My Tiger XL AWD build thread

dar395

Adventurer
Here's some interior pics!

View attachment 243952

View attachment 243951

View attachment 243953

My girlfriend, Erin, is all about making the interior look pretty. So she started with the curtains that she felt was too dark for the small space. So she took a brighter pattern she liked and made some new curtains.

View attachment 243954

View attachment 243955

The curtains are lined with a black fabric. The black lining, combined with the dark tint on the windows, make it look like no one's home. From the outside with the curtains closed, it looks like there's just super dark tint on the windows. Which I like for boondocking. It's always a dead giveaway that someone is sleeping inside their vehicle if you can see all the curtains are closed, but if it looks like a vehicle with just dark tint you don't think twice ;)

Very Chic! Almost not roughing it at all.

benjamin_smith

Some general maintenance

As with any older vehicle I purchase, I start off with some general preventative maintenance.

I switched to full synthetic Mobile 1. I decided to try the "high milage" stuff, being a little worried about switching to synthetic causing new leaks.The engine seems to like it so far over the past 700 miles.

I noticed that the coolant temp was a little be all over the place, so I replaced the thermostat. It seems to have helped a bit, but I think some fresh coolant is in order.

IMG_3165.jpg

The in dash oil pressure gauge was a little sporadic, pegging to full pressure for a half a second then dropping back to normal. I swapped out the oil pressure sensor which fixed the problem.

IMG_3168.jpg

I noticed a bit of smoke coming out of the oil fill tube, so I replaced the PCV value hoping that there isn't any other major issues causing the smoke.

IMG_3169.jpg

I read that these Astros go through fuel filters as fast as oil filters, so I replaced mine. The old one didn't look too bad, but it was cheap.

IMG_3159.jpg

I also installed a tach. I've never driven an Astro, or anything that weighed this much, so it was hard for me to tell how hard I was pushing it going over the passes we have here in Colorado. The install was super easy, there's already a single wire ready for a tach.

IMG_3170.jpgIMG_3172.jpg

benjamin_smith

Roof Racks

Our first trip in the Tiger involved some river surfing down in Buena Vista, CO. Without any roof racks, we ended up cramming boards inside… less than ideal.

I decided to install a Yakima rack using Wide Body mounts. I've used this same mount on my Westy for years without issues.

IMG_3197.jpg

The install was pretty basic. Drill some holes, use the supplied washers, bolts and nuts, and seal everything up with some silicone.

IMG_3200.jpg

I mounted 1A Raingutter Towners and 86" crossbars to the mounts. A note to anyone using 86" Yakima cross bars: they require special end caps. I had to order these after realizing that normal end caps don't work.

All the hardware together weights quite a bit especially with the 86" bars. I think it'll be fine for hauling surfboards, kayaks, or skis, but I wouldn't want to put a roof box up there and cram it full of gear. We'll use it for lighter bulkier items that don't have a lot of weight.

IMG_3198.jpg

To reach the racks, I picked up a telescoping ladder. It seems decent, but I'll probably end up mounting a ladder at some point.

IMG_3196.jpg

Overall I'm happy with the way it turned out. I'm thinking a about mounting another set of cross bars towards the front for more storage or solar panels.

IMG_3173.jpg

ihatemybike

Explorer
When Basement Yeti had his Tiger GT we looked into rebuilding the tail light assembly using 4 standard round LEDs units per side. We were going to do one white inboard for backing and 3 red lighting sequentially for braking/turning (kinda like some of the new Mustangs do).

java

Expedition Leader
Very nice Tiger. Can I suggest not using silicone on the rack mounts next time. It degrades, and nothing will stick to it ever again. I like 3M 5200 if you don't ever plan to remove it again, or 4200 if you do.

benjamin_smith

Very nice Tiger. Can I suggest not using silicone on the rack mounts next time. It degrades, and nothing will stick to it ever again. I like 3M 5200 if you don't ever plan to remove it again, or 4200 if you do.

Good tip! I'll do that for the next set.

benjamin_smith

When Basement Yeti had his Tiger GT we looked into rebuilding the tail light assembly using 4 standard round LEDs units per side. We were going to do one white inboard for backing and 3 red lighting sequentially for braking/turning (kinda like some of the new Mustangs do).

I definitely want to upgrade the tail lights. They are pretty dim in full day light. Was there any particular tail light assembly you guys found that was a direct (or almost) replacement? HMR put some nice one's on his old Tiger (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/38228-Our-quot-new-quot-Tiger?p=833491#post833491) not sure where he found those.

ihatemybike

Explorer
We were going to cut an aluminum panel to mount where the 3 current lights are, then cut the holes in it to mount the round lights.

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Saw you guys in CKS last weekend, we were in the EB E350 with the high top. Pretty sure we surfed w you guys one day in Glenwood this year, unless there are more than one river surfing dudes of "Asian" appearance with dreads running around CO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

benjamin_smith

Saw you guys in CKS last weekend, we were in the EB E350 with the high top. Pretty sure we surfed w you guys one day in Glenwood this year, unless there are more than one river surfing dudes of "Asian" appearance with dreads running around CO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember seeing your rig! Yep, that's me: river surfing, Asian dude, with dreads. I'm definitely looking forward to using the Tiger at Glenwood next season.

Jb1rd

Explorer
More river folk, awesome!!!!! I live in the Vail Valley, hope to see you guys on the river, I have the H'airstream with the obscene roof rack! (and hopefully a lift and better suspension by next season :) ) I have a bunch of friends in BV and will be making my way around the state to other boating/suping destinations. Feel free to PM me so we can rally, its always nice to have a crew!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven