would have to fix later. I ripped out the rusted exhaust and installed a 2 chamber thrush muffler that dumps by the back wheel. on and on

Eventually rented an Innova scanner and it worked so bought one to have. The code was P0340 which is cam sensor related. At least I had an idea now.
Replaced cam sensor. Didnt help, cleaned connections, didnt help, soldered on new connectors...didnt help.

Last edited:

deezdrama

Adventurer
20160604_124545-1.jpg
Bought a fuel pressure tester...was good. Tried everything minus a new pcm.
Was about to give up and then read that a bad alternator could be the cause. Pulled mine and found a shot and rusted voltage regulator connector plus the alternator had a bad bearing noise so replaced it. Soldered on new connector and thought for sure the problem would be fixed since the voltage from the alternator was not being regulated and battery read really low when engine was running. I thought maybe the pcm and or fuel pump/injectors were being undervolted......
Still didnt fix the problem.

Last edited:

deezdrama

Adventurer
20160612_161045.jpg20160801_162834.jpg
At some point durring all the frustrations of getting this running right I found 3 leaks. One in cowl area, the windshield corners, and the rear door windows.
Cleaned the cowl area and installed new seal, filled windshield leaks with black silicone, pulled rear windows and spent a day removing the butyl glue and scraping black paint off the windows with a razor.
Re-installed windows using butyl tape. Leak free now but still not running right...

Last edited:

deezdrama

Adventurer
20160710_181413.jpg20160711_175439.jpg
At this point I spent another week or so researching the problem and asking questions on forums and got a couple suggestions to pull the front timing cover to investigate a possible broken guide/jumped timing chain.
What the hell....went for it as a last ditch effort.
Found a missing crank pulley bolt which was a clue to the later discovered problem.

Last edited:

FDM2012

Adventurer
Vacuum leak? How do the brakes feel? Try pulling the vacuum line to the brake booster and holding
your finger on the vacuum line, to see if the booster diaphragm is bad.
And I am guessing that you checked the PCV hose where is connect to the vacuum port at rear of
intake manifold? Those boots have a nasty habit of going bad.

deezdrama

Adventurer
Spent a few days after work and a weekend when I had time to pull everything off the front cover and getting inside to investigate.
Found a trashed trigger wheel, the missing crank bolt let it wobble around on the crankshaft untill the keyhole was eventually sheared out of it.
The guides, chains, and tentioners were all good but I would be stupid to not replace them while in there.
Ordered the parts. Had to get crank bolt and trigger wheel from ford. Got my timing set from cloyes on rockauto. Got new cam cover gaskets which were $70 and crap compared to stock silicone ones.
Between doing the work and waiting on parts, and having to rebuy tools like torque wrench and pulley remover that were loaned out and people never brought back ....it took me a few weeks to get everything in and buttoned up.

20160710_181413.jpg20160716_180148.jpg20160716_180043.jpg20160729_233239.jpg20160730_173717.jpg

deezdrama

Adventurer
After getting everything buttoned up and replacing fluids.....

wait for it......

VICTORY AT LAST!

No cel light, great power/acceleration/torque ! Runs great!

But soon notice the radiator is cracked and leaking the $60 of fresh fluids I just put in it.
Arrrggggggggg!!!!!!

Another part I need. Oh well ....at least its running right!
Just welded up the hole in the exhaust last weekend and started on interior.

deezdrama

Adventurer
20160806_182334.jpg20160611_195818.jpg20160806_190738.jpg20160806_192147.jpg20160806_211101.jpg

Laid down a second coat of por-15 rust inhibitor this last weekend..... Oh ya, forgot to mention that earlier.
Right after I got the van and had it gutted, I hit the floor good with a grinder and wire wheel. Shopvac'd it and wiped it down with acetone then gave it a coat of black por-15 rust inhibitor/treatment.

Then I laid down some rubberized aluminum faced roofing tape in the front cab area. A few small holes I patched with aluminum flashing patches secured with rubber roofing cement. Im sure rivets would be more structurally secure but went with the waterproof properties of the roofing cement.

deezdrama

Adventurer
Last Sunday, I got the front cab area put back together and a new radiator ordered. Some progress in the right direction....finally!

20160806_174215.jpg20160807_133524.jpg20160807_133449.jpg

deezdrama

Adventurer
20160812_144532.jpg20160812_144559.jpg20160812_145518.jpg20160812_145716.jpg

So.....
I get home from work yesterday and see my radiator package beat to hell. =(

Holes in the box, tran fittings bent/cracked. Pull it out and the tank is cracked like it was thrown around. Not happy!!!!!
The manufacturer of the radiator (sunbelt) severely underpack these for such a large and fragile item.
I sent the seller a thorough message and pics and still waiting for reply.
This will be a couple week setback. Too bad because this was last thing I needed to get done to start driving it to work to make sure there are no more surprises.

deezdrama

Adventurer
So this is where It stands right now.
Have to deal with the radiator issue, then plan on laying down some rigid foam board on the floor and cover it with a good grade 1/2" plywood and carpet it to match cab area.

Couple ?'s.....

Anyone have any info on these rims? I have 3 on the van, the 4th rim doesnt match but found the matching one under the van as spare but the rim was curbed and has big chunk of aluminum missing. I really like these rims so need to get the 4th one repaired or find a replacement , I just have no clue what they are.

Second question.... After re-installing front seats etc.... Im left with this wire harness but dont remember if it connected to anything, I dont see anything that it connects to. The main connector attaches at the pillar behind driver seat, but then theres a connector on each side of the harness that I dont see anywhere for it to plug in to.

20160522_173031.jpg20160807_135830.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk